Update 320 - Merry Gorgemas! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2017 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 320 - Merry Gorgemas! - Natural Selection 2

“Twas the night before Gorgemas when all through the base, Not a creature was stirring not even a MAC; The Hydras were placed by the Command Station with care, In...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Props to everyone involved! What a crazy patch this was..
  • LasLas Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227070Members
    The section

Dissolving ragdolls no longer stop or absorb bullets (Contributed by Katzenfleisch).

This affects Babbler, Resource Tower, Hive, Player and any other ragdolls from blocking any following damage or bullets. This is quite a notable change for the attentive shooter, and we think it feels much more responsive. Let us know what you think!

is incorrectly under flamethrower
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Props to everyone involved! What a crazy patch this was..
    That's an understatement...

And many, many thanks go out to the Playtesting crew! Those guys are awesome.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    ooo... so when a room goes dark the texture lights will change color to match now too? Hurray been wating for that change for a long time.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2017
    aeroripper wrote: »
    ooo... so when a room goes dark the texture lights will change color to match now too? Hurray been wating for that change for a long time.

Almost. Only the _models_ are affected. The mapper created geometry is unchanged. However, NS2 maps use a lot of models in its levels, so the change is pretty pronounced imo. I also added support for toggling other things on/off, such as various holograms in maps.
    Eventually, I'd like to expand this to include ambient sounds and animated machinery (fans, crusher in mineshaft, etc.).
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Just tested it, it looks a lot better even if it only affects the models. Good job Nin! Are you guys planning to add new rendering effects at some point down the line? I've always felt that the bloom in this game looks a bit... broken? I imagine full HDR would be time consuming to implement.
  • MaMuSMaMuS Join Date: 2009-10-09 Member: 68990Members
    It seems that I'm now being kicked in every server for being AFK for too long... is the AFK detection code broken for linux users?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited December 2017
    "Exp now costs 55 res" FINALLY!! A change that has been needed for some time.

Edit: For an initial reaction (played 5 games so far) the FT buff feels like it was a bit too much. I'm pretty sure I saw a single lone FT Marine solo a full hp gorge and full hp skulk in seconds... without even reloading.

Played 4 "real" games.. Aliens won 3, Marines won 1...
    In the 3 Aliens won, Marines never even got the FT unlocked. (comm researched everything else first - as per the usual 'correct' build order)
    In the game Marines won, the comm rushed FT and they decimated the Aliens (Over 20 kills for the top 8 Marine players, while there were only 2 Aliens with over 5 kills)

My 5th game was against bots, and using the FT I was able to easily solo 5-6 bot skulks with a single clip... Even with my god-awful 5-10% average accuracy!

Double edit: Also there's a bug with the annoying snowball thing that prevents clicking on the armory during pre-game.. So there's no way to test the FT outside of a 'real' game.
  • LasLas Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227070Members
    MaMuS wrote: »
    It seems that I'm now being kicked in every server for being AFK for too long... is the AFK detection code broken for linux users?

I can confirm that there are problems with shine and AFK, not just on Linux. Might not be the same issues you are experiencing though: it never went as far as actually being kicked, only being moved to RR.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I rather li
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    "Exp now costs 55 res" FINALLY!! A change that has been needed for some time.

I think the double-railgun nerv is much more important... normal exos you can easily crush or spike down
  • navazkanavazka Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209825Members
    edited December 2017
    Still the same, after more than 2 months (of complaints)...
    Natural Selection 2/x64/ns2_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libsndio.so.6.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It's not even mentioned in the Known issues section...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    aeroripper wrote: »

Almost. Only the _models_ are affected. The mapper created geometry is unchanged. However, NS2 maps use a lot of models in its levels, so the change is pretty pronounced imo. I also added support for toggling other things on/off, such as various holograms in maps.
    Eventually, I'd like to expand this to include ambient sounds and animated machinery (fans, crusher in mineshaft, etc.).

This can already be done. :) There's a not-advertised "powered" animation_graph parameter that is passed to prop_dynamic objects. The repair arm in tram already does this. :) Would be nice though if there was a way to do this that didn't require adding in animations specifically for "stopping" the animation. Would be nice if we could just slow the animation down to 0.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    1. Rail double shot is a skill technique, part of learning . Let it be. Just tune the dmg so a lerk bio2 or skulk bio5 doesn't die instantly.
    2. FT burning dmg should be lower than hive healing otherwise the only counter is a gorge.

And oh yeah, FT is buffed as hell. Will the devs start doing those buff/nerf cycles so players don't get used to a single weapon/creature?
  • SamdamanSamdaman USA Join Date: 2015-12-07 Member: 209802Members
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the patch guys! after some more testing the flamethrower isn't that bad.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is an insane changelog. Good job.
  • SamdamanSamdaman USA Join Date: 2015-12-07 Member: 209802Members
    Nintendows wrote: »
    What's the point in having a server whitelist if server OPs are going to reject your balance changes and modify the game within 24 hours of them going live?

