This game needs a map badly

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Does anybody else think this game needs some sort of a map? It can get a bit annoying have the screen cluttered with beacons to find stuff (even if you can turn them off).

Comments

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Just having one in game with the biome boundaries and the ability to edit and write on it would be nice. Grayed out until you are in the area of course. The ability to 'mark at location' would be nice too for precision's sake. Perhaps just use the beacon location and text, increase the text limit of beacon labels, and have them only show on the map unless selected, similar to skyrim's "mark location" map feature.

Perhaps 2 different map modes, one that has depth map and another that is flat? Dunno about anyone else, but I have a hard time reading depth maps.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Ralij wrote: »
    ... and the ability to edit and write on it would be nice.

Nice..? *glares at random YouTuber*

There will be D's :worried:
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    What about having the seaglide/active sonar on vehicles/scanner room add the local terrain (and wrecks/fauna, resources, etc...) to the map?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    On the Trello, they mentioned they might work on a map post 1.0. The note referenced the MineCraft mod JourneyMap.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2017
    Personally, I get tired of having to import a SN wiki map into my screenshot folder every time I start over, or having to rely on the wiki to find stuff when I've finally given up on bringing up the PDA 20 times and tabbed to screenshots just to figure out where to go...

I mean, the game world is static, right? There's no procedural generation aside from collectable items/resources? The Aurora, the Islands, the various wrecks AND all of the Lifepods (save for good ol' Number 5) and the various biomes always appear in the locations... so why do we not have access to a map, when logic states it would make absolute sense to have one?

Not to mention, the SeaGlide and Cyclops can map terrain naturally - it seems to me that there should be a way to make this data accessible to the player in a map form. :pensive:
    edited October 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Eh, there will always be those people. I tend to just ignore that aspect of them.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Eh, there will always be those people. I tend to just ignore that aspect of them.

They tend to be... Some "unknown" YouTubers. Them fuckers keep popping up in "trending" and "suggested videos" regardless of being subbed or not :tongue:
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    edited October 2017
    Biggest challenge with a map is how to represent the 3D nature of the world to the player in a way that is intuitive and easy to understand instead of confusing.

Not easy especially given that Subnautica's 3D spaces and connections are quite free-form and organic. Other games such as Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda have a much simpler arrangement of stacked floors and their mini-maps still struggle to convey correct locations to players.

I've thought about using kind of an MRI-style interface, where the player could quickly ripple up and down through a set of slices of the game world. It still relies of the player translating that into a mental model of how the stacked zones connect with each other, but it's at least a hint of how things are put together.

And yes, a section of a slice would only become visible in the map after the player visits the location. Gotta reward exploration!
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Klinn wrote: »
    Biggest challenge with a map is how to represent the 3D nature of the world to the player in a way that is intuitive and easy to understand instead of confusing.

Not easy especially given that Subnautica's 3D spaces and connections are quite free-form and organic. Other games such as Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda have a much simpler arrangement of stacked floors and their mini-maps still struggle to convey correct locations to players.

I've thought about using kind of an MRI-style interface, where the player could quickly ripple up and down through a set of slices of the game world. It still relies of the player translating that into a mental model of how the stacked zones connect with each other, but it's at least a hint of how things are put together.

And yes, a section of a slice would only become visible in the map after the player visits the location. Gotta reward exploration!

Topographic maps and rotatable 3D maps are both proven solutions to this problem. A topographic map provides a quick 2D reference to see where biomes are and their relative depths and interesting terrain features, and Descent showed us back in 1995 that a rotatable 3D map is a great way to visualize a full 3D environment. In fact, the scanner room already does this but then illogically fails to provide a way to download the generated map to the PDA.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    A top map is great for showing one specific landscape or level, e.g. the basic sea bottom as you would see it if you just removed the water. But it doesn't show the caves etc that lie below that surface. And if you create another top map for a specific cave and another for a deeper cave etc etc, then you're basically approaching the "world slices" idea I mentioned.

