Natural Selection 1 vs Natural Selection 2

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited January 2018 in NS2 General Discussion
We were talking on discord about how much changed between between Natural Selection 2 and Natural Selection 1.
Here's a video of some NS1 gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0b1rle2k8
[EDIT] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpa64xAib08

What are the differences that you can see (or remember) between the two games, and which aspects of NS2 are better/worse than NS1?

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Is that NS1 in that video? It looks like Combat to me.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2018
    It's NS1 Combat, but things that I see in that video that I wish NS2 had are..
    Hivesight Icons
    First person evolving/gestating with dynamic fov
    Regenerating health/healing sounds for alien structures
    View shifting on heavy damage/death
    Web weapon slot
    Audible pain noises
    Cloaking percentage bar
    NS1 alien hud bars (yes I know ns2+ has an option for it)
    More doors
    Pronounced blood spray effects
    Combat gamemode

Though despite that list of things I love about NS1 that I wish NS2 had, the thing that can stay in NS1 is alien movement, NS2 alien movement in my opinion is drastically easier to use and the NS1 lerks and fades specifically felt like trying to fly a bus.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2018
    Some time ago I re-recorded an official nightcupmatch from 2008.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9dCGxf6LlyNkyaQ4GkJ9tA
    Quality isn't good, but still you know how it worked

Since I tried ns1 a while ago to record the demo, I noticed some annoying things which does ns2 better
    - Field of View... it's insane how low the FoV in Halflife1 engine was... I was used to it, but trieing to play it now feels really bad
    - hard to turn Mouseacceleration off (wasting a lot of time)

What I miss in ns2 - or what ns1 did better:
    - Basically the good hitreg, the instant reaction you get... I had a rifle of 50 bullets - 11 were needed to kill a skulk... If I concentrage and they bunnyhop at me - 3 skulks were seriously possible to get down
    - GorgeWebs... just shoot at two Spots at a wall and the Web appears between those two spots

- The lack of bugs after every patch ... like the sounds sometimes get dismissed and stuff
    - A way to play with low fps... I had a fucking weak PC but I could just use max_fps 60 or something and it worked fine and looked even fine...
    - HMG (20 Damage 125 Bullets, wide spread, awesome sound ... in terms of balance the damage would be something like 15 in ns2)
    - The quickness of fades, the real bunnyhop
    - As a Marine the doublejump / silencejump (Which you see me do in the video)
    - Balancing was done with the community (From what I noticed they worked more closely with the ENSL and it was possible to find a fair balancing for pubs and for competitive, so there was no need for a compmod... later existed a compmod but it was only to avoid abuses with settings or to handle pause or how to start a game)

- ns1 Combat... was like normal ns1 only a bit modified with later upgrades.. not like an outsourced game which is completely different
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Handschuh wrote: »
    - The lack of bugs after every patch ... like the sounds sometimes get dismissed and stuff

Wait, are you saying ns2 is buggy? Disregarding the flamethrower issue, when was the last time ns2 has had any serious bugs?
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2018
    Aaaah, the good ol' 4:3 ratio, where's my FoV at! Although you can play it at 16:9 now on the latest and greatest Goldsrc :D

But this is combat on ns_lost and ns_tanith? How does that work? I was under the impression the game mode was selected based on the "ns_", "co_" and "co_aa/co_mm" prefixes. Not to mention the fact the map required a different entity compiler set for each custom game mode :open_mouth:

^Wait a minute this ain't combat, they are just shotgun rushing, not even building the initial IP. So it looks like combat, well played had me fooled for a bit! :D

He did kinda forget to mention the vastly superior netcode, hitreg and proper collisions in this third generation quake tech compared to Spark. Oh and the awesome and most of all, the accurate sound engine!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I really loved how the deliberate placement of hive locations meant they could be so much more atmospheric. You really felt like you were descending into the bowels of the ship when you found a hive.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2018
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Wait, are you saying ns2 is buggy? Disregarding the flamethrower issue, when was the last time ns2 has had any serious bugs?

I'm sorry, ofc ns2 is always bugfree, bugs are instantly fixed like the percentage-"hpbars" and crashes never ever occur
    putin-cyka.jpg Just like the
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members

I'm sorry, ofc ns2 is always bugfree, bugs are instantly fixed like the percentage-"hpbars" and crashes never ever occur

Don't be silly, of course they occur.

Those are features. I just wish they are properly documented in the change log.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    edited January 2018
    What I miss from NS(1)
    - Relocate CC anywhere on the map.
    - Mine ladders.
    - CO
    - Primal scream 4 lerk.
    - location specific beacon sound.
    - Searching for and killing the last player from the loosing team.

What I don't miss from NS(1)
    - Players hitting F4 if a win looked difficult.
    - Bunny hopping, Wall strafing.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    What i miss from NS1 is NS1.
    Bunnyhopping was the best thing about aliens/kharra.
    Marine Double jumping/wall sliding was the best thing about marines.

The end.
    Archie wrote: »
    The end.
    You don't miss that you could actually dodge the grenadelauncher-hits?

