Potential Issue With New Balance (Rotting Food Despawning)

KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
Added despawning on spoiled food

Does this work no matter where the food is? I.E. if you put a food item that rots in a bioreactor, it used to keep rotting (but gave the same food value).

Now, if you put a food item that rots in a bioreactor, will it rot away, leaving no fuel? Will we now have to fill our bioreactors with only non-rotting things? No more marblemelon farms?

Comments

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Kurasu wrote: »
    Added despawning on spoiled food

Does this work no matter where the food is? I.E. if you put a food item that rots in a bioreactor, it used to keep rotting (but gave the same food value).

Now, if you put a food item that rots in a bioreactor, will it rot away, leaving no fuel? Will we now have to fill our bioreactors with only non-rotting things? No more marblemelon farms?

I wonder if this is a step to balance the bio reactors or a way to make filling them a more tedious process
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    .... How do crops like lanternfruits, chinese potatoes, and marble melons work now?
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    edited October 2017
    They all rot in hand. I don't know about in the bioreactors; that change hasn't officially hit experimental yet.

EDIT: Having experimented, they continue to rot in the bioreactor as well. A fresh marblemelon I stuffed in turned into an 'old marblemelon'.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    How does this affect storing food items, like Bulbo Tree Samples, that you use for new plantings later? If I store them in a locker, will they disappear before I can plant them?
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    If the rotting thing acts like real life. That would be a bad idea. Mainly because they haven't built a refrigerator machine for the game. I don't mind food decay. Ark does it good. But they have different tiers of fridges to deal with the system.
    The rotting effect is *already* in game. Most things rot, whether you put them in a locker or not. They just get more and more rotten (raw, live fish don't, but cooked, non-salt-preserved fish do; edible plants do). It's just that when they decay, they don't vanish. I'm pretty sure that what they're suggesting is that the usual decaying happens as it happens, but when it becomes 'decayed', it vanishes soon afterward.

The decaying thing is *already* in game. Just not the 'makes it vanish' part.
    Jacke wrote: »
    How does this affect storing food items, like Bulbo Tree Samples, that you use for new plantings later? If I store them in a locker, will they disappear before I can plant them?

I'm suspecting that you'd have to plant them fast, yes, because they would quickly decay after you cut them. I'm pretty sure they would last from island to a base, depending on how far your base is from either of the islands, but I can't be *certain*. Same with Chinese potatoes and vine fruit (marble melons can be split into seeds, so they'd be safe, plus I'm not sure if the small ones rot so you could get one of those home if you wanted to save inventory slots).
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited October 2017
    A refrigerated container would be very nice to have. Maybe even just tweak things so that lockers in powered subs/bases preserve any items inside and act like a fridge.

Unrefrigerated plants should also spoil more slowly than fish. Especially the potatoes.

Also, live fish in inventory should die if they sit in the player's inventory for too long. If the player jumps out of the water, they should die very quickly (within 30 seconds to a minute, just long enough to dump them in an aquarium or alien containment). Dead fish should still be cookable until they start to rot.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Moving plant samples from the island to a home base is my primary concern. There needs to be a way to mitigate this, or vegetables need to rot slower than fish.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I'd be fine with it if they slowed down how long it takes the fruit/veggies to rot. I mean, potatoes last weeks before they try to sprout and are still quite edible out of a pantry.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    I'd be fine with it if they slowed down how long it takes the fruit/veggies to rot. I mean, potatoes last weeks before they try to sprout and are still quite edible out of a pantry.

The whole day cycle is overall just so silly. It takes just 10 minutes for a gameday to pass. You can be awake for 200+ gamedays and there's no ill effects. Even when the absurd timecycle is counted for, it takes less than a gameDAY for a cooked fish or harvested plant to become rotten. And yet it takes mere seconds to build complex underwater structures, but it takes 30 minutes for the Dispenser to craft a single First Aid Kit? :open_mouth:

I'm not trying to point fingers... but some of the "time delay" mechanics in the current game make no sense. A mostly aquatic world in reality couldn't have such a short cycle, especially with the moon so dang close to the planet. I really hope some of these aspects get adjusted before the game officially launches. :confused:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Ralij wrote: »

The whole day cycle is overall just so silly. It takes just 10 minutes for a gameday to pass. You can be awake for 200+ gamedays and there's no ill effects. Even when the absurd timecycle is counted for, it takes less than a gameDAY for a cooked fish or harvested plant to become rotten. And yet it takes mere seconds to build complex underwater structures, but it takes 30 minutes for the Dispenser to craft a single First Aid Kit? :open_mouth:

I'm not trying to point fingers... but some of the "time delay" mechanics in the current game make no sense. A mostly aquatic world in reality couldn't have such a short cycle, especially with the moon so dang close to the planet. I really hope some of these aspects get adjusted before the game officially launches. :confused:

*sigh* Right, think of it this way. How silly would it be to have build 2 Seabases, fixed the Aurora, watched the Sunbeam burn, and gotten halfway to the cure in 3 days' time? Thts why the time compression. Now I agree, perhaps it could take longer, but not too much longer. (In fact, making nights longer would give all of the lighting stuff much more usefulness). Maybe 2-3x longer?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    The whole day cycle is overall just so silly. It takes just 10 minutes for a gameday to pass.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Right, think of it this way. How silly would it be to have build 2 Seabases, fixed the Aurora, watched the Sunbeam burn, and gotten halfway to the cure in 3 days' time? Thts why the time compression. Now I agree, perhaps it could take longer, but not too much longer. (In fact, making nights longer would give all of the lighting stuff much more usefulness). Maybe 2-3x longer?

