How to: The curves on ns2_fusion

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
ns2_fusion is full of curves. A reoccurring question I get asked is how were they made. So I'm finally getting around to a tutorial.

The finished product:
u8muumg5q0z5.jpg

1. Use lines to map out a cross section for the hallway.
7kqcvstfzcx0.jpg

2. Add a line from the inner edge of the cross section to a point away from it. This will be the inner radius of the curve.
xt6fijfcky3i.jpg

3. Extrude the cross section and make sure that there's another radius line attached to the new cross section face.
jl8n6w8hfwz4.jpg

4. Select the face of this new cross section, the radius line next to it, and then rotate them (I used 15 degrees here).
6l93rnjnqw9s.jpg

5. While keeping the rotated part selected, select the vertex on the end of the radius line. Then drag this vertex to the vertex at the end of the initial radius line. Now you have the 'mold' for a segment of the curve and an origin for it's arc (the point at the end of the 2 radius lines).
xcgytfxpa6eu.jpg

6. Delete any unwanted faces from the segment.
v74wn88ptqvw.jpg

7. Duplicate the segment and rotate it (I used 15 degrees here). Make sure that the origins for the 2 segments are overlapping.
3u47f56mkteg.jpg

8. Duplicate and rotate.
5fewb390dprf.jpg
2b7jk773fhj1.jpg
4v6yyt0a6lv9.jpg

That's the main process but in this case I wanted to add some stairs, so I progressively lowered the floor of each segment.
x3zuly14i9in.jpg
l12sgyw0g3wi.jpg

If you want to add variation to the curve, make different versions of the default segment.
icqd6sp0mu8o.jpg

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Actually the first tutorial is by Rudy, I think, who is also hosting this site, surprisingly even after all those years.
    Also I created those tutorials like 6 years ago, so a few steps might not be necessary anymore or there could be better ways (like texture alignment).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    And still Hammer's texture tool is better and quite a bit more effective/quicker for this :D Although, SparkE's texture tool has come quite a long way! Very neat and to the point bit of info there, really goes to show that the editor has come a long way since alpha/beta release. And at least SparkE doesn't really seem to care about vertexes not aligned to grid, giving us more flexibility for "brushwork"

pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Actually the first tutorial is by Rudy, I think, who is also hosting this site, surprisingly even after all those years.
    Also I created those tutorials like 6 years ago, so a few steps might not be necessary anymore or there could be better ways (like texture alignment).

Rudy's links should've really been in my post in the Miss the good o'l days, alongside @Bry's FTP link. I'm sad that readryoom.org is gone :(