REAPERS CLIP THROUGH THE TERRAIN CONSTANTLY ACROSS ALL VERSIONS, BUT I HAVE AN IDEA FOR A QUICK FI

TacticalHogTacticalHog Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230229Members
What if the Reaper AI had a rule where it maintains X amount of feet/meters from the terrain, close enough to grab a player on the seabed, but far enough away where it'd clip into it's invisible wall, so it'd barely clip into the actual terrain

I've never coded anything, and only know basic environment design, so this mght not be at all possible lol

Comments

• JckingJcking Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227344Members
    edited January 2018
    If you look closely, both the reaper & ghost leviathan only have collision/hit boxes on their heads and the rest of their mesh is unaffected. Fixing that would only require changing the collision box for the entity so that it encompasses the entire mesh, but then you would run into problems with the AI having difficulties navigating terrain that it should be able to move (e.g. caves). At the time that the reaper leviathan was made, it was probably perceived to be easier to only have the head as a collider and drag the rest of the body around. this is (presumably) why you have reaper and ghost leviathans clipping through terrain.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    On top of that the clipping issues has to do with rendering as when you get close to a reaper it starts rendering its model but takes a bit of time to load its collision box which causes him to go through terrain and stay that way for some reason
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    The reaper is loaded in before the terrain so there isn't anything for its hitboxes to collide with when it spawns.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Is there a way for the reaper not to spawn until in rendering distance? Or am I just talking out my arse?
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    edited January 2018
    ... but it was fixed like 3 days ago...
    Jonas made it so that reapers can raycast into the terrain octree to check their distance...
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Glad that they finally found a solution that works even for far away terrain. I could also see this being used for some other fauna like Jellyrays on a smaller scale to make it to that their trails clip into the terrain less. In general I think most larger fauna could use a toned down version of this actually, because I've seen things like Ghostrays go through terrain too.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Crabsquids go through terrain as well.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    All they need to do is find out why the rigidbody 3D isn't reacting to the collisions.
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    All they need to do is find out why the rigidbody 3D isn't reacting to the collisions.

It does react to collisions, the terrain colliders are just turned off to save performance.