A 3D wireframe representation of the world, similar to what the scanner room or seaglide produces is fine for a relatively small area. But I suspect the complexity of Subnautica's world would quickly make that type of wireframe view very confusing if it covered an area large enough to be useful as a map.

All just in my humble opinion of course. ;)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2017
    An implementation that would be neat, and works at all parts of the game:

1) The seaglide 'topographical' map isn't available by default, and is only available after upgrading it on the modification station. It adds the mapped terrain to the main map. It really isn't that useful when navigating anyways, but it does look cool.

2) Vehicle based sonar also maps out the topography on the map.

3) Scanner room maps the topography like sonar/seaglide, and also reveals all resources, flora, fauna, and other things within its range in real time (as long as its powered).

The PDA-accessible map looks similar to the scanner room map, with specific blips to indicate what stuff is.

gamer1000k wrote: »
    Klinn wrote: »

Topographic maps and rotatable 3D maps are both proven solutions to this problem. A topographic map provides a quick 2D reference to see where biomes are and their relative depths and interesting terrain features, and Descent showed us back in 1995 that a rotatable 3D map is a great way to visualize a full 3D environment. In fact, the scanner room already does this but then illogically fails to provide a way to download the generated map to the PDA.

Yes, Descent had a great 3D map implementation
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited October 2017
    If anyone likes Descent, try:
    DXX-Rebirth (D1X and D2X) - this is an upgraded, faithful to the original, Descent.
    D2X-XL (works with both Descent 1 & ][, just like DXX) - this is basically an entire rework, with new modes, mods, level editor (DLE), and more. You can configure it to be more like classic Descent, but it's more fun to play with all the settings and be blown away with what is now possible.
    Overload - the Descent crew makes another title.
    Descent Underground - Prequel to Descent, MMO, get it on BrightLocker here (used to be on Steam Early Access, they pulled it to focus on finishing up their single player campaign and tech trees, their explanation here).
    Sol Contingency - A modder was going to re-do the entire Descent series in Unreal. Got a C&D after he sent a proposal to Interplay to make an official remaster, as Interplay had decided to go with Descent Underground (you can find out more on the SolC forums, threads here (C&D) and here (in-depth discussion) -- they do have a demo available.

If you like FreeSpace (Descent / Conflict: FreeSpace, and FreeSpace 2), check out the Hard Light Productions forum, and use the FSO SCP Installer to get the latest updates (you can get the retail game on GOG or Steam, but note I would recommend GOG for better results with older titles).

Also, Forsaken was similar to Descent, and also good. Gameplay video here (I don't think that's with any upgrade projects, just retail). Try ForsakenX
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Joystick review if you're looking for one:

2017 Hotas roundup X-56, Warthog, X-52, X-52 Pro, T.16000m FCS - overview
    Magnets & Miracles Gaming
    Published on Feb 12, 2017
    SUBSCRIBE 215
    SUBSCRIBE SUBSCRIBED UNSUBSCRIBE
    T16000m review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kXmb...

Another t16000m review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rodho...

X-56 Review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THKqX...

Warthog Review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzZUe...

Warthog Gimbal Repair:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOOo...

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/...

Music: Parasail by Silent Partner from YouTube Audio Library http://goo.gl/YmnOAx
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    The lack of a map has forced me in an interesting direction in order to get around: Navigating by compass and landmark only.

I make notes, mostly in my head, of how to find places by landmark.

"North of Lifepod 2, on the ridge, is the first alien pylon leading the way to Alien Cache Beta."
    "The northwestern edge of the eastern mushroom forest runs up against the eastern slopes of Gun Island. There's a Reaper there."

Stuff like that. It's been... interesting.
  • SirshootalotSirshootalot Join Date: 2017-10-22 Member: 233667Members
    Hey guys, new to the forum. Started playing Subnautica again last week and was happy to see some great stability improvements and new content.

Personally I prefer not having a map in a way, for me its more immersive, I mean a highly detailed map would be a bitch to make if you were a lone survivor on an alien planet.

