IMPORTANT PSA if you are crashing on the new patch 318 (Windows only)

IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
edited October 2017 in NS2 General Discussion
This is for Windows users only:
  • Ensure you are not running any overlays such as Rivatuner. Overlays do not play well with NS2.
  • Ensure you are not running the DX11 BETA - run DX9 fullscreen in your graphics options.
  • Ensure you do not have your pagefile / virtual memory disabled.

If you are still having problems please contact us on our Discord, and supply us with your techsupport.exe generated zip file (the exe is found in your NS2 install folder, run it only when NS2 is closed) and your public IP so that we may confirm your submitted crash dump in our system.
Feel free to contact me directly in a PM (Ironhorse) with said info.

The majority of the client crashes we're seeing being automatically submitted to our system include these issues, as well as a resource loader one we're looking into now.

UPDATE:
If you're crashing and would like to try an experimental branch that's compatible with the live build, please follow the following instructions
  1. disable pagefile again temporarily if you had it disabled previously and were experiencing issues.
  2. right click NS2 in steam > properties > Betas > select the x64 branch > let it download the update
  3. try to run the game and see if you still crash

Please report back whether this has helped you, if you are affected

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Will DX11 beta be removed as an option?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    We're seriously considering it.
    It's either that, or dump a lot of development time into it, to make it better than dx9 / fix all the bugs, and then make it the only one.
    Either way, maintaining two renderers is getting extremely difficult to properly playtest and ensure quality.

Anyone remember that bug a few patches ago that crashed DX11 users only when they placed webs? Yea.. even having half the playtesters run in DX11 still didn't help find that one.
    Edit: we actually maintain 3 renderers, Opengl included for linux.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    IronHorse wrote: »
    We're seriously considering it.
    It's either that, or dump a lot of development time into it, to make it better than dx9 / fix all the bugs, and then make it the only one.
    Either way, maintaining two renderers is getting extremely difficult to properly playtest and ensure quality.

Anyone remember that bug a few patches ago that crashed DX11 users only when they placed webs? Yea.. even having half the playtesters run in DX11 still didn't help find that one.
    Edit: we actually maintain 3 renderers, Opengl included for linux.

Does anyone even use DX11?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Plenty of people use DX11. Some say it reduces frame times. For others, it creates horrible problems.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »
    Plenty of people use DX11. Some say it reduces frame times. For others, it creates horrible problems.

TIL. I only knew about the second group.
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    edited October 2017
    At least the crashes are a good stress test for the new crash reporter, right ? :smiley:
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    Updating the OP with this information on a new branch:

UPDATE:
    If you're crashing and would like to try an experimental branch that's compatible with the live build, please follow the following instructions
    1. disable pagefile again temporarily if you had it disabled previously and were experiencing issues.
    2. right click NS2 in steam > properties > Betas > select the x64 branch > let it download the update
    3. try to run the game and see if you still crash

Please report back whether this has helped you, if you are affected
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    DX11 always provided better min fps for me but since 3 or 4 patches ago it started to crash after ~20minutes in game.
  • Sun_StormSun_Storm France Join Date: 2014-08-22 Member: 198062Members
    edited October 2017
    Hi!

Before update, no crash.

Now, when I am connecting to one serveur, the game loads and during "connecting" I have a rollback to main menu without layout (i.e no start game, no options etc)

Uninstalled Rivatuner, Raer synpase, downloaded Beta update, updated Nvidia driver to last version, launch X32 client, DX9 option on, unistalled the game then reinstall --> same issue

I run under Windows 10 X64 Anniversary update
    Core i5 Quad core
    16 Gb
    Geforce 970 GTX
    Asus Xonar DX

How can help you?

Thanks
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    Sun_Storm wrote: »
    Hi!

Before update, no crash.

Now, when I am connecting to one serveur, the game loads and during "connecting" I have a rollback to main menu without layout (i.e no start game, no options etc)

Uninstalled Rivatuner, Raer synpase, downloaded Beta update, updated Nvidia driver to last version, launch X32 client, DX9 option on, unistalled the game then reinstall --> same issue

I run under Windows 10 X64 Anniversary update
    Core i5 Quad core
    16 Gb
    Geforce 970 GTX
    Asus Xonar DX

How can help you?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm sorry for your troubles. But we need more details to figure out what's going on. So please follow the instructions of https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post-read-me-first and create a thread in the tech support forum .

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me via direct message or discord.
  • Sun_StormSun_Storm France Join Date: 2014-08-22 Member: 198062Members
    edited October 2017
    Issue resolved with uninstall VC2013, run perfectly under normal (not beta client) with VC2015 + VC2012 + VC 2010 + VC2018. So something broken with last update and VC2013 ;)

Update: now I can run the game but when become commander the interface is broken... please roll back to update 317 :'(
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Sun_Storm wrote: »
    Issue resolved with uninstall VC2013, run perfectly under normal (not beta client) with VC2015 + VC2012 + VC 2010 + VC2018. So something broken with last update and VC2013 ;)

Update: now I can run the game but when become commander the interface is broken... please roll back to update 317 :'(

That was a mod problem that affected every server with Shine Epsilon. It's been fixed but you need to restart your client.