Update 319 - Anniversary! - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• ActionBastrd461ActionBastrd461 Florida Join Date: 2015-06-19 Member: 205593Members
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    It does give aliens yet another way of winning the way by outlasting marines instead of simply playing better. (Mostly through stomp.)

In practice, though, this doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I've been playing Ghoul's mod for quite some time now, since we run it on the SCC server, and it doesn't come up often. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen stomp on two hives.

Aliens winning by attrition is a much more fundamental problem and this change won't affect it all that much, except in rare edge cases.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Hit registration feels worse? It seems very inconsistent.
  • navazkanavazka Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209825Members
    I'm still getting:
    ns2_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libsndio.so.6.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

on Fedora 26. Any reason to not simply include the lib?
  • ThomasNSThomasNS Join Date: 2011-02-19 Member: 82484Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Thanks for the great work
  • Das19Das19 Nederland Join Date: 2015-01-23 Member: 201011Members
    Sadly I mostly post when I have something to complain about. So to start of thx for all the patches lately that atleast for me made the game better.

But with this update i have a game breaking issue with mouse input. whenever i get frame rate drops my mouse input gets lost. simplest example is that if i move move mouse to turn 90 degrees at a bad moment my pointer on screen actualy stays still, or moves only part of the way. when rooms are empty or 1 oponent is there and i get 120+fps this is no issue but when attacking bases or crouded rooms and i get around 80 fps i can't even hit ppl that are standing still.

playing on dx9 lowest settings on a 64bit
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Performance improvements are amazing! Clocking steady >100fps.

FT changes are underwhelming so far. Still losing 1v1 against skulks regularly, and not getting much impact from the flame pools. Might be that I suck with it and need to learn.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    A very efficient strategy for Marines right now is to rush the from the Alien start nearest tech points and lock them down. Blocking Aliens from getting a second Hive forces them to regain control over those tech point or get out-teched pretty quickly. The Biomass 4 research offers Aliens the opportunity to compensate the lack of control over tech points through their economy. Allowing them to get access to much needed abilities to fight back Marines. Locking down tech points will still be a strong strategy for Marines as you deny Aliens a upgrade path and spawn tickets that way. However it’’s not enough to focus solely on locking down the tech points anymore.

It just occured to me that this tactic is largely an unintended by-product of the change from random spawns to opposite spawns.

With the old random spawn system, on a 4TP map, there was a larger chance you would spawn in adjacent spawns, than in opposite. A direct result of this, was that both teams had a generally 'safe' 2nd tech point, that the enemy had to make a serious attempt to take, potentially putting at risk development of their own natural.

Having fixed opposite spawns killed those adjacent instances, and made the tactic of rushing to both of the Alien naturals viable in every round on a 4TP map.

Humans and nature are always looking for the lowest common denominator, because path of least resistance and all that, and the fewer spawns options available enabled a reliable strategy to work.

It's a bit of a connundrum with this game. Players want consistency, so they can work timings like in RTS games, but the game experience benefits from having more variations to deal with. Always a delicate balancing act.
  • PIMPLEPIMPLE Ukraine Join Date: 2016-06-04 Member: 218100Members
    I'm still getting:

ns2_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libsndio.so.6.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

on Fedora 26. Any reason to not simply include the lib?

Getting this too on Manjaro! Please help.
  • detectordetector Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187984Members
    wasabione, the question on everyone's lips:

are we ever going to get prizes from the horizon bracket of the world cup?
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    detector wrote: »

I think you need to use an @ symbol, like this: @WasabiOne
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nintendows wrote: »

The @ wasn't necessary. He won't respond about that subject.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »

The @ wasn't necessary. He won't respond about that subject.

@WasabiOne Can you make a statement about that?

#JusticeForTheNS2WCHorizonBracket
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What prizes did the horizon bracket consist of?
    I think I vaguely remember something about t-shirts.
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    What prizes did the horizon bracket consist of?

The cup website is down so I don't know if the prizes were specified somewhere there. But Hugh pasted the rules on this forum:
    Hugh wrote: »
    16. Prizing
    (a) Throughout the course of the contest, the organiser may announce prizes applicable to various stages. The form, terms and conditions of those prizes will be detailed if and when they are announced, and the organiser does not guarantee the provision of any prizes to any player or team.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2017
    Lol is that all the fuss was about, a bunch opposite sex repellent t-shirts, GG :D

Wasabi is probably doing you a favor by not sending them lol.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    When will they answer the reddit question thread they started?

...did they start an AMA and not answer any questions?

Got a link?
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Vetinari wrote: »

Got a link?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/4uku2z/collecting_questions_for_a_qa_with_the_devs_video/
    Well, I guess PR never really has been their strong suit.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well, I guess PR never really has been their strong suit.
    giphy.gif

Got a link?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/4uku2z/collecting_questions_for_a_qa_with_the_devs_video/

"What action goals would the developers like to have completed by January 1st, 2018?"
    Well, I guess they did answer this one.