VR status

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
With the PC release of Subnautica imminent, what is the status of VR?

It appears work is continuing at a limited pace, but is still very rough around the edges. However, if it is not functional and immersive on day-one, this needs to be made clear on the Steam website. Doing an official VR release post-1.0 is a reasonable alternative.

P.S. With polish and controller support, Subnautica could become a must have for any VR player.

Comments

• QboQbo Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223264Members
    edited January 2018
    I agree. A VR update would be amazing. This game could be one of the best VR games.

Touch/Vive controller support would allow the player to spin in their chair without being held back by the Xbox controller cable.

Hand tracking does not need to be applied to the character's hands, but it would be nice.
  • AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    I don't think touch/wand controls should be a prioity at this point. A wireless controller solves your woes and they should focus on optimizations and fixes to long standing VR issues.
    edited January 2018
    Controller support is a long standing VR issue. An extra purchase of a wireless controller shouldn't be necessary if the game has VR support.
  • AnemoneAnemone Join Date: 2018-01-09 Member: 234926Members
    Been looking forward to this game launching so much - the VR was terrible before so i really hope they’ve done something to improve the comfort aspect. With a dynamic vignetting system like in Eagle Flight this could become THE vr-game to get.
    edited January 2018
    Anemone wrote: »
    Been looking forward to this game launching so much - the VR was terrible before so i really hope they’ve done something to improve the comfort aspect. With a dynamic vignetting system like in Eagle Flight this could become THE vr-game to get.

To expand on what you said, the vignetting is a system that blurs the peripheral vision when you move to prevent the sickness that comes from moving with a joystick (especially turning). I can play Subnautica for about an hour before my stomach doesn't like it anymore.

Being able to spin in real life would also give a way to turn without inducing sickness.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We'll likely be doing some VR fixes after 1.0.
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    Now that story cinematics are available in VR (I see the cure one was added after latest update), my personal "VR annoyance list" (using a Vive) by decreasing order of annoyance is:
    • gaze cursor targetting does not match gaze cursor in cyclops driving HUD: I have to aim bottom-left of all buttons to activate them. The gap is sometimes huge: aim for normal speed to activate slow speed, turns engine off.
    • also when driving cyclops: activating external cameras shifts real world coordinates to match whatever is decided as the direction the camera is pointing at (BTW, not sure how that is decided, I could not find a regular pattern, cameras do not seem to either retain previous orientation nor reset to straight front/back). So if the camera is aimed straight front of cyclops, real-world "straight front" is now 30° right. Leave camera, cyclops front is now 30° right. Re enter camera: front is now IRL 60° right, etc. Navigating tight spots requires a wireless controller and a rotating chair. Climbing the ladder recenters the view, so having one nearby is handy, but that kind of breaks immersion.
    • boarding the cyclops requires looking up, which I find rather painful and initially was trigerring motion sickness. I do not have any motion sickness now (played over 160 hours in VR) but that look-up is still something my neck does not enjoy. Hatches are ok, being level or downward. Seamoth is perfect as it is accessible from many angles.
    • mesmer's camera takeover does not reset when out of mesmer's grasp, so up/down/left/right are now tilted IRL, sometimes very significantly when the mesmer was a lot lower/higher than player's horizontal. Entering a vehicle/hatch resets orientation. (note: this was especially noticeable around late august 2017 when I started playing subnautica, now I tend to successfully avoid mesmers or otherwise quickly adapt to VR world shifting around - maybe this is fixed ?)
    • moonpool fabricator's activity light flashes are way too bright. Likely less of a problem on screen, but in a headset it is borderline painful - and I do not suffer from epilepsy.

None of these are really game breaking, and the VR experience is already very good, and I felt something was missing in the few short occasions I played subnautica on-screen.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    Qbo wrote: »

Touch/Vive controller support would allow the player to spin in their chair without being held back by the Xbox controller cable.

Hand tracking does not need to be applied to the character's hands, but it would be nice.

what are you talking about. wireless Xbox 360 /one controller /ps4 controller/ steam controller say hi.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We'll likely be doing some VR fixes after 1.0.

Cool. Guess I'll wait another handful of months :(. I've spent more time waiting then playing this game.
  • nimotelperionnimotelperion UK Join Date: 2018-01-11 Member: 234962Members
    I got the game on Saturday and have clocked up ~30 hours in it in VR already. You guys have made a truly amazing game!

I'm using an Xbox One controller and as far as I'm concerned there are only two places I've had issues:

1) I can't for the life of me enter any codes into door code panels. I've tried moving my head everywhere but I can't get any of the buttons to highlight.

2) I can't effectively pilot the Cyclops as I can't get it to register some of the controls and the rest I have to figure out where it thinks they are which is difficult to say the least. I've not tried out much else on the Cyclops because of this.

