Subnautica Price Increasing on Steam - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond Posts: 452 vanilla
imageSubnautica Price Increasing on Steam - Subnautica

Subnautica on Steam is edging towards launch. We are aiming for release on the 31st of October, 2017. There’s lots of work still to do, particularly with regards to performance,...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts Posts: 1,763 admin
    Bump to open comment thread
    The fastest way to contact me is via @hugh_jeremy on Twitter! Add me on Steam: Strayan. I do not check forum PMs.
    Keep up to date on what is going on with: Unknown Worlds | Natural Selection 2 | Subnautica
    Chat with the UWE team on Twitter | The best way to be notified about Subnautica updates is to sign up to our development newsletters
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members Posts: 130 Advanced user
    General note of agreement and well wishing.
    "The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go." - Sanae Hanekoma
    Hugh0x6A7232Quiet_BlowfishTarkannen
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members Posts: 185 Advanced user
    WOO RELEASE HYPE
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members Posts: 237 Advanced user
    Sounds fair, if not generous, to me. Excited to see the price increase, you deserve it for all your hard work these past few years!
    0x6A7232baronvonsatan
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members Posts: 274 Advanced user
    I'm really thrilled at the increase being as reasonable as it is. For someone who was bracing for a $50 game or so, this is not only completely reasonable, but above expectations. You make me a very happy man with the pricing, IMO.

Fingers crossed for the 'ironing out' to be done in time for projected release date! :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, Pistachionauts Posts: 4,205 Advanced user
    Seems way low to me. It's a big game! I'd have picked $40.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members Posts: 922 Advanced user
    I wish they'd fix more bugs and then, yeah, go for $39.99. But with the short release deadline, the game will still have all the same FPS drops off and a number of other similar bugs that might keep folks from paying the full $39.99. At only $24.99, the game is one heck of a bargain.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members Posts: 505 Advanced user
    garath wrote: »
    I wish they'd fix more bugs and then, yeah, go for $39.99. But with the short release deadline, the game will still have all the same FPS drops off and a number of other similar bugs that might keep folks from paying the full $39.99. At only $24.99, the game is one heck of a bargain.

Have faith. They'll get performance up by the time it's released, they just haven't been focusing on it until now.
  • mgardner323mgardner323 United States Join Date: 2017-09-28 Member: 233276Members Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    I think this is more than date beings most games of this Calibur deserves good revenue. Also someone's got to pay those great people who created this great game.
    Jacke
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members Posts: 55 Advanced user
    do what you guys need to, for such a marvelous game pretty much still underselling it. won't affect me considering i already own the preview for xbox.
    Jacke
  • Calarand77Calarand77 hiding from reapers Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members Posts: 316 Advanced user
    I agree with others that the upped price is still generously low for the amount of fun, quality and awesomeness the game has to offer. It's been an interesting journey watching and helping Subnautica grow during those two years since I got into early access, and I'm quite confident that the launch will be a great success.
    Jacke0x6A7232Rainstorm
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members Posts: 4,859 Advanced user
    Sometimes I wonder if having the price low, even at $24.99, hinders sales ("$24.99? Must be a cheap-o game that I'd blow through in 2 hours, I'll pass.") -- Hopefully that isn't the case.
    UWE Community guidelines | Guide to play in VR with Google Cardboard or Gear | Increase Subnautica view distance | Useful info to post with error reports | Recovery of corrupted saved games
    Crashing, lag problems? Or maybe your old save didn't get the latest update? Upload your saved game folder to help the devs troubleshoot, then try clearing your cache directories | Automatic Cache cleaning tool here | How to use the Debug Console | How to play any version of Subnautica using Steam | Tips for Subnautica beginners | Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with Want more frames? Try adding this to your launch options: -window-mode exclusive
    Slow loading / textures popping in? Try moving Subnautica to an SSD | How to switch Subnautica to Experimental mode (clear cache afterwards) | How to run chkdsk on your drive | How to verify integrity of your game cache (in the "Installation" section) | Blue screens or computer freezing up? Try this fix (updates a corrupted DX10 compatibility file in the graphics driver that sometimes doesn't get updated)
    Subnautica launches in a tiny window? Use Task Manager to Maximize it (Thanks FlippingPower) | How to place your Moonpool so it connects correctly (includes diagrams) | Want to hang out with fellow players and the devs? Subnautica Discord server ← swing on by! | SuspensionRailway's Modding Emporium Hey, look, mods! | ReShade mods | Subnautica NexusMods | Humans don't crush at the depths you might think
    Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey | Get detailed info for troubleshooting: CPU-Z | GPU-Z | HWiNFO64 | Speccy | Pastebin | Recover the data on your crashed hard disk! | I'm a Total Geek
    Forum BBCode Rainbow text generator
    Calarand77Quiet_BlowfishcooliticcdaragornRainstorm
  • icesamzeroicesamzero United States Join Date: 2017-08-17 Member: 232453Members Posts: 4 Fully active user
  • SadPandaaSadPandaa United States Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231807Members Posts: 16 Advanced user
    I was seriously expecting a full $59.99 price on release. I guess with $25 price it will sell like crazy and probably bring in just as much revenue but it still seems very low for how much gameplay there is.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue Posts: 4,265 Advanced user
    I know you guys are an indie and all that stuff, but I really think this game should be at the top of the indie price tree - 29.99. Anything lower is an injustice to this game.