I agree with concept of having a basic map, but the areas are revealed as you encounter them, I would hate to have one as soon as you start off.
    There has definitely been something to having to make your own maps though. Diving into cartography has been fairly entertaining tbh.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2017
    Could @nesrak1 or @Sunrunner make a mod that gives us a map? I mean, there appears to be a demand for such a thing, and the devs have enough on their plate as it is working on the official release. I'd personally take a 3rd-party map app to use in game vs not having one naturally and being forced to rely on 3rd-party websites just to navigate the world. :confused:

They could just do what Final Fantasy: XI did for their zones that had multiple sections of inhabitable area that wouldn't make sense on a singlular map. In the game a lot of the areas are flat, with just one plane of interaction (maybe some hills or valleys); but some areas are actual "buildings" or zones with multiple vertical sections. What happens then is when you hit an invisible threshold or XYZ coordinates, the game changes which map you have access to.

Since Subnautica's engine already can track where your XYZ coordinates are at any given time, and knows when you've crossed-over into another biome's border (can check this by pressing F1 in-game on PC), then it should be relatively "easy" to implement both a usable map and one that can update for certain areas (I'm looking at you, Jellyshroom Caves and the ILZ/ALZ). :)
    If you have a map you've drawn by hand of the ILZ/ALZ, would you please scan it in and email it to me? :)

• Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    Hey guys, new to the forum. Started playing Subnautica again last week and was happy to see some great stability improvements and new content.

Personally I prefer not having a map in a way, for me its more immersive, I mean a highly detailed map would be a bitch to make if you were a lone survivor on an alien planet.

I agree with concept of having a basic map, but the areas are revealed as you encounter them, I would hate to have one as soon as you start off.

I hope i'm not coming off as an ass with this comment. But a map being a bitch? In a world where we can create rooms that are 5 tons heavy from a remote control size builder. But for some reason a wireless transmission to the dive suits HUD is impossible. Even though the Scanner room can send pings of items to your HUD already :P The game is inconsistent in its internal logic. It's just that making a map is probably the harder things to do in the game. I just don't get why they couldn't just add the Seaglide's map to your HUD and be done with it. In till they wanted to make a more fleshed out map in the future. Moving that map to the Cyclops 3D image would be good to.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I dunno, the Scanner Room makes a pretty dang detailed map. I set one up in the ALZ across from the PCF and the map it made was fascinating. And yeah, there's no reason the space magic in the game couldn't make one that somehow shows on the PDA, it's totally a gameplay design decision. Given that, I've decided to work within those limits and see how it goes.

It would be handy to have even a 2D version, though, that I could at least mark wrecks on or something. Ooh, something that could be neat, is setting up multiple Scanner Rooms across the game and have them feed into a master map somewhere that you could interact with and make notes on. You know like, clicking on it takes you to a different interface where you can "fly" through the map and put markers on that show up on your HUD. The functionality is already there for those markers.

Still, that would make the game much easier in a way that I think would be convenient, but not necessary. Maybe something for Creative mode.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    It would be enough to see just a basic map of the current biome with features of interest marked, just so you could tell where you have already been. That would make searching for the wrecks far less painful for those of us who are directionally challenged. There could be an option to display the whole map so far, and a small displayed minimap that could be used for navigating. It wouldn't have to be large to help immensely in searching. For 3D cave mazes, such as the mushroom tree it might be harder of course, but even if there was no map at all in such places having one for the basic biome would be good enough.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    I dunno, the Scanner Room makes a pretty dang detailed map. I set one up in the ALZ across from the PCF and the map it made was fascinating. And yeah, there's no reason the space magic in the game couldn't make one that somehow shows on the PDA, it's totally a gameplay design decision. Given that, I've decided to work within those limits and see how it goes.

It would be handy to have even a 2D version, though, that I could at least mark wrecks on or something. Ooh, something that could be neat, is setting up multiple Scanner Rooms across the game and have them feed into a master map somewhere that you could interact with and make notes on. You know like, clicking on it takes you to a different interface where you can "fly" through the map and put markers on that show up on your HUD. The functionality is already there for those markers.

Still, that would make the game much easier in a way that I think would be convenient, but not necessary. Maybe something for Creative mode.

