[BUG] Bioreactor not producing power off bone shark [Stable 54762]

KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
Something odd is happening in my present game, where one of my bioreactors doesn't seem to be producing power at all even though it is filled with a bone shark. The reactor isn't pumping any energy out unless I put something inside along with said shark, upon which time it runs off that object until said object is gone, then again stops producing. It's as if it's completely drained the bone shark of power, but not actually deleted the object.

Figured that the best way for you to be able to look at the data and figure out what's going on might be to have a save; I've got a zipped save where I'm standing in front of the 'afflicted' bioreactor.

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited October 2017
    I just have one guestion.... How did you get the bone shark to swim into the Bioreactor?

My guess is they didn't code it so that certain fauna were never expected to be placed in the bioreactor. For instance:

1. Bone Sharks
    2. Reaper Leviathans
    3. Ghost Leviathans
    4. Etc...

:)

• DraydanDraydan Canada Join Date: 2017-10-06 Member: 233422Members
    @garath can't you just place a boneshark you hatched in a containment into the bioreactor? If i recall correctly it's feasable :o
    Draydan wrote: »
    @garath can't you just place a boneshark you hatched in a containment into the bioreactor? If i recall correctly it's feasable :o

Wh-wh-what? Who would be crazy enough to breed bone sharks in containment? :)
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Raised from birth for the purpose of being stuffed into the bioreactor. That's just cruel.

I use lantern fruit almost exclusively, but I've used peepers and creepvine on occasion, so I'm not sure about the boneshark issue you're having.

Try deconstructing the reactor, just a little, then reconstructing it? That might make the object go away. Of course the real issue is whether or not you can reproduce the problem.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I happened to have an idea. The base where this is happening has a solar panel as well. The solar panel makes power normally. However, I was noticing that when it was drained at night, there was no power coming in (my power was at 726/750 and not going up at all, which is when I noticed it the first time).

I removed the solar panel manually.

Power continued to tick up, thus making it clear that the bioreactor is apparently being overwritten by the solar panel altogether, and when it's gone, is now active (or trying to be?).

So that leaves some extra confusion on my part: is the issue with what's inside the bioreactor? Or the overlap of bioreactor + solar panel? Or both? I would have assumed when the solar panel stopped working, the bioreactor would take over. Am I mistaken? Is that intentional? Or am I misreading yet something else and should try yet another test?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Kurasu wrote: »
    I happened to have an idea. The base where this is happening has a solar panel as well. The solar panel makes power normally. However, I was noticing that when it was drained at night, there was no power coming in (my power was at 726/750 and not going up at all, which is when I noticed it the first time).

Power continued to tick up, thus making it clear that the bioreactor is apparently being overwritten by the solar panel altogether, and when it's gone, is now active (or trying to be?).

So that leaves some extra confusion on my part: is the issue with what's inside the bioreactor? Or the overlap of bioreactor + solar panel? Or both? I would have assumed when the solar panel stopped working, the bioreactor would take over. Am I mistaken? Is that intentional? Or am I misreading yet something else and should try yet another test?

@Belgarel is there a testing regimen you would recommend? Looks like you've got a volunteer for testing (unless the info provided is already enough).
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @Kurasu I've often had solar panels and bioreactors at the same time and they seem to generate power simultaneously. I'm leaning towards a bug with the bonesharks, but you never know with this game. There may be some other factor causing a conflict between the two different power sources.
    There is one
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    @Kurasu I've often had solar panels and bioreactors at the same time and they seem to generate power simultaneously. I'm leaning towards a bug with the bonesharks, but you never know with this game. There may be some other factor causing a conflict between the two different power sources.

I want to say they fixed the problem with ion batteries not working in the Habitat Builder by simply modifying a simple variable or list that determined which batteries it would accept. I'm hoping there is a similarly easy solution for Bone Sharks. I assume the Bone Shark just doesn't have a value for "bio energy" or somesuch. Thus, you drop it in the Bio Reactor and get no energy. But who knows...
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

@Belgarel is there a testing regimen you would recommend? Looks like you've got a volunteer for testing (unless the info provided is already enough).

Happy to test, plus I have the save of me standing in front of the offending bioreactor in case you want to poke a finger at the data it contains.
    edited October 2017
    Just read something on the back end that suggests @Belgarel fixed this today. So, you might wait until tomorrow and see—assuming you are running latest experimental tomorrow.

54991 is the version with the fix.

54991 /main 2017-10-12 04:49:28 Steven Brown Fix spinefish being considered non-organic by the bioreactor. Power values are copied from the hoopfish.
    This isn't a spinefish, however. It's a bone shark. The spinefish, you couldn't even place in the bioreactor at all because it didn't think it was organic. Bone sharks, you can place inside normally.

Also, just as an FYI: Crabsquid are considered non-organic as well. You can't put them in the bioreactor at all. :) Unless that was changed in an experimental.
    This isn't a spinefish, however. It's a bone shark. The spinefish, you couldn't even place in the bioreactor at all because it didn't think it was organic. Bone sharks, you can place inside normally.

Also, just as an FYI: Crabsquid are considered non-organic as well. You can't put them in the bioreactor at all. :) Unless that was changed in an experimental.

Thanks! I definitely don't know my Subnautica fish. :)

The fact I do might say how much I've been playing. :D
    .... or it might say just how much of a biology nerd I am. Either-or.
    Anyway, spinefish are the little edible fish that look like fishbones. I noticed a long while back that you couldn't stuff one into the bioreactor for whatever reason. Maybe they were added later in the game and just not set properly. :)
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    That's why I zipped the save. If I do something and it fixes the problem, that's fine, but if there's a recurring issue, it might be good to know *why* it's happening so they can correct the spot in the code if it's something minor. :)

Is the save posted somewhere? I'll take a look. I tried a boneshark and didn't see anything wrong.

