The games ending should be optional (And not even preffered)

QuillShotQuillShot Sweden Join Date: 2015-12-29 Member: 210565Members
I am really dissapointed with the fact that the game has an ending. Just like i was with terraria when it "ended" but it had alot of content before getting there at least.

What happened to arctic zone? Or other zones for that part. There is so much potential for a big sandbox open world with many mechanics like special suits for the cold.
One word: Progression. Giving the player a reason to keep playing. Something to explore.

i want zones far away, far far away, thats what gives a good feeling of exploration.

Comments

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited September 2017
    The devs have been trying to make the ending optional and something that you can avoid if you want to. Even if there was no story there were still no plans to expand the map out farther than it is now before v1.0. There will be an expansion released sometime next year that should have some new biomes.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    Also you have to keep in mind that this game is handcrafted, as in not procedural generated. Arctic was scrapped for the final release, but for all we know it might make a comeback along with other areas as content updates, DLC or expansion packs. There is only so much they can create before they inevitably have to go into feature lockdown for the big "v1.0 Gold release". As such they had to delay or remove certain things.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    My concern would actually be players making the rocket to find out what happens - and completing the game - before being filled with regret and a desire to return.

IMHO, if you use the rocket your last saved game (i.e. the one before launch) should be left intact - rather than be deleted.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Arctic was never really in the game to begin with, except for veeeeeeery early on when the game was still in its budding stage. If they do implement it, it'll be in post-1.0 updates. Some in-development zones got watered down or cut because it was interfering with the way the devs wanted the story to progress and to avoid players skipping crucial story material, so there's that as well. I didn't expect a "story driven" game when I got this way back - I kinda figured it'd be like it just tosses you into the world and let you just do whatever. I'm not complaining about there being a story to follow, but seeing the world be limited because of it was a bit disappointing. Just a bit - the game's still thoroughly enjoyable regardless, and I wouldn't downvote it just because of a few things I disagree with~
  • NorthernBruceNorthernBruce Canada Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231544Members
    I hear ya QuillShot, like a good book or movie, I don't want it to end either!

Maybe there could be an alternate ending in a future DLC where the Sea Emperor juveniles use their telepathic abilities and request our assistance? Could even be assistance on another planet? There's a half moon shaped tech in the PCF that the PDF says was not used on this planet because of cost or it was prohibited or it was from an ancient civ. There's lots of room to zig instead of zag with the story line. We don't necessarily have to go home yet.
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    I've been procrastinating about doing the ending.. Is the problem for you guys is that it takes you out of the world? Or is it that you can't see a sequel coming out of it?
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Im fine with the ending, I just hope that it is like Terraria, and other games that make it so after the ending you can choose to play more, or not to play more.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    The problem with an arctic zone is, where would it be? It would be so weird, bizarre and out of place to have ice, let alone an entire biome of ice. The average water temperature is like 20ish~ degrees Celsius, and for seawater to freeze it would have to average -2 degrees celsius. It would just be completely unimmersive to have a sudden hard change from averages of 20 degrees to -2 degrees and lower. The map just isn't big enough and doesn't cater to that kind of thing.
    Precursor portals oughta do it
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited September 2017
    Precursor portals oughta do it

I saw somewhere deep in one of the trellos about the Arctic biome, that it did talk about using the precursor portals, which does rule out it being near the supposedly warmer playable area.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    I've been procrastinating about doing the ending.. Is the problem for you guys is that it takes you out of the world? Or is it that you can't see a sequel coming out of it?

For me the idea is that it makes you unable to keep playing after launch, (especially if it deletes your save) which could come as an unwanted surprise to new players. Some kind of notice that pops up in the PDA telling the player "by launching this ship you will be leaving the planet never to return be sure you are finished exploring before doing so." would solve the issue nicely, or just having the game make an auto save right before the player launches they can load back into afterward would be ideal.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Have unknown worlds really say the ending of the game deletes your save? That seems bizarre. The ending just needs to be like Minecraft. You kill the dragon but than you just pop up in the world and resume surviving, after the credits role.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Have unknown worlds really say the ending of the game deletes your save? That seems bizarre. The ending just needs to be like Minecraft. You kill the dragon but than you just pop up in the world and resume surviving, after the credits role.

