Update 319 - Anniversary! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2017 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 319 - Anniversary! - Natural Selection 2

Happy 5th Anniversary to NS2! Five years ago… Wow saying that makes me sit back in my chair a moment. It’s crazy to think that much time has passed, it...

Read the full story here

Comments

• RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    First!
    gj guys! looks great!
  • axamdeepaxamdeep Shanghai, China Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72226Members, Squad Five Blue
    Second!
    The Chinese people sent a congratulatory message!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sooooooo, about that BUS...
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Skin packs will be available in a couple hours, we are waiting on one more approval from Valve that didnt make it in time
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2017
    You should really make the betatest with ns2+... it's annoying that there is a highchance you broke something - which might have been fixed by now... (be it on vanilla or ns2+ part...)
    In ns2+ I have the settings show "percentage" instead of HP Bars,... you can set it under HUD... now It tries to show the number while showing the HPbars... so it's constantly switching and blinking -_-
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Handschuh wrote: »
    You should really make the betatest with ns2+... it's annoying that there is a highchance you broke something - which might have been fixed by now... (be it on vanilla or ns2+ part...)
    In ns2+ I have the settings show "percentage" instead of HP Bars,... you can set it under HUD... now It tries to show the number while showing the HPbars... so it's constantly switching and blinking -_-

We do test with NS2+ with all the variable options though, sometimes it is hard to find every bug. Thank you for alerting us to your issue, we will look into it.
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The map changes sound good.

I am a bit disappointed that with the 64 bit version now all we get is skins. This is extremely boring and there should be different models instead. Also I have to say, the new skins do not fit at all to the games look. Some really bad DLC imo.

The biomass change is one of the worst changes ever made to the game.

I hope we see better things next time.

I can't comment on FPS / performance though because I haven't played the patch yet.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    TBH, the only skin pack that still fits are Kodiak (on it's own map) and Shadow, the rest don't quite seem to fit within the lore. However, there always was this danger when stepping into custom player skins, beyond the originally released 2012 NS2 content.

However in the end, if the players want to play with them, more power to them. Besides for clan and official matches, they can always be disabled.

I'm kinda on @The_Welsh_Wizard's side where looks are concerned. Some of them seem out of place, at least they look pretty neat

Tundra, feels like the STAG army dudes in Saints Row the Third with a splash of aquamarine
    Reaper, they are so damn weird looking for what the Kharaa normally look like
    Forge, my first impression is World of Wacraft, Battle Forge armor set
    Nocturne, feels Halloween inspired, didn't know the Kharaa celebrated that as well :D

But who am I to judge, I'm guilty of bringing back the nostalgic original aliens as the brown Skulk, the beige Gorge, the grey/brown Lerk, the black Fade (and primal Fade) and the red/orange Onos. So originally there was way more colour. And I also found the NS2 dark purple a strangely annoying choice back then :trollface:
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Really excited for the FT changes. I'm expecting a whole new class of interesting fights!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am a bit disappointed that with the 64 bit version now all we get is skins. This is extremely boring and there should be different models instead. Also I have to say, the new skins do not fit at all to the games look. Some really bad DLC imo.

The biomass change is one of the worst changes ever made to the game.

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

A lot of the 64bit changes have been under the hood and yes while the skin packs are the first visual thing that has been allowed into the game via 64bit, skin packs alone shouldn't be the end-all of it. (i hope)

The biomass change is a long time coming and while I know you and others will disagree, this change helps reduce the effectiveness of techpoint lockdown so the marines can't just secure them early and wait it out till victory anymore.
    edited October 2017
    Hehe yeah "64-bits" change isn't exactly a small change either, but please don't let them dev type people get all daffy with loads of strange skins just because they're able to now.

With great power comes a lot of weird shit, or something like that :D
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hehe yeah "64-bits" change isn't exactly a small change either, but please don't let them dev type people get all daffy with loads of strange skins just because they're able to now.