Fixed in 55053.
    edited October 2017
    Belgarel wrote: »
    That's why I zipped the save. If I do something and it fixes the problem, that's fine, but if there's a recurring issue, it might be good to know *why* it's happening so they can correct the spot in the code if it's something minor. :)

Is the save posted somewhere? I'll take a look. I tried a boneshark and didn't see anything wrong.

Fixed in 55053.

@Belgarel

Thanks for the fix! It's not posted anywhere, no. I was going to ask: where does one post .zip files like that for accessing? I'll do that right away; wasn't sure if there was a specific place they were put, but I couldn't find it. :P
    Google Drive, Dropbox, etc and just post a sharing link.
    Update to this bug: I created another base. Solar panel, followed by bioreactor. Progression of what I did, and what happened.

Bioreactor was added, and not filled with anything. Power is 250/750.

I filled it with (this time) a holefish. I stayed at 250/750. Neither ticking up, nor down. Unless my base was keeping complete pace with the scanner room (draining at the *exact* pace it is gaining energy) that seemed suspicious. So I decided to test a couple other things.

I removed the solar panel. My power is now 0/500, with no power warnings from the base.

I removed the scanner room. My power began to tick up normally.

I reloaded the game to *before* I removed the solar panel and scanner room, but *after* I filled the bioreactor. Power began ticking up (and down) normally.

*scratches his head*
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    Btw, I've not forgotten about this, I started poking at it a few days ago but some worse base bugs came up. I'll get back to it this week.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    There's also a bug with the Creepvine. The version without the glowing seeds. If you try to put it in a bioreactor that is too full for it, but has empty space. It will accept it. but than delete the item.
    @Kurasu, the first save looks ok to me (at least on experimental), I think it's just the current power system being difficult to understand. You've got 500/500 power in the bioreactor and 111.3/125 power in the solar panel getting 0% sun. For some reason I've not looked into yet, solars get doubled so you have 723/750 power total. Due to construction order, the solar's storage will be drained first when something wants power. If you do "night" in the console to keep the solar offline and then remove some things from your water purifier so you have power drain, you'll see the power dropping and see it coming entirely from what's in the solar panel. If you let the purifier go until it gets to 500/750 power, you'll see the solar at 0 but the power will start fluctuating and slowly declining from 500 - this is the bioreactor kicking in and producing power from your boneshark to almost keep up with demand.

For your newer test, I tried replicating that on experimental and it seemed to be working as it should. The scanner's been tweaked a lot lately and in earlier versions might not have restored its state correctly on load leading to it not drawing power. The power produced by the holefish was probably very similar to the power drain of the scanner room but it's been changed recently and outpaces the scanner. It might be worth trying out experimental and see if you see the same.
    Solar is doubled when they are on a building roof. The *exact why* of it, I don't know, but if you want to test with base power, put the solar panel on the ground beside the building instead of on the roof of it.

I noticed that when I built an aboveground base and couldn't reach the roof. :)

Thanks for double checking! I suspect that's what the issue was/is with the save: confusion on my part about how the power system works. It's impossible to tell where things are coming from and what is and isn't giving it. :)

The second was *definitely* more baffling, but I had intended to try a new game again on experimental and see how things go from there (I didn't want to restore the old save where the 'holefish' thing happened; I was mostly just throwing stuff at the wall with experimental). Will let you know if it happens again.
    @Hulkie2345:
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    There's also a bug with the Creepvine. The version without the glowing seeds. If you try to put it in a bioreactor that is too full for it, but has empty space. It will accept it. but than delete the item.

I have actually noticed the 'deleting items' thing my own self. I have/had a theory that what was happening is that the item was going away immediately because their power level was being 'added' to the thing(s) already in there.

So if have, say, a crashfish that is at 250/1000, and you put in a 100 power seed, the seed immediately vanishes, but the crashfish is now 350/1000.

..... at least that is my guess, considering I've had a number of things that I put into the bioreactors that just straight up disappeared in the past. It seemed to make the most sense as to why.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    I wasn't using any power in the base at the time of them deleting. So I'm still saying its a space allocation issue.
    I'm happy to stand corrected. ;)
    Solar is doubled when they are on a building roof. The *exact why* of it, I don't know, but if you want to test with base power, put the solar panel on the ground beside the building instead of on the roof of it.

I noticed that when I built an aboveground base and couldn't reach the roof. :)

Also, if it helps: when the power is "doubled", items take 2x the amount of energy (IIRC). So, fabricating something costs 5 power, well, if your panels are on the base instead of the ground, they cost 10 power instead. -- Not sure how that plays with mixed generator types, would have to check. Also this might be outdated info, but last I knew, it wasn't.
    In 55416 I've added the charge level of the bioreactor / nuclear reactor to the tooltip to make it more clear what's going on.
    @Belgarel Excellent!

Suggestion: would it be possible to add a % of power left, or a number of points left, to the fuel inside as well? Or would that be too easy? ;) It might at least make it clearer to people why when they add some items to their bioreactor, the item disappears instantly (unless that's *not* the reason).

Personally, I feel bioreactor fuel should be a case of 'First In, First Out' rather than 'First In, Last Out' myself. It only makes sense.

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited October 2017
    @Kurasu it's more a case of consume the smallest first - even if the smallest wasn't there when the bioenergy was actually being produced. Energy used up is apparently tracked by the bioreactor itself, which then removes an item when the consumed energy is greater than the energy of the item. In your example above, energy consumed was 750 when you added the 100 energy seed, which was instantly used up. This made the energy consumed 650.

I do agree, though, that this creates unexpected behavior. :)