Both sides have a point, but personally, the day duration is one of my biggest complaints about SN in its current state. Yes, terrain pops are annoying, yes the drop tables are apparently messed up (20+ supply crates, all with water so far), and yes the moon still has that weird alpha compositing error that makes it transparent to stars, but the shortness of the days that truly bugs me. And since everything is tied in through the same timescale variable, you can't even really use the console to correct the problem unless you feel like waiting a loooong time for your fabrications to finish. Anything moving toward a slower rate would be better, and I'd settle quite happily for a change factor of 2-3.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    *sigh* Right, think of it this way. How silly would it be to have build 2 Seabases, fixed the Aurora, watched the Sunbeam burn, and gotten halfway to the cure in 3 days' time? Thts why the time compression. Now I agree, perhaps it could take longer, but not too much longer. (In fact, making nights longer would give all of the lighting stuff much more usefulness). Maybe 2-3x longer?

Right, I understand why the day cycle is shorter and time moves much faster. It makes exploration in the game more invested but having it set in real-time would be pretty boring. But games like Final Fantasy XI solve that issue by having one game-day take place in (almost) a real-time hour (specifcally, 1 24-hour game day is equal to 57m and 36s of real time). This allows a bit more realism in the game, as you get a sense of realism from time passage progression. But when I play Subnautica, I just get frustrated when night falls and in just 10 minutes, it's daylight again.
    Both sides have a point, but personally, the day duration is one of my biggest complaints about SN in its current state. Yes, terrain pops are annoying, yes the drop tables are apparently messed up (20+ supply crates, all with water so far), and yes the moon still has that weird alpha compositing error that makes it transparent to stars, but the shortness of the days that truly bugs me. And since everything is tied in through the same timescale variable, you can't even really use the console to correct the problem unless you feel like waiting a loooong time for your fabrications to finish. Anything moving toward a slower rate would be better, and I'd settle quite happily for a change factor of 2-3.

Right, exactly! I've tried messing with DAYNIGHTSPEED settings and the newer SPEED settings, but they only serve to mock me. As @scifiwriterguy said, using those codes will give the illusion of a longer timecycle, but in fact it impedes with actual timing of various gameplay events, and other issues. I'm to the point now I don't expect any changes anymore - since it's been over a year and 4546B's illogical solar cycle hasn't been addressed, much less made mention of. I'd be happy at this point to see some form of optional setting or custom game to allow a more cohesive gameplay experience, without having to resort to hacks and tricks. :neutral:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @nesrak1 is there any way to mod a decrease the day/night animation's relation to the timer? Like, day and night would go at the same speed, but the lighting effects could be manipulated independently? Or even better, make a mod to decouple day/night from the other mechanisms that rely on it (make a separate time for them)?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited October 2017
    I assume every timing in the game is based off some global timing code. Trying to decouple that...might be quite hard. Making such a huge change in the game would likely require 10x or 100x the time investment in delving into the source code as anything done previously by @nesrak1
    I realized I should probably post this here, considering that it's a thread I made *specifically* about my concern. :pensive:

Good news, at least: I ran a test on a Chinese potato.

To get 'old': around 5 RL minutes (I didn't have an exact timer going; I may do it more clinically later on)
    To get from 'old' to 'decomposing': around 6 more RL minutes (see above; I definitely need to get better timing)
    To get from 'decomposing' to 'rotten': around 5-10 more RL minutes (I got pulled AFK and didn't realize there was a step beyond 'decomposing' so missed the exact timer on this)
    To get from 'rotten' to 'despawning': it hasn't happened yet, and I've been keeping an eye on it for close to 30 more minutes (so close to an hour now).

In addition, the potatoes in my bioreactor are rotten, but they haven't despawned, even though they were put in *WAY* earlier, and are already at the maximum 'food rot' (-25 to both food and water if eaten).

So either the despawning has been removed altogether (which would remove my concern here), or it's extremely long from your inventory (giving you plenty of time to get back to base and plant them) and apparently unlimited in your bioreactor.

I'm going to wander around with a dead fish in my inventory (words I never thought I'd say!) while I'm exploring. I likely won't get an exact timer on when it disappears, if it does, but I can at least report *if* it does later.

EDITED TO ADD: I happened to grab a lantern fruit in between doing stuff in order to put it in the bioreactor, and got distracted doing other things. The lantern fruit became 'old' faster than the cooked fish. Curious, I grabbed a handful of food one after the other.

Different items go 'old' at different rates. Lantern fruit is 'old' within a minute or so, while the potato took around 5 minutes, and a marblemelon took a minute or two after that. Giving it more time, the lantern fruit was 'rotten' even before the other food had gone from 'old' to 'decomposing'. So it looks as if 'old' to 'decomposing' to 'rotten' is different from food to food.

..... because of course it is. Why would they want it to be easy? ;)

No clue whether it's purely based on the foods, or on % of food value lost (since all perishable food loses food/water value at the same pace it seems).

(pardon the double-post; I realized just now that this thread is definitely somewhere that info should be, as well as on the other 'bioreactor' discussion).
    I've been running around now with rotting food in my inventory for quite some time. None of it has gone away.

I think I can safely say that either the despawn was removed altogether, or the time it takes is so long that it's not a concern.