You gotta be careful taking servers off the whitelist though, take the Luckyfuckers server for example, they got taken off the whitelist and they died... an entire community. Especially with how low the player count is, it could actually kill the game.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Samdaman wrote: »
    What's the point in having a server whitelist if server OPs are going to reject your balance changes and modify the game within 24 hours of them going live?

You gotta be careful taking servers off the whitelist though, take the Luckyfuckers server for example, they got taken off the whitelist and they died... an entire community. Especially with how low the player count is, it could actually kill the game.

Maybe ask the server operators to keep the change for a week or so to collect data/feedback.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited December 2017
    Maybe the change was just really THAT bad...

When a flamer can solo a skulk and gorge on a single clip... there's no arguing that isn't broken.

This is the same dev team that thought boneshield having a super heal was a good idea after all.

Also Luckyfuckers was easily one of the best servers. Crazy to think we lost that entire community because of some idiotic and completely pointless whitelist nonsense.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Maybe the change was just really THAT bad...

When a flamer can solo a skulk and gorge on a single clip... there's no arguing that isn't broken.

This is the same dev team that thought boneshield having a super heal was a good idea after all.

Also Luckyfuckers was easily one of the best servers. Crazy to think we lost that entire community because of some idiotic and completely pointless whitelist nonsense.

There are a few server communities that survive without being whitelisted. They just have to reach outside of the game (discord, forums, steam groups) to get their populations. If a server dies solely because they lose UWE's quickplay players, they didn't have much of a community to begin with. Because of that, I think Luckyfkers shut down for other reasons.
  • ItsAFeatureItsAFeature Join Date: 2017-11-27 Member: 234139Members
    The flame thrower is extremely OP now. Diamond servers have already nerfed them. Check out some pub servers, it's not good.

They only had 2 months of working part-time to balance it for this patch, you can't blame them for messing up multiple things with such little time on their hands.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The flame thrower is extremely OP now. Diamond servers have already nerfed them. Check out some pub servers, it's not good.

They only had 2 months of working part-time to balance it for this patch, you can't blame them for messing up multiple things with such little time on their hands.

However, could it be... Bad planning issues on their part :trollface:
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    R.E. people being surprised by changes and rejecting them from their server... Playtesting applications are open to everyone. Please consider applying and using your voice before changes go live rather than getting the pitchforks out after the fact.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2017
    Foxy wrote: »
    R.E. people being surprised by changes and rejecting them from their server... Playtesting applications are open to everyone. Please consider applying and using your voice before changes go live rather than getting the pitchforks out after the fact.

While I do agree that there are more constructive ways of providing feedback than the pitchforks many people use, playtesting is not accessible to many. I playtested for a short while before burning out a bit, and then also running into other time commitments. 4:00pm Tuesday and Thursday, or 12:00pm Wednesday are not easy times for me to commit to anymore nor is it any easier for many other people. It is not a simple thing to become a playtester.

I think it is a good thing to encourage people to playtest and share their voice in a constructive manner, but the way you worded your post sounds a bit off. Given the the typical time commitments that are hard to make for many, it sounds like telling a poor person that if they don't like being poor maybe they should get a second or third job. Surely you don't mean it quite like that.

For those interested, here is a link to the application.
  • BingoWingsBingoWings UK Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194253Members
    Flamethrower – Based on community feedback, our previous Flamethrower buffs were not enough for the weapon to feel viable on it’s own. Please try these changes thoroughly before providing your updated feedback!

I think someone got carried away with festive optimism ;)
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »

While I do agree that there are more constructive ways of providing feedback than the pitchforks many people use, playtesting is not accessible to many. I playtested for a short while before burning out a bit, and then also running into other time commitments. 4:00pm Tuesday and Thursday, or 12:00pm Wednesday are not easy times for me to commit to anymore nor is it any easier for many other people. It is not a simple thing to become a playtester.

I think it is a good thing to encourage people to playtest and share their voice in a constructive manner, but the way you worded your post sounds a bit off. Given the the typical time commitments that are hard to make for many, it sounds like telling a poor person that if they don't like being poor maybe they should get a second or third job. Surely you don't mean it quite like that.

You're right, I don't mean it like that and I agree the times are not convenient for others. It does feel that there is a missed opportunity. Perhaps playtesting could focus on bug fixes and there be a balance test introduction focused solely on things like this. Open up the balance group to a wider audience, organise a time to get together on a server etc.

You're right, I don't mean it like that and I agree the times are not convenient for others. It does feel that there is a missed opportunity. Perhaps playtesting could focus on bug fixes and there be a balance test introduction focused solely on things like this. Open up the balance group to a wider audience, organise a time to get together on a server etc.

The playtesters are also required to sign a very broad NDA/copyright assignment.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

The playtesters are also required to sign a very broad NDA/copyright assignment.

In generally that only is tied to the "new features" or "breakthroughs" are not to be made public. Oh, and "don't steal our shit" :D