Is there any real threat to sea bases?

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
As far as I can tell, there is only one real threat to your sea bases which is building without enough reinforcements, but even then you just fix the leaks and its back to business as usual.

Do fauna attack or destroy your base?

It seems to me like the sea base system isn't complete and should be re-worked into something like this:

1) The water pressure that comes with higher depth is the primary threat to sea bases. Higher depths means more reinforcements needed for each sea base piece to compensate, rather than taken as a total of the connected base as a whole. So for instance, at 1000m your base will mostly be made up of reinforcements and maybe a minimal scattering of windows or observatories.

2) When placing reinforcement pieces or windows, you will see the "structural integrity" of areas on a color sliding scale of green - yellow - red to denote its strength. You can certainly have areas of weakened structural strength, but they have a much higher chance of attracting hostile fauna to them, or a random chance (proportional to depth) of a window or wall breaking and flooding the room.

3) Now that water is flooding into your base, all structures in the room and connecting rooms not protected by bulk heads begin taking damage and will eventually be destroyed. After the leaks are fixed & windows replaced the room will drain like normal, ejecting any fish outside again. You will have to repair any objects that aren't dead with the welder.

4) Spotlights reduce the chance of hostile fauna attacking your base, but have a significant power drain to operate. Different biomes fauna represent different challenges. For instance, leviathans don't hesitate to attack even the strongest pieces of your base, so you'll need adequate defenses to deter them. Other biomes that have enemies like shockers will drain portions of your bases power supply and attack weak portions.

Overall this means you can have relatively open "safer" bases in shallower areas, and hardened bases at deep depths that will need to protect more against fauna as well. The game could probably use more defensive structures for seabases too like shields that defend against hostile fauna but take a lot of power to keep online.

Comments

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Crabsquids can de-power bases, albeit temporarily.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    TBH, if them leviathans are supposed to attack our bases if we place them in certain locations... We don't we also need lethal weapons defensive tools, protection field, deterrence turrets?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    TBH, if them leviathans are supposed to attack our bases if we place them in certain locations... We don't we also need lethal weapons defensive tools, protection field, deterrence turrets?

Nope. No defensive tools required. Just send your guard dogs--er, Stalkers. They will make short work of any attacking Leviathans. :)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2017
    Maybe if you raise certain eggs in the big aquarium habitat, you can transplant them outside your base to defend it against outside hostile fauna? Might be cheaper to do that development wise than making the art/code for new base defenses. They would be passive towards you since you raised them!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    I've always wanted minions to take on the world. What better way to test that world domination bit on this waterball!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    There's plans for fauna attacking bases, but I dunno if it'll actually be implemented. Certainly not before v1.0 And, spotlights already suck too much power last I checked (maybe they fixed that?). You could always plant tiger plants in growbeds at a distance, surrounding your base.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    There's plans for fauna attacking bases, but I dunno if it'll actually be implemented. Certainly not before v1.0 And, spotlights already suck too much power last I checked (maybe they fixed that?). You could always plant tiger plants in growbeds at a distance, surrounding your base.

Which attack you too. Making them useless. We need proper weapons or shields to make base attacks viable. Lights still badly drain bases power.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    And then someone needs to mod the lantern tree to grow bananaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

Which attack you too. Making them useless. We need proper weapons or shields to make base attacks viable. Lights still badly drain bases power.

They're actually pretty easy to dodge. I dance around when scanning fragments beside them and maybe lose a quarter health if I get sloppy and there's 2 of them in close proximity.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I've always wanted minions to take on the world. What better way to test that world domination bit on this waterball!

This looks like a job for @DaveyNY! I do believe, that if it's Minions that you're wanting, I dare say Davey has the market cornered on them.

COg5GWXUsAAnLvw.jpg

Maybe he could get you a discount on some of them... :wink:

I might be able to spare a few till Halloween...

anq40hixbndl.png

But I want them back ASAP!

tltmsxa9jbdh.png

As for the topic at hand...

