Greetings Survivor, great job not dying.

RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
edited September 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
I love a lot of the new dialogue, and the voice overs for them are great. However when I started a new game and the PDA's AI welcomed me with a professional-toned and uninteresting "I'm here to keep you alive." I was shocked. I had gotten so used to the sometimes snarky comments from the PDA on zones - "The number one cause of death in caves like this is getting lost then drowning. Just so you know." / "This biome meets 7 of the 9 preconditions of being objectively creepy" ... While the new VO's for the Blood Kelp Zone and Kelp Forest Caves are very similar, the new Blood Kelp message lacks the same witty feeling of the original. "Inducing terror in humans" doesn't sound as entertaining as "Being objectively creepy" and omitting the "Just so you know." side-remark. The PDA now often comes off sounding far too stiff and formal, and overall just.... Not as entertaining.

I began to fear that the "Are you sure whatever you're doing is worth it?" comment in the Dunes, but thankfully some of the PDA's humor is still there....... At least for now.

I'd really like to see this sort of humorous comemntary make a comeback, even if it's an option or something to switch on when starting a game after 1.0 since we're at a point where it's probably too late to go making changes like this, but I especially at least want to see that opening remark about you not dying come back. That was so good, and a shame it's no longer what the PDA says to you :( That's the one I'll miss the most.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    I love a lot of the new dialogue, and the voice overs for them are great. However when I started a new game and the PDA's AI welcomed me with a professional-toned and uninteresting "I'm here to keep you alive." I was shocked. I had gotten so used to the sometimes snarky comments from the PDA on zones - "The number one cause of death in caves like this is getting lost then drowning. Just so you know." / "This biome meets 7 of the 9 preconditions of being objectively creepy" ... While the new VO's for the Blood Kelp Zone and Kelp Forest Caves are very similar, the new Blood Kelp message lacks the same witty feeling of the original. "Inducing terror in humans" doesn't sound as entertaining as "Being objectively creepy" and omitting the "Just so you know." side-remark. The PDA now often comes off sounding far too stiff and formal, and overall just.... Not as entertaining.

I began to fear that the "Are you sure whatever you're doing is worth it?" comment in the Dunes, but thankfully some of the PDA's humor is still there....... At least for now.

I'd really like to see this sort of humorous comemntary make a comeback, even if it's an option or something to switch on when starting a game after 1.0 since we're at a point where it's probably too late to go making changes like this, but I especially at least want to see that opening remark about you not dying come back. That was so good, and a shame it's no longer what the PDA says to you :( That's the one I'll miss the most.

It would be awesome to get some sort of a choice at the beginning. I mean, it's your survival PDA, and you might prefer one or the other (stuffy biz-suit exec probably wants all-business, formal PDA, while the mechanic wants some personality).
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

It would be awesome to get some sort of a choice at the beginning. I mean, it's your survival PDA, and you might prefer one or the other (stuffy biz-suit exec probably wants all-business, formal PDA, while the mechanic wants some personality).

Admittedly you'd probably still miss out on the initial message, unless it had a sort of "Character customization" sort of window pop up asking what sort of PDA you'd like after it does the whole Alterra message. Then it greets you either professionally or in a sassy "Hey look you didn't die, good for you!" sort of way.

The downside to this is that they'd need to do multiple VO's for every line of dialogue (Which admittedly there isn't THAT many as in say the announcements in Halo or Stellaris) and that costs money. Time and money I should add. It would make for a cute DLC though, cosmetic stuff that they could add down the road. Maybe a female VO for your character / a male VO for the PDA too.

People like talking New Biomes! New vehicles/craftables! New monsters! for DLC, but there's more than just that they could introduce~ Like more Game Options (Nitrogen Narcosis? Switch it on when creating a game for extra immersion, difficulty, and frustration!)
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I gotta agree - the snarky comments aren't realistic, that is to say I don't think a survival program would be written like that, but it's a lot more fun/entertaining.
    Welp, guess this line of dialogue is gone for good.
    https://trello.com/c/hjzXyuIe/6408-fix-intro-voice-stuff-for-tom
    People are complaining about too much VO at game start. I am cutting back my texts, but there are other voice bits that are playing incorrectly or too early, which are out of my control, and exacerbating the situation.