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The end.
    You don't miss that you could actually dodge the grenadelauncher-hits?

Here's my thoughts, perhaps you might nostalgia out a bit,
    Audible squeek as a grenade is ejected, knowing the physics behind the bounce followed by timing the bounce right on audio cue alone proportionate to where you are standing transposed to where the gun was actually shot. From that little audio flutter as the grenade(in my case the shuttlecock if you will let me visualize for us in this moment) hits the ground and you have only a moment to dodge in the midst of being fired upon by marines with HMGS, you exit the room with explosions behind your ass only denting a slight part of your armor and the marines wondering what a fucking mess they just made with the bullet spray on the walls, i miss everything. :)

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerklift, primal scream, acid rocket, heavy armor/shotgun trains.. oh my
    edited January 2018
    I just live-streamed this video, i decided i was going to load up a random demo from my 90gb + personal archive :D i suppose you could say it's entertaining, don't mind the poor gameplay,
    features a few people you might recognize.

I'll post some more when i can, if anyone needs some more information withen the video, like peoples rates, aliases, special commands etc i can provide.
    @Archie too bad teflon havent bought NS2... i miss his antics :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2018
    Aeglos wrote: »

Don't be silly, of course they occur.

Those are features. I just wish they are properly documented in the change log.

Putin putting the bug in bugs

Yojimbo wrote: »
    Lerklift, primal scream, acid rocket, heavy armor/shotgun trains.. oh my

Cloaked Onos with devour, scared the crap out of a buddy of mine who made his first steps into NS as a greenie marine :D

He did yell at me, but that's what I feed on :trollface:

Also!
    - Egg spaypaint
    - Hive mind and bitching Betty talky bits like, "The enemy approaches", "Sentry firing", "Do something about it"
    - Builder Gorge!!!!!!!!
    - "DooDooo" sound

.trixX. wrote: »
    @Archie too bad teflon havent bought NS2... i miss his antics :D

Haha bloody teflon and his "kogelbiefstuk", typical Dutch sarcasm. And the bloody uncensored banter, very recognizable :D
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I miss not killing cysts and not building power nodes. And the direct focus around the 2nd hive.
    I miss the games that continued for multiple hours. Often by the end of the game a decent portion of the original team would have left and you'd have an entirely different group of players on your team.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Mouse wrote: »
    I miss the games that continued for multiple hours. Often by the end of the game a decent portion of the original team would have left and you'd have an entirely different group of players on your team.

I can't imagine that happening with NS2 nowadays. I get frustrated if games are over 45 minutes.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nintendows wrote: »

I can't imagine that happening with NS2 nowadays. I get frustrated if games are over 45 minutes.

I get frustrated too, but my first game of NS2 was 8 hours long.
    edited January 2018
    Nordic wrote: »

Bunch of lightweights. We're still locked in an epic battle over here on Nancy, trying to find Noname...
  • BaronBadEggBaronBadEgg Join Date: 2018-01-18 Member: 235167Members
    edited January 2018
    Ns1 was fun because you could mess around more, import silly models easier. Although it may be easier in ns2 now, haven’t played in several years.

Oh and hi! Randomly thought I’d see how things were going.
    edited January 2018
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »

Bunch of lightweights. We're still locked in an epic battle over here on Nancy, trying to find Noname...
    owo9akkq4mxq.png
    here's another game, this time herakles is commanding, you might notice that i also tended to follow the waypoints of only good commanders :) except when it deviates away from the meta, not a fun game to be honest.
    here's another game, this time herakles is commanding, you might notice that i also tended to follow the waypoints of only good commanders :) except when it deviates away from the meta, not a fun game to be honest.

I have so many questions!

Why does everything look so cartoony? Why does the beacon make no sound? Why is the pistol so strong? Why did you only get 20 bullets when the commander dropped you ammo? Why is there creep on the walls in marine territory? Why do you keep "throwing" grenades but no grenade projectile ever gets thrown?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2018

I have so many questions!

Why does everything look so cartoony? Why does the beacon make no sound? Why is the pistol so strong? Why did you only get 20 bullets when the commander dropped you ammo? Why is there creep on the walls in marine territory? Why do you keep "throwing" grenades but no grenade projectile ever gets thrown?

Toon skin pack, some players preferred using it because it makes players stand out more.
    I dunno about the beacon sound.
    Pistol has always been a beast if you can use it.
    NS1 Ammo packs only gave you one gun full of ammo per pack.
    Infestation was pre-placed onto maps by the mapper as there wasn't a infestation system like NS2 has.
    You could prime the grenade throw in NS1, it was a trick that if you hold the fire button as the grenade was about to be thrown, the grenade would still be in that animation state until you let go, this would let you prepare the grenade and throw it instantaneously at the sight of an alien.
    There were "official" scripts out there that you never needed to hold it... I pressed a mousebutton and the grenade was thrown instantly

Pistol was strong, you could empty your clip instantly, but it was hard to aim if you were against really good players who knew how to dodge... I could for example strafe left and right and I had a high chance that only 1-2 bullets hit me while someone was trying to pistol me...

I dislike the fact that you never ever see the minimap open :<