Scenery loading is belated

zdszds Finland Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232317Members
Experimental, build 56549. Vive and Steam Controller.

This is a problem with variable severity. It seems like some resource leak, as if I play the whole day, by the evening it gets worse. With Cyclops it's more pronounced.

The symptons are very slow loading of landscape as I move forward. At worst I'm already about to hit a wall in a cave when the model finally loads. This means navigation is difficult and it's easy to get lost, because you don't see landmarks until you are past them. Or even know which way the cave continues and which way it ends to a wall.

Couple of examples:

jflXboD.jpg
PInZySA.jpg

It's not a shadow. Half of the ground is not rendered at all. It will appear if you stop and wait.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    There's something that causes terrain to just give up loading sometimes, I don't know what it is, but I've seen it in streamers' videos and experienced it maybe twice myself (and I'm running Subnautica from an SSD). Probably some bug hiding in the shadows. squeeze.gif
  • zdszds Finland Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232317Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    There's something that causes terrain to just give up loading sometimes, I don't know what it is, but I've seen it in streamers' videos and experienced it maybe twice myself (and I'm running Subnautica from an SSD). Probably some bug hiding in the shadows. squeeze.gif

I'm seen this one, too! Only once or twice, tho. I had to do an U-turn, as I didn't want to try what happens if the scenery eventually loads and I'm inside the model...
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited November 2017
    Yeah. I've had it happen a lot. I notice it happens more in areas where the loading suppose to trigger. You going back and forth over it. Like say in tight areas of the Lost River entrances and Degassi Base 2. I have to reload the game, to get it to stop.
    @Belgarel is this a known problem / can we do anything to help pin it down?
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Had it happen here too. The terrain collision mesh isn't loading either; it's not just textures. I had an entire segment of LR tunnel not load, and I could swim around outside the map.
    Jarin wrote: »
    Had it happen here too. The terrain collision mesh isn't loading either; it's not just textures. I had an entire segment of LR tunnel not load, and I could swim around outside the map.

Right, I forgot to mention, collision doesn't load either when this happens. Can totally go around the corner and be under the map.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Terrain seems to give up on loading for me as well
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    I'd guess that it's an exception while setting up the new area that knocks it out. The next time you see it happen, can you post a link to the output_log.txt, ideally as soon after it happens as possible so it's not full of other stuff? It's usually here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt

Also, wait until after the experimental build is up to 56750, as Igor's fixes might have already fixed this.