Skins are not the only thing unlocked by going 64-bit, but since it was a benefit the team decided to let Rantology come up with some new ideas.
    edited October 2017
    WasabiOne wrote: »

Skins are not the only thing unlocked by going 64-bit, but since it was a benefit the team decided to let Rantology come up with some new ideas.

I know Wasabi mo' memory allocation is always good shit, I'm just jerking some chains here. However I hope "Hat Selection 2" isn't on the agenda of releases :D

You'd get my seal of approval for a selection of Manly Moustaches though :tongue:
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Finally you try to solve this,congrats.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Reads like a great update! I'm glad the flamethrower is finally being looked at (can't wait to try it out on sunday) and I appreciate the explanations behind the balance changes. That's the kind of transparency modern community focused game development means.

I can also attest that the new version of summit is great, and that the new version of derelict runs better, too. While you're playing derelict, do give kodiak a visit, that map is criminally underplayed, ok?

Still not sure about the skins. Buuut... I'll probably end up buying them, anyway.

Here's to another five years!
    WasabiOne wrote: »

I know Wasabi mo' memory allocation is always good shit, I'm just jerking some chains here. However I hope "Hat Selection 2" isn't on the agenda of releases :D

You'd get my seal of approval for a selection of Manly Moustaches though :tongue:

NO HATS :(
  • Scout255Scout255 Canada Join Date: 2015-01-24 Member: 201015Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Anyone else notice an issue where gorges get unlimited clogs and hydra's? Played a few rounds and while its somewhat hilarious, it makes pushing as a marine very challenging.....

Not sure if its server specific as i've only played on one so far.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There's one unfortunately popular server that used to let you have 20 hydras or something like that... I haven't been on in a while, maybe you were there.

As far as this update, grats on 5 years everyone! Looks like a beefy update, and I happened to get off work about 3 hours early today so I'm excited to take a gander.

Are the skins like a halloween theme - purple and orange? If so, i see wot u did there :)

alright seez
  • Scout255Scout255 Canada Join Date: 2015-01-24 Member: 201015Members, NS2 Map Tester
    it was on TA so I don't believe that is the case
    Scout255 wrote: »
    it was on TA so I don't believe that is the case

They notified us and we are investigating, but believe it may be MOD related.
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2017
    unlimited hydras. Sounds like fun @2cough you should give it a go!
    DMD does have extra hydras, One to be exact. We used to have two extra (at the cost of one extra pres each) (not 20, or 50. that's insane..) however the reason for that at the time was that whips were broken. It was a very well received change. With that - flamethrowers, grenades, etc. could easily destroy hydras. Maybe now with the new changes we'll see more flamethrower action. Just too bad the flame isn't blue. That would be sweet :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Scout255 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice an issue where gorges get unlimited clogs and hydra's? Played a few rounds and while its somewhat hilarious, it makes pushing as a marine very challenging.....

Not sure if its server specific as i've only played on one so far.

This is from a server mod.
    Looks like it's likely the gorge tunnel control mod.
    The author is looking into updating it now, but in the meantime I've asked server ops to disable it.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hydrapocalipse is over, gorge tunnel control mod has been fixed by @Steelcap .
  • ZackLKZackLK Join Date: 2010-12-09 Member: 75575Members
    I’ve already had 2 strange crashes while playing, and both times I had only played for 20 minutes at a time. (I’ve never had NS2 crash in recent years!) Is there something I can send you guys when this happens?
    edited October 2017
    Just had a look at the flamer, nicely expanded upon it's role...

However, is the animation bugging out, or what? Why is it so jittery, looks like it's constantly resetting the animation, while firing...
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Endtech for aliens on 2 hives....... brilliant. Just brilliant. Nice to see ghouls sh*t-mod is finally coming in this game. Let the alien turtleing begin.....
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Rammler wrote: »
    Endtech for aliens on 2 hives....... brilliant. Just brilliant. Nice to see ghouls sh*t-mod is finally coming in this game. Let the alien turtleing begin.....

Stab and stomp? Really?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stomp might arguably be too strong on two hives but... it's 120 additional tres just to get the biomass.