Track down whatever is triggering the voice line "Good job not dying..." which triggers when the PDA is first booted after the fire is put out, and cut it. This line is not being translated, and has been replaced by a new line, which is in english.json.

No use asking for it back now, since they seem to have made up their mind on the matter.
  • RagnosRagnos Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230812Members
    I'm with the OP on this as well. I remember starting a new game to find that, hold on... the A.I dialogue changed! What happened to "Great job not dying?!" And as I went on I found that other lines had changed as well and I found myself saying "Noooooo..." more often than I'd like. XD
    Since the devs probably still have the original voice files; a choice on PDA start-up such as "Welcome to your PDA system. For your pleasure please pick a preferred personality." *Humorous* or *Serious*
    This would require having conditionals in the code where the voice is triggered, and I don't think the devs would feel like going back through to add that.
    Though a future mod could be possible. ^.^
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    edited October 2017
  • SaladExistsSaladExists Canada Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219747Members
    The problem is, the voice (I think) is a voice that reads out text, so you can make it repeat the voice a thousand times and it would be read the same, so you cant really have humor.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I gotta agree - the snarky comments aren't realistic, that is to say I don't think a survival program would be written like that, but it's a lot more fun/entertaining.

It would be even more sarcastic if had control over that shizzle :tongue:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Sidchicken wrote: »

It would be even more sarcastic if had control over that shizzle :tongue:

Hey Kouji, start lobbying for workshop support
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Everyone loves sarcastic and snarky AI's. There are numerous books, movies and games that would be total flops without it.

Removing it was a major blow to the game potential.
    PC police should be arrested
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Wait, really? It was removed because of people complaining about being morbid? The hell... Why can't AI computers be allowed to be assholes if they want to? What was HAL or MOTHER. They're both asshole AI's. It's not even like some super insane want to murder you, comment. People need to lighten up.
    edited October 2017
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Wait, really? It was removed because of people complaining about being morbid? The hell... Why can't AI computers be allowed to be assholes if they want to? What was HAL or MOTHER. They're both asshole AI's. It's not even like some super insane want to murder you, comment. People need to lighten up.

Don't forget GLaDOS, Stark's snarky Jarvis and the sarcasm setting on the TARS

If them devs are actually going to do this :worried: The thing is all it takes in this day in age is some pansies getting offended, to stop any satire that doesn't protect their fragile souls. These people need to be slapped and educated to stop being offended by everything. Maybe a poll would be a proper way to handle this, but no...

And of course they want to appease their kid friendly nature, although them devs come from a generation (my generation), where cartoons were actually edgy, funny and not quite political correct. Our generation turned out fine, so what's the deal...

I for one love the way Blizzard handled the PC police, slamming them for the "provocative" poses by their female characters. By creating even sexier poses as a big FU aimed at these dipshits :D TBH that is only ONLY way to handle these lying and manipulative creatures, who are in fact a very small minority, a loud minority, but still close to nonexistent. And once they get their way, they want more and you're stuck in this vicious cycle of always being afraid to offend some random person. And you end up with ie: American Television, where they speak fluid *BEEEP*

Never give in to unfounded bullshit, you actually get more respect by standing up to that nonsense. I mean let's take Youtube for example, just look at who the most popular Let's-players are, just to keep it in the land of gaming. The ones speaking their mind, the ones who are not PC at all... Those are the ones standing out and as a result gain a huge following. Just some food for thought, but this applies to everything.

People want don't want cowardly censored and fake, they want tasteful raw and real!
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    @Kouji_San
    @Hulkie2345
    I would like to include Marvin from HHGTTG to this neverending list. It's by far my favorite AI character.
    edited October 2017
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    @Kouji_San
    @Hulkie2345
    I would like to include Marvin from HHGTTG to this neverending list. It's by far my favorite AI character.

