"Preparing the day's water ration, ahead of time. . ."

baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
"Preparing the day's water ration, ahead of time, will help ensure against dehydration, and eventual death. "

This has bugged me for some time now. Shouldn't the word "eventual" actually be "untimely"? I know drinking water is good for you but you will eventually die regardless; it doesn't make you immortal.

Comments

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Don't they both communicate the same meaning? (Maybe one over the other)
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I think in the context of this sentence eventual relates to dehydration.

If I told you that jumping out of a plane would result in great G-force and eventual death, would you think that I meant dying of G-forces from the fall or of age in seventy years? Maybe you think the latter, I just think that the majority would draw a link between the cause and effect. I do think that ultimately would be better than eventual though.
  • dasCKDdasCKD Join Date: 2017-11-14 Member: 233978Members
    To be honest, I'm not sure about the utility of that advice. I've always played a bit fast and loose with preparations for food and water but I've never really ran into a situation where I died because I had no food or water left. It's ridiculously easy to find sources of water and food in the environment if you know where to look.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited January 2018
    dasCKD wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not sure about the utility of that advice. I've always played a bit fast and loose with preparations for food and water but I've never really ran into a situation where I died because I had no food or water left. It's ridiculously easy to find sources of water and food in the environment if you know where to look.

I always saw it as being more flavor text than actual advice personally, perhaps a little of both.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Perhaps aging has been cured in the Alterra future?
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Perhaps aging has been cured in the Alterra future?

Background story spoiler ahead. Followed by wild speculations (Who has too much free time ?).
    Paul mentions getting his liver replaced and hoping to get to 160 (80 as of recording the memo + 80 more years IIRC) if he wasn't stranded on 4546B.

As the Aurora is sent as a rescue mission about 10 years later, it seems unlikely that significant life expectancy changes happened since that memo. Also, Paul is very certainly extremely wealthy and seems to wish to have a long life, so it seems likely this value is near maximum available life extensions.

If water preparation advice is targeted at Joe average worker, and assuming organ replacement is what gives most of the life expectancy boost while also being the most expensive acts, I would guess his life expectancy should be around 80, or even less if Genghis Care was repealed *cough* sorry, couldn't resist *cough*. Unless Joe average space worker is already well above Joe average stuck-on-earth worker.

As for the main topic of which word conveys this meaning the best, I'll leave the debate to native English speakers...
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited January 2018
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I think in the context of this sentence eventual relates to dehydration.

If I told you that jumping out of a plane would result in great G-force and eventual death, would you think that I meant dying of G-forces from the fall or of age in seventy years? Maybe you think the latter, I just think that the majority would draw a link between the cause and effect. I do think that ultimately would be better than eventual though.

That's not the same thing as what the game is saying. An equivalent statement would be to say putting on a parachute will ensure against your eventual death. (It won't. It'll just postpone it.)
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    dasCKD wrote: »

I've been playing for 11 months. Within my first month, I'm sure I died at least once (but definitely no more than twice) from starvation/dehydration.