Subnautica Price Increasing on Steam - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
imageSubnautica Price Increasing on Steam - Subnautica

Subnautica on Steam is edging towards launch. We are aiming for release on the 31st of October, 2017. There’s lots of work still to do, particularly with regards to performance,...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    General note of agreement and well wishing.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Sounds fair, if not generous, to me. Excited to see the price increase, you deserve it for all your hard work these past few years!
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I'm really thrilled at the increase being as reasonable as it is. For someone who was bracing for a $50 game or so, this is not only completely reasonable, but above expectations. You make me a very happy man with the pricing, IMO.

Fingers crossed for the 'ironing out' to be done in time for projected release date! :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Seems way low to me. It's a big game! I'd have picked $40.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I wish they'd fix more bugs and then, yeah, go for $39.99. But with the short release deadline, the game will still have all the same FPS drops off and a number of other similar bugs that might keep folks from paying the full $39.99. At only $24.99, the game is one heck of a bargain.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    garath wrote: »
    I wish they'd fix more bugs and then, yeah, go for $39.99. But with the short release deadline, the game will still have all the same FPS drops off and a number of other similar bugs that might keep folks from paying the full $39.99. At only $24.99, the game is one heck of a bargain.

Have faith. They'll get performance up by the time it's released, they just haven't been focusing on it until now.
  • mgardner323mgardner323 United States Join Date: 2017-09-28 Member: 233276Members
    I think this is more than date beings most games of this Calibur deserves good revenue. Also someone's got to pay those great people who created this great game.
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    do what you guys need to, for such a marvelous game pretty much still underselling it. won't affect me considering i already own the preview for xbox.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I agree with others that the upped price is still generously low for the amount of fun, quality and awesomeness the game has to offer. It's been an interesting journey watching and helping Subnautica grow during those two years since I got into early access, and I'm quite confident that the launch will be a great success.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Sometimes I wonder if having the price low, even at $24.99, hinders sales ("$24.99? Must be a cheap-o game that I'd blow through in 2 hours, I'll pass.") -- Hopefully that isn't the case.
  • icesamzeroicesamzero United States Join Date: 2017-08-17 Member: 232453Members
  • SadPandaaSadPandaa United States Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231807Members
    I was seriously expecting a full $59.99 price on release. I guess with $25 price it will sell like crazy and probably bring in just as much revenue but it still seems very low for how much gameplay there is.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I know you guys are an indie and all that stuff, but I really think this game should be at the top of the indie price tree - 29.99. Anything lower is an injustice to this game.

I have said this many times, but I honestly believe this is going to be one of the biggest selling indie games of all time.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I feel like releasing it in only a month might be a bit too ambitious. The game is great, no doubt about it, but it could seriously use another month of polishing.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I feel like releasing it in only a month might be a bit too ambitious. The game is great, no doubt about it, but it could seriously use another month of polishing.

They seem pretty set on their Hallow's Eve release date. And in all honesty, I'm incredibly pleased about this. It's been long since we've been able to believe a release date, I remember when they wanted to release the game August 2015. But since they're sticking to their guns on this, it's exciting to finally be looking forward to the date of release, when Subnautica finally releases.

And I fully expect a Spoopy mod to be in place by release time. Who wouldn't want to see a true Reaper jumpscare? Or maybe just a Reaper with a jack-o-lantern head.

Somebody write that down.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    I'm quite happy with the $24 release price over all. Given the lack of pre-rendered cutscenes, quality voice acting, and other AAA title bells and whistles, selling it for more would lead to heightened expectations, and negative feedback with people expecting quality on par with Dying Light or Fallout 4 at a $49+ price tag.

Also playing through the storyline for the first time start to finish I figure will take most players about 30ish hours give or take, (far less if they wiki the wreck locations after getting frustrated/bored swimming around without a map trying to find them.) so $24 feels about right for a game of Subnautica's length and depth. (pardon the pun.)

It's also at that price point where a lot more gamers are willing to take a chance on it, and feel happy with the purchase, compared to the "wait and see" approach a lot of us take with $60 games given the investment is more significant. (and some pricey titles, such at No Mans Sky, are no where near worth the price point demanded.)

• palo280zxpalo280zx Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230221Members
    It would be amazing to have the destroyed life pods able to be repaired and float to the surface as fast travel points
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I thought the EU law was that you only need to notify of the impending price increase at least 30 days in advance. In fact, I think increasing the price now, when you have actually only given one or two days warning, is what the law actually disallows.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    Fix the damn title you boobs :#
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I'd've gone for 39.99 But I love this game.

I don't even really regret that my second copy was stolen from my Steam account before I could gift it (despite the fact that the account that stole it was shut down, Steam wouldn't return the key).
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Hugh you gotta click the cog icon and 'Refetch page' otherwise the title defaults to "Undefined discussion subject" but don't worry I got your back this time bro.

Honestly you can't get the staff these days. B)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Foxy wrote: »
    @Hugh you gotta click the cog icon and 'Refetch page' otherwise the title defaults to "Undefined discussion subject" but don't worry I got your back this time bro.

Honestly you can't get the staff these days. B)

Thanks
    giphy.gif
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Everyone who is willing to spend $59.99 for the game... If you haven't bought Natural Selection 2 yet, I highly recommend buying that game--whether you plan on playing it or not--as a way to support UWE.
    Everyone who is willing to spend $59.99 for the game... If you haven't bought Natural Selection 2 yet, I highly recommend buying that game--whether you plan on playing it or not--as a way to support UWE.

Screw NS2 man, it's all about the Zen of Sudoku!!!
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited September 2017
    Skope wrote: »
    And I fully expect a Spoopy mod to be in place by release time. Who wouldn't want to see a true Reaper jumpscare? Or maybe just a Reaper with a jack-o-lantern head.

Somebody write that down.

Did somebody say spoopy mod?

(This year I hope to do remodeled fish :smile:)
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Skope wrote: »
    And I fully expect a Spoopy mod to be in place by [ Halloween ] . Who wouldn't want to see a true Reaper jumpscare? Or maybe just a Reaper with a jack-o-lantern head.
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    Did somebody say spoopy mod?

(This year I hope to do remodeled fish :smile:)
    Hey, I know this is asking for a lot, but how about something along the lines of the City of Heroes Halloween Events. :)

It's likely way too much. And there's no doors to knock on to trick-or-treat. Not to mention not a lot of ability to defend against the Unseelie Court and the other minor beasties.

But just image dropping Eochai and Jack in Irons onto 4546B. Thought Leviathans are scary.... And there's more eldritch horrors than those two in City of Heroes. Like the whole zone of Dark Astoria and what lurks there. :)

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

Or if you own both a PC and an Xbox, could buy it on both platforms. So nice you bought it twice.

Alternatively, gift it to a friend on Steam who doesn't already have it! :D
  • SladePrecarnaSladePrecarna Join Date: 2017-09-30 Member: 233326Members
    i dont care i can buy it 50 times