I have said this many times, but I honestly believe this is going to be one of the biggest selling indie games of all time.
    Games:Subnautica Fan Game Mods: GorgeCraft & CTF & Proving Grounds Website: andysoulrider.uk
    Twitter: @AndySoulRider Twitch: Twitch.tv/SoulRider YouTube: Youtube.com/user/IamSoulRider/videos

Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
    Knowledge is gained through listening, Understanding is gained through discussion.
    cdaragornRezcaRainstormkingkuma
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members Posts: 520 Advanced user
    I feel like releasing it in only a month might be a bit too ambitious. The game is great, no doubt about it, but it could seriously use another month of polishing.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members Posts: 1,166 Advanced user
    I feel like releasing it in only a month might be a bit too ambitious. The game is great, no doubt about it, but it could seriously use another month of polishing.

They seem pretty set on their Hallow's Eve release date. And in all honesty, I'm incredibly pleased about this. It's been long since we've been able to believe a release date, I remember when they wanted to release the game August 2015. But since they're sticking to their guns on this, it's exciting to finally be looking forward to the date of release, when Subnautica finally releases.

And I fully expect a Spoopy mod to be in place by release time. Who wouldn't want to see a true Reaper jumpscare? Or maybe just a Reaper with a jack-o-lantern head.

Somebody write that down.
    I've been skulking around here for almost four years.

Yet I still have no idea what's going on.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members Posts: 159 Advanced user
    I'm quite happy with the $24 release price over all. Given the lack of pre-rendered cutscenes, quality voice acting, and other AAA title bells and whistles, selling it for more would lead to heightened expectations, and negative feedback with people expecting quality on par with Dying Light or Fallout 4 at a $49+ price tag.

Also playing through the storyline for the first time start to finish I figure will take most players about 30ish hours give or take, (far less if they wiki the wreck locations after getting frustrated/bored swimming around without a map trying to find them.) so $24 feels about right for a game of Subnautica's length and depth. (pardon the pun.)

It's also at that price point where a lot more gamers are willing to take a chance on it, and feel happy with the purchase, compared to the "wait and see" approach a lot of us take with $60 games given the investment is more significant. (and some pricey titles, such at No Mans Sky, are no where near worth the price point demanded.)

sig3.jpg
    garath0x6A7232
  • palo280zxpalo280zx Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230221Members Posts: 1 Fully active user
    It would be amazing to have the destroyed life pods able to be repaired and float to the surface as fast travel points
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members Posts: 1,595 Advanced user
    I thought the EU law was that you only need to notify of the impending price increase at least 30 days in advance. In fact, I think increasing the price now, when you have actually only given one or two days warning, is what the law actually disallows.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 15,707 Advanced user
    edited September 2017
    Fix the damn title you boobs :#

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

garathSilveressa
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members Posts: 400 Advanced user
    I'd've gone for 39.99 But I love this game.

I don't even really regret that my second copy was stolen from my Steam account before I could gift it (despite the fact that the account that stole it was shut down, Steam wouldn't return the key).
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Forum staff Posts: 461 mod
    @Hugh you gotta click the cog icon and 'Refetch page' otherwise the title defaults to "Undefined discussion subject" but don't worry I got your back this time bro.

Honestly you can't get the staff these days. B)
    Kouji_San
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 15,707 Advanced user
    Foxy wrote: »
    @Hugh you gotta click the cog icon and 'Refetch page' otherwise the title defaults to "Undefined discussion subject" but don't worry I got your back this time bro.

Honestly you can't get the staff these days. B)

Thanks
    giphy.gif

Existence Unknown

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members Posts: 922 Advanced user
    Everyone who is willing to spend $59.99 for the game... If you haven't bought Natural Selection 2 yet, I highly recommend buying that game--whether you plan on playing it or not--as a way to support UWE.
    Rezca0x6A7232
    Everyone who is willing to spend $59.99 for the game... If you haven't bought Natural Selection 2 yet, I highly recommend buying that game--whether you plan on playing it or not--as a way to support UWE.

Screw NS2 man, it's all about the Zen of Sudoku!!!

Existence Unknown

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members Posts: 299 Advanced user
    edited September 2017
    Skope wrote: »
    And I fully expect a Spoopy mod to be in place by release time. Who wouldn't want to see a true Reaper jumpscare? Or maybe just a Reaper with a jack-o-lantern head.

Somebody write that down.

Did somebody say spoopy mod?

(This year I hope to do remodeled fish :smile:)
    JackeRezcaRainstormSkope
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members Posts: 581 Advanced user
    Skope wrote: »
    And I fully expect a Spoopy mod to be in place by [ Halloween ] . Who wouldn't want to see a true Reaper jumpscare? Or maybe just a Reaper with a jack-o-lantern head.
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    Did somebody say spoopy mod?

(This year I hope to do remodeled fish :smile:)
    Hey, I know this is asking for a lot, but how about something along the lines of the City of Heroes Halloween Events. :)

It's likely way too much. And there's no doors to knock on to trick-or-treat. Not to mention not a lot of ability to defend against the Unseelie Court and the other minor beasties.

But just image dropping Eochai and Jack in Irons onto 4546B. Thought Leviathans are scary.... And there's more eldritch horrors than those two in City of Heroes. Like the whole zone of Dark Astoria and what lurks there. :)

The 'e' is silent. BRING BACK "Great job not dying." !!!
    Rezca
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members Posts: 1,020 Advanced user

Or if you own both a PC and an Xbox, could buy it on both platforms. So nice you bought it twice.

Alternatively, gift it to a friend on Steam who doesn't already have it! :D
    A Great Jaggi under the sea~

0x6A7232
  • SladePrecarnaSladePrecarna Join Date: 2017-09-30 Member: 233326Members Posts: 1 Fully active user
    i dont care i can buy it 50 times