Hehe yeah there are probably much more snarky AI's. Do Claptrap and Bender count for example :D
    edited October 2017
    Wait wait wait, they also changed the fish tooltips? No more "is kinda like jerky" and etc? And "Too morbid"? Dude, if that's really the case then they're gonna need to cut out the entirety of the Lost River and not to mention the story about a DISEASE THAT WIPED OUT A SPECIES. Plus the scene where you see you're infected. "Great job not dying" is too morbid for the game, but seeing that infected scene and being told a ship carrying hundreds WAS LEFT WITH NO SURVIVORS isn't morbid? Really?? Then the Sunbeam being shot down, the one situation where you literally get to see people die - a passing snarky remark about your situation, and talking about cooked fish, is too morbid but the Story about a super disease and watching a ship get blown up isn't morbid enough to be cut?

Assuming of course, that's really the reason those got axed - but if it is, then that's just absurd in so many ways.
    I demand hookers and Blackjack!
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    I have faith the modding community will handle that.

JCG6coe.png

The Alterra Workshop will hopefully someday come to Subnautica someday, along with the Terraformer (Map Editing program).

• KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    The PDA is getting *worse*!

They have now removed the story about someone who died from not knowing how to dress themselves. I *liked* that story! :(

What next? No snark about running out of gas and not answering the phone?!
    Kurasu wrote: »

They have now removed the story about someone who died from not knowing how to dress themselves. I *liked* that story! :(

I'm kinda curious why they're suddenly wussing out like this. Someone ask them on discord :trollface:
  • LAZYNOOB2017LAZYNOOB2017 United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-12-31 Member: 225824Members

The radiation suit one?!
    Darth Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(Please don't tell anyone that I died because I didn't know how to dress myself).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Why is this thread not in General Discussion with a big poll so the devs can see how players feel about the PDA?

Reading that back it sounds slightly....
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members

The radiation suit one?!

(Please don't tell anyone that I died because I didn't know how to dress myself).

That one! Yes!
  • LAZYNOOB2017LAZYNOOB2017 United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-12-31 Member: 225824Members

The radiation suit one?!

That one! Yes!
    (Star Wars The Force Awakens spoilers)

I feel like Han Solo being betrayed by his son.
    I'm Han Solo and I'm killed by the new PDA
    edited October 2017
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Why is this thread not in General Discussion with a big poll so the devs can see how players feel about the PDA?

Reading that back it sounds slightly....

Well I remember a poll about the Lava Zone but it got shot down because it would interfere with the planned progression through the story. As if the story's really that crucial to the gameplay. How many folks go through the stories in Elder Scrolls and Fallout before they get bored and just sandbox it? Ditto with Subnautica, it's fun once or twice and after that you'll just want to do your own thing instead of being bound to a storyline.

So if these are going against their vision for the game, then it doesn't really matter how many people are against it. With that being said, they really don't need to cut these things to keep the ESRB rating they're aiming for. If "too morbid" is the reason, then why - may I ask - is the Carar still a thing? Really, why? That's literally the most morbid thing in the game, and even a child would be able to comprehend just how serious that virus is (Or was, if they decide to cut the lines about how many lives it took).

I can somewhat understand the map changes they made, even if I don't fully agree or like them. However these changes are just unnecessary and simply absurd. You can keep an E rating even with those dialogues, and cutting these lines just... I don't know how I can really explain it but it's just absurd. Again, there's that scene where you see yourself infected and you learn about the Carar - THAT is okay, but a passing comment in the PDA isn't?
    I'm not bound to the story. Even when we blast off with the rocket. The game is just gonna reload you back to the world. We all continue on doing whatever. The story just gates items off. But doesn't tell you: You can't build 1000 power transfers so that you have solar power run to your ILZ base.

Well I remember a poll about the Lava Zone but it got shot down because it would interfere with the planned progression through the story. As if the story's really that crucial to the gameplay. How many folks go through the stories in Elder Scrolls and Fallout before they get bored and just sandbox it? Ditto with Subnautica, it's fun once or twice and after that you'll just want to do your own thing instead of being bound to a storyline.

When people play TES and Fallout, they don't just get bored of playing the story, they play a few missions, get a few weapons and items, then explore a little, then do some side quests, then do a few story missions, rinse and repeat. If those games didn't have a story and side quests then they would be incredibly boring. Yeah, the gameplay matters, but so does the story. It's the same with Subnautica, the story basically encourages you to travel to the different biomes. Without the story, the game would be fun to explore but there wouldn't be a reason to actually try and go so far down besides seeing it once.