Yeah, they'd be mad to leave it like that. Especially in game like this with base-building and all.

edited September 2017
    So, stoopid noob question:

Can you actually finish the game yet? I'm playing Experimental.

I finally felt aspirational enough to get myself cured today and turn off the gun. I coughed up all the rocket parts demanded by the Mobile Vehicle Bay. Then .....
    ....ziltch
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

I finally felt aspirational enough to get myself cured today and turn off the gun. I coughed up all the rocket parts demanded by the Mobile Vehicle Bay. Then .....
    ....ziltch

Not a stupid question. The devs have said you won't be able to... do that... until version 1.0.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Didn't they say the Arctic was likely shifted to DLC? Or was that not official? It'd be interesting if we could find/activate a cyclops-sized portal to warp to another part of the planet.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    It's on the list of ideas they might end up using for the expansion. Nothing confirmed yet.
    edited September 2017

....ziltch

Nope. The games ending isn't finished. They still have to finish the blast off animation, end credits and other bits. They haven't decided what to do with the player at the end. Either the rocket jumps to FTL, the player goes to sleep, or uses a wormhole. The sleep and wormhole potential endings, allow a more of a open end finish. So that the player can get screwed in a possible continued story. I'd personally be happy with a FTL ending. With a flash forward seeing the Auora's hulk being lifted back to orbit. With a joke ending on a billion dollar Alterra bill. Remember the PDA kept track of everything you used. With the player going F that, I'm going back. Giving a in universe reason why you load back into your bed.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2017
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

....ziltch

Nope. The games ending isn't finished. They still have to finish the blast off animation, end credits and other bits. They haven't decided what to do with the player at the end. Either the rocket jumps to FTL, the player goes to sleep, or uses a wormhole. The sleep and wormhole potential endings, allow a more of a open end finish. So that the player can get screwed in a possible continued story. I'd personally be happy with a FTL ending. With a flash forward seeing the Auora's hulk being lifted back to orbit. With a joke ending on a billion dollar Alterra bill. Remember the PDA kept track of everything you used. With the player going F that, I'm going back. Giving a in universe reason why you load back into your bed.

Which is why I'd be perfectly happy staying on this planet, my love for the ocean aside XD

"My bill is WHAT? Okay forget this." < Goes back to his ocean >

Of course as long as that AA platform is still disabled, that always runs the risk of someone coming to "rescue" you. Maybe hide out in the Lava Zones until they confirm there's no survivors and leave :P
    edited September 2017
    It be funny if your character could figure a way to re-enable the gun. So he keeps bill collectors away.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I hate the fact that what would have been great open-world survival game has been turned into a low-end on the rails "story" based game.

The gameplay is abysmal, the story is abysmal, the only good thing left is how it looks, but most of the coolest biomes, like the twisty bridges or the lily pads, have been cut, along with several creatures and a million other cool things.
  • t38t38 Join Date: 2017-09-26 Member: 233239Members
    edited September 2017
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I hate the fact that what would have been great open-world survival game has been turned into a low-end on the rails "story" based game.

The gameplay is abysmal, the story is abysmal, the only good thing left is how it looks, but most of the coolest biomes, like the twisty bridges or the lily pads, have been cut, along with several creatures and a million other cool things.
    Why is the gameplay abysmal? How do you know that twisty bridges and lily pads would have been cool biomes? Judging by the majority of players, the game is widely regarded as good.

• SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members

On the rails? Can you please elaborate on this for us?

The story from my experience, (and I've played nearly a thousand hours over various alphas) is pretty hands off, aside from some comlink messages you get from the radio and a few notifications by the PDA's V.I you're pretty much left to your own devices insofar as pursuing the storyline and how you go about it.