That's what I basically do in the game. I make multiple bases so I can get an idea of the ILZ and Lakes. I wonder why people who make the 2D maps don't do that. I've seen people complain about no one making a good ILZ/LL map. Go in creative. Spawn as many scanner rooms needed. See the 3d map. Free cam looking down/inside the scanner room map. Draw it in photoshop.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    I don't know how you'd view a 3d map in game but I can definitely create something to read the map and output that to some kind of external program to freecam through, or make layers of 2d maps. Really depends what is wanted here
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    I played this game for more than 200h (6 full playthough) and I still lost myseft in grassy plateaux, kelp forest and safe shallows. Hopefully, I can find my way with some major references (Aurora, floating island, moutain, grand reef...).
    But for new players, finding our way is a nightmare.

Even wrecks my be rare to find. On my last run, I don't even found the wreck in the mushroom tree. The sonar could be improoved to help find stuff.

A PDA map would be a great improvement
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    For me, I map things out with the help of buoys. You can turn pings on and off, so using beacons as 'major landmarks' for locations can help a lot. Just name them something intuitive.

It doesn't help as much with the '3D' portions, unfortunately, so for things like 'directions to the ILZ' you may need a chain of buoys as landmarks.

It's not perfect by far, but I find it helps a lot.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Kurasu wrote: »
    For me, I map things out with the help of buoys. You can turn pings on and off, so using beacons as 'major landmarks' for locations can help a lot. Just name them something intuitive.

It doesn't help as much with the '3D' portions, unfortunately, so for things like 'directions to the ILZ' you may need a chain of buoys as landmarks.

It's not perfect by far, but I find it helps a lot.

Really, between buoys and a compass, that's all you need. I don't even bother putting a map in my screenshots directory anymore, and it's certainly not because I have the world memorized; it just takes me more time to go into the photo file and read the map than it does for me to take a bearing off a couple buoys with my compass. Add in the scanner room and that's plenty of nav information. The 3D scanner on the seaglide is...neat...but in the end it's just eye candy.

I'm not saying the pro-map camp is wrong. Some players really want or need to have a map, and that's fine. However, with the abundance of navigational aids in the game right now, I don't think it needs to be a high priority for the developers; there are far more important fish for them to fry.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members

Really, between buoys and a compass, that's all you need. I don't even bother putting a map in my screenshots directory anymore, and it's certainly not because I have the world memorized; it just takes me more time to go into the photo file and read the map than it does for me to take a bearing off a couple buoys with my compass. Add in the scanner room and that's plenty of nav information. The 3D scanner on the seaglide is...neat...but in the end it's just eye candy.

I'm not saying the pro-map camp is wrong. Some players really want or need to have a map, and that's fine. However, with the abundance of navigational aids in the game right now, I don't think it needs to be a high priority for the developers; there are far more important fish for them to fry.

I agree that the devs have much more important things to work on before 1.0 (game balance...).

However, I'm less satisfied with the current navigation aids. Technically the game is completely playable with what we have already, but they're very expensive for what they do (especially since a proper map is a given in nearly every other game). Hopefully once the game gets is full balance pass they won't be so much of a headache to deal with. Still doesn't really solve the discoverability problem for finding the scanner room and beacon fragments (and the resources to craft them) in the first place though.
    edited October 2017

I agree that the devs have much more important things to work on before 1.0 (game balance...).

However, I'm less satisfied with the current navigation aids. Technically the game is completely playable with what we have already, but they're very expensive for what they do (especially since a proper map is a given in nearly every other game). Hopefully once the game gets is full balance pass they won't be so much of a headache to deal with. Still doesn't really solve the discoverability problem for finding the scanner room and beacon fragments (and the resources to craft them) in the first place though.

Do Beacons still require Silver in the latest Stable? In experimental, beacons cost only one copper and one titanium. Compared to the Silver recipe or the old Copper Wire + Titanium recipe, beacons are ridiculously cheap now. Again, if you are talking stable, they may still have the recipe set to use Silver.