There are some graphical glitches (fish swimming inside my base, the space ship front spars being visible from a very long way away, base internals resolving before the outer shell being the main) but I can overlook those due to amazing and truly engaging game play.

Seriously, thank you for making this. It's awesome!
    I believe code panels and cyclops UI buttons is the same issue. Try aiming bottom-left, about one button away from the one you are trying to press.
  • DeeHawkDeeHawk Denmark Join Date: 2017-04-05 Member: 229424Members
    Even tough I've played Subanutica in VR for 80h over the past 15 months, It's still just a gimmick, while it should be a big part of the release. Not because I personally want to play it like that, but because it has huge potential for being the #1 VR game, and it's slowly losing that potential as newer titles arise.

Subnautica currenty has an endless list of issues, which would scare most VR users from buying. Mainly that you need a 1080ti to run above Low settings without heavy framedrops. My 980ti runs it flawless on max settings on a 1080p monitor, but in VR, Lowest Settings brings the framerate to a nauseating level. Have hoped for a fix for over a year, but it seems optimization for VR is not prioritized for 1.0 release.

At least we recently got the HUD working, now you can actually see your O2, health and hunger!

Current plan for me is to replay the game in the far future, when computers are powerful enough to run it. It's barely playable as of now on top of being possibly the most nauseating VR experience on Steam. Being one of my favourite games for years, this makes me really sad.

As a final note, this is not bashing of the devs or their decisions, it's just my honest opinion expressed as objectively as possible considering my emotional input.
    vpelletier wrote: »
    I believe code panels and cyclops UI buttons is the same issue. Try aiming bottom-left, about one button away from the one you are trying to press.

Thanks for the advice. I've figured out the door panel buttons. I have to move my face forward to move the cursor onto the buttons and then figure out where it thinks the panel is that time as it changes each time I log in. I've managed to open each door with a bit of effort though now. I still can't hit some of the Cyclops controls though so I've got my big yellow submarine ready to go once they sort that out. I'm pretty happy to be patient as I'm still having a massive amount of fun without it at the moment.
    edited January 2018
    DeeHawk wrote: »
    Even tough I've played Subanutica in VR for 80h over the past 15 months, It's still just a gimmick, while it should be a big part of the release. Not because I personally want to play it like that, but because it has huge potential for being the #1 VR game, and it's slowly losing that potential as newer titles arise.

Subnautica currenty has an endless list of issues, which would scare most VR users from buying. Mainly that you need a 1080ti to run above Low settings without heavy framedrops. My 980ti runs it flawless on max settings on a 1080p monitor, but in VR, Lowest Settings brings the framerate to a nauseating level. Have hoped for a fix for over a year, but it seems optimization for VR is not prioritized for 1.0 release.

I bought it Saturday before last and have clocked up 49 hours in VR so far. I'm not getting any motion sickness (although I'm not prone to it anyway) and I'm only getting frame rate drops when in the mini sub and turning really quickly. It's mostly smooth for me and I'm pretty sure I've got graphics on a medium setting. I'll check later but it looks really nice, whatever the settings are on. I'm using a 980ti as well so maybe they have optimised things a bit since you last tried.

There were some really good quality of life improvements in the last release as well.

I'm very hopeful that they'll sort out some of the VR issues fairly soon after the initial release. It's by FAR the best VR fun I've had since buying my Rift. My wife has announced she's a Subnautica widow :smiley:
    I have to move my face forward to move the cursor onto the buttons and then figure out where it thinks the panel is that time as it changes each time I log in.

I tried a bit, but I could not reproduce a difference based on how much I move forward. I have a Vive though (Because Linux support ! The number of games being simultaneously Linux and VR is another story sadly), maybe the tracking method difference could explain ? Not sure what UW uses to test when developing.
    DeeHawk wrote: »
    Mainly that you need a 1080ti to run above Low settings without heavy framedrops. My 980ti runs it flawless on max settings on a 1080p monitor, but in VR, Lowest Settings brings the framerate to a nauseating level.

It works very acceptably for me on a 1060 with 6GB on-board and at max graphic preset (I did not try to push the options which are not maxed-out in this preset).

In the beginning (I started with the ghost update), I must admit I had to avoid quick moves so I could keep playing. Little by little I got more used to it so I could be biased in current performance feeling. The HUD was a much bigger issue to me, especially for the first base I built: the hull integrity messages are just above the VR field of view, so I took a long time (and my first visit to the wiki) to figure out why there was water everywhere and no amount of fixing would let it dry. And since IIRC the cuddlefish update there are these Cyclops & keypad aiming issues which are not game breaking, but puzzling nonetheless.
    vpelletier wrote: »
    In the beginning (I started with the ghost update)

...and actually I remember now I was on a 950 at that time (below minimum recommendation for VR anyway), and then yes I had to pu all setting to minimum. I believe UW improved performance since then too.