Most of the actual "story" is gained via reading found PDA's in various wrecks and the Degasi ruins, compared to the multiple cut scenes and heavy handed plots most games throw at you (Such as Mad Max or Rise of the Tomb Raider) this one seems pretty off the rails from what I've experienced. (You can pretty much ignore the story entirely if you so desire, and aside from needing to repair the Aurora's drive core so you can swim around without needing a rad suit and being on the island for the rendezvous there's not any plot forcing you to rush on accomplishing anything else.

My two cent's..

1st cent: I think it's good that the narrative structure is light-on enough to just let you enjoy this as a sandbox game.

2nd cent: I think it could benefit from a few incidental side-quests (of the kind you just stumble upon) that could serve up some more of narrative meat that many players really thrive on.
    edited September 2017
    t38 wrote: »
    Why is the gameplay absymal? How do you know that twisty bridges and lily pads would have been cool biomes? Judging by the majority of players, the game is widely regarded as good.

I know they would be cool because the concept art looks really, really cool. They both look bright and full of life, not like the depressing, gloomy caves the game steers you into. There are tons of awesome things that could have been done with those biomes, or indeed the existing ones, but, they just didn't.

As for gameplay.. it's hardly even present. The core of any game is to present a player with an obstacle. That can be another player, then environment, an AI enemy, whatever. We have those in subnautica of course. So on to the second thing: there needs to be something engaging, skill based, and suitably difficult you can do to get around or eliminate said obstacle. This is what subnautica is missing. The main obstacle is enemies. Now, what options do we have to deal with those? 99% of the time, it's just breeze past them, perhaps making some minor course changes once in a while to avoid getting too close. Which is lame, they may as well not be there. Because decoys and the like are 100% useless, that means that enemies can either be ignored, or, in cases where you MUST go near them, they become a frustrating annoyance that you pretty much have to just throw yourself at until by sheer luck you make it past. Or, you go through the incredibly boring and time consuming task of killing them with a knife, which doesn't work on, for instance, warpers, bringing you back to the previous method when faced with them camping something. Other obstacles, like depth or radiation, are just "get X item and you can ignore it".
    Silveressa wrote: »
    On the rails? Can you please elaborate on this for us?

It's on the rails mostly because the rest of the game is so bare-bones. I mean, sure, you can ignore the story, just like you can spend hours in any story based game pottering around the starting area or killing random enemies scattered around the map, but you're going to get bored pretty quickly (and in subnautica you can't even wander around shooting the random bandits/zombies/whatever).

A true open world game has a rich enough world that you can find tons and tons of stuff to do without the main story. What many open world/story combos, such as the fallout series do is scatter mini-stories, unrelated to the main one, throughout the world that you can complete for various rewards and just because they're a fun distraction from the main storyline. However, obviously there's not going to be someone hanging around 425B (or whatever it's called) who wants you to become their favorite superhero, or any settlements that need your help, or anything like that. Which is one of the reasons I don't think that this faceless lone survivor model works.

There's nothing tying you to the world. There's no random people around with personalities and backstories that make you want to save them, no sinister villain who's henious acts convince you that they must be stopped. There's just one guy who has a disease to save, and some people who are already long dead you can only read about, and who to be honest I don't give a biter's ass about based on their recordings. And why do we really even want to save our main character? In story based games where you're all alone, you usually have a voiced protagonist, who also has a backstory. That too serves to tie you to the world. You feel for them, you want them to win. But with our totally faceless main character, the game gives us no reason to care.

The only (minor spoiler) living character is the sea emperor, and while he/she/it/whatever could fill the role of something or someone that you, as the main character, must save, the dialog, such as it is, seems... not enough. It's not terrible, but if I'm going to get invested in a story to save just one character, it had better be a dammed compelling character.

The world feels empty, the gameplay is tedium at best