Hull Reinforcement?

RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
What exactly is this module supposed to do? It had its recipe changed recently to be more expensive, now costing titanium, lithium, and several diamonds and the description state that it "hardens the hull before collision, eliminating damage under normal conditions"

But what does that mean? The exosuit as far as I can tell doesn't take damage when it falls to the seafloor no matter how high up in the water column you were so it's more or less just creature attacks.

I recently installed it into my Exosuit but I noticed the Bonesharks were still doing the same amount of damage as without it. To test something, I also let them bite my seamoth with and without it with the same effect. Finally, I also tested running into things in the Seamoth... Always did the same amount of damage per collision, with and without the module.

So what's the point? What does this module actually do? When is it useful? Is it just not working as it should, or is there something I'm missing here?

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I still can't tell what it actually does. Maybe a piece of lithium should be thrown into the recipe and the upgrade should like.. reduce overall damage taken from ramming into stuff and getting ripped apart by sea creatures do 15% less damage per reinforcement added.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited December 2017
    I still can't tell what it actually does. Maybe a piece of lithium should be thrown into the recipe and the upgrade should like.. reduce overall damage taken from ramming into stuff and getting ripped apart by sea creatures do 15% less damage per reinforcement added.

It being overall damage reduction would be nice, especially since Bonesharks really tear the Seamoth apart in no time flat - and they don't just wander around in small loosely formed groups like the Stalkers or Sandsharks, oh no they travel in SWARMS and any biome they live in is infested by them.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I don't know what it does, if it even does anything.
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    I don't know what it does, if it even does anything.

I'm not sure it's ever done anything to be honest. For as long as I can remember, it would say it'd "prevent damage on collissions" but even tapping into fish or coral in the shallows would damage the seamoth as if it weren't even installed.

Considering it's been made more expensive to craft, it'd be nice if it actually did something - or have the description rewritten to explain what it actually does. As @SnailsAttack suggested, damage reduction from all sources would be great. As it is, I hardly use the Seamoth in some games because I end up needing to be in Boneshark breeding zones for extended periods of time, or Leviathan territory - and I outright REFUSE to bring the seamoth into the latter.

So I end up using the exosuit almost exclusively, since the Bonesharks only do 5% per bite to it (As opposed to around 15% to the seamoth) and being in the exosuit in the Mountains, Dunes, and Crash Zone brings me so much peace of mind. Maybe it's the lack of a third dimension to deal with when traveling (As you're on the seafloor), but I'm not a nervous wreck when going into those areas with the suit, but am absolutely terrified in the seamoth and "merely anxious" in the cyclops.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    For me the Hull Reinforcement module has had about the same functionality as anything Fisher-Price ever made. I've been meaning to ask if it was actually working.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Has anyone done any test to see if actually does reduced attack damage? It should reduce all damage: Heat, bumping, ramming, biting etc.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Has anyone done any test to see if actually does reduced attack damage? It should reduce all damage: Heat, bumping, ramming, biting etc.

I tested it on both the Seamoth and Exosuit in various situations, and it made no difference with or without it. Bonesharks always did 15%/5% to the Seamoth/Exosuit, collisions did the same damage at every depth regardless of it being equipped... It just doesn't seem to do anything whatsoever. :/
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I've also tested fauna damage with and without the module on and nothing changed.
  • lonelywolflonelywolf Sweden Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204737Members
    i have also tested and it does nothing at all, they will probably fix it in next release