There needs to be a serious QOL improvement in this game when it comes to crafting...

nafeasontonafeasonto Meow Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207824Members
Anything in storage bins, lockers etc, needs to be able to be pulled from.

So when you go make something (ESPECIALLY with the builder) it should pull directly from your lockers. This game isn't realistic by any means of the imagination (creating things out of thin air). So this QOL improvement would go a LONG way.

I have been playing this game from SUPER early access, and honestly the most boring thing about this game is going back to your lockers or your base to get ingredients. Have it where it can be PULLED from the lockers.

I hope this gets MOD support because this is the first thing that needs to be done.

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited January 2018
    Resource pooling (from nearby lockers) has been requested many times, and IMO is in the top 10.
    UWE has (unofficially) said they intend to implement some of these improvements. However, this will likely happen after the 1.0 release.

UWE intends to add limited mod support (PC only), but that will happen after 1.0.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    They should look at Factorio and learn from that game.

It's okay and fun to do stuff manually at the start. It's very fun and rewarding being able to automate certain stuff. Being able to make a more advanced fabricator machine that can pull from storage, now that would be awesome and rewarding for the medium game.
  • misterwugglesmisterwuggles Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235081Members
    I don't think they mean full on factory scale automation. More like a modded Minecraft progression where you go from full manual to machine assisted for efficiency. Like (in Minecraft) I'll go from manually processing ore to just putting it in a chest next to a processor and then it slowly pulls from that to process it or something like that. Just simple/basic automation that cuts out small repetitive steps. Don't remember enough about Factorio to reference that but I'd guess they just mean like the super basic early game machines and how you can basically just assign inputs and outputs and it handles the transferring of materials automatically.

Kind of how you go from hunting for stuff manually to having the help of the Scanner room.
  • NathairNathair Canada Join Date: 2015-08-17 Member: 207221Members
    Don't remember enough about Factorio to reference that but I'd guess they just mean like the super basic early game machines and how you can basically just assign inputs and outputs and it handles the transferring of materials automatically.
    I understand that. The difference is that in Factorio you are literally working with hundreds of thousands of bits and components in huge assemblies grinding away for hours and hours to produce thousands of final products. In Subnautica, on the other hand, big projects contain a few dozen components and are generally produced individually, sometimes only two or three times in an entire game. Where we do repeatedly use something, like med kits or water, there are automated systems to produce them. Introducing factory automation just seems like a solution looking for a problem.

• HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    This isn't like many survival games where you have to do a lot of crafting.

At most you need one of every technology. Plus food (if you're cooking) and ammo (if you're using it - I don't).

I'm not against this feature but it would save almost no time for me and I definitely wouldn't qualify it as a desperately needed QOL change.
  • jperry5529jperry5529 Join Date: 2018-01-17 Member: 235118Members
    the system makes me post one time.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Automation is one of the things I've never felt a need for in Subnautica. It'd be very out of place.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    I can understand the desire for such a mechanic if building a large structure at once as opposed to over time but beyond that, the amount of extra coding needed for it to properly function makes this feel like more of a post 1.0 'icing on the cake' kind of update.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited January 2018
    The original request has nothing to do with "automation". It has to do with making it "not annoying" to fabricate.

Currently, a person that hasn't memorized all of the recipes has to go to the fabricator, look up the recipe, try to remember where they left ingredient X, go get it, and make sure all the ingredients are in inventory before being able to build.

The suggested approach would allow you to open up the fabricator, and let you build, pulling ingredients directly out of nearby lockers, if necessary.