I really don't want Them to add "Creature Base Attacking" to the game, unless They only put it in 'Hardcore'.
    :/
  • darkgamerdarkgamer Join Date: 2017-10-24 Member: 233700Members
    I believe you get the points.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

They're actually pretty easy to dodge. I dance around when scanning fragments beside them and maybe lose a quarter health if I get sloppy and there's 2 of them in close proximity.

The point is grown ones shouldn't. I planted one near my rear exit and it attacked me. I was like: I can't use this for decoration.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited October 2017
    The devs have recently said that they probably won't ever allow aggressive fauna to damage bases, even after v1.0.
  • CryoconCryocon Ohio Join Date: 2017-10-20 Member: 233632Members
    Wouldn't lights be more prone to attract attacks by hostile fauna? or is it just noise that attracts them?
    Cryocon wrote: »
    Wouldn't lights be more prone to attract attacks by hostile fauna? or is it just noise that attracts them?

Murphy's law of combat #32

Tracers work both ways.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Cryocon wrote: »

Murphy's law of combat #32

Tracers work both ways.

I believe that is a quote from the US army ordinance.
    Pretty sure they are quoting Muprhy's law of combat ;)
    edited October 2017
    Pretty sure they are quoting Muprhy's law of combat ;)

9xgzotsp5oi8.jpg
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    Personally I'd hate having destroyable bases. I like building bases in unusual places like the ILZ near the lava castle with lots of windows and watch the sea dragon swim majestically past. There are no defenses against a sea dragon. One can also build in the Void to watch the ghost leviathans - and there are no defenses against them either. Planted tiger plants will shoot darts at Reapers, but I never saw them have any effect. And they do shoot you - though you can plant them in the large aquarium and they will be peaceful.

With destroyable bases, you'd probably quickly lose any base built in the Underwater Islands by the huge packs of bonesharks that live there.

I prefer being able to build wherever you want. It will be dangerous while you are actually doing the building, but once you have a moonpool, then your vehicles will have a safe spot and you can watch the large predators safely.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    You should try building a Moonpool over/near a Stalker nest.
    Man, they LUV to chew on the ass of my Seamoth when it's docked!
    B)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Ambivalent. We really will need reliable weapons defenses that needs to work on all types of creatures. Its fine as is though I think.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    At least stalkers can't damage it. They do nibble on it though! I had bonesharks actually destroy my docked seamoth when I built a base in the Underwater Islands. I reported that as a bug - your seamoth should be safe when docked!
  • Phantom222Phantom222 Join Date: 2018-05-09 Member: 240613Members
    I think we should have a threat to our bases. As someone who is currently building in the void with the Ghost Leviathans, I want some what of a threat. My only real threat is depth and pressure. But I want the threat of the leviathans attacking and doing damage to my seabase.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    1. People here dont really like thread necros, inb4 thread necro picture.
    2. I prefer if the leviathans didn't attack the bases. As it would get annoying that you cant be cool and have a base near a hostile leviathan but can have one near a or defensive leviathan
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    edited May 2018
    aeroripper wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, there is only one real threat to your sea bases which is building without enough reinforcements, but even then you just fix the leaks and its back to business as usual.

Tiger plants will damage your base if one of their thorns misses you, learned that the hard way.
  • Phantom222Phantom222 Join Date: 2018-05-09 Member: 240613Members
    Jamintheinfinite_1 yes it would be annoying to not be able to build near a leviathan's home. But how about they make it so that different base pieces have different structural integrity. This way leviathans would only attack one certain type of base piece and then that piece would start flooding if it got to damaged. And that flooding would spread anywhere that doesn't have a bulkhead door preventing it from going forward. Then we don't have to worry about our whole base flooding only certain parts of it
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    aeroripper wrote: »

Crashfish - when you build your moonpool too close to the sulphur plants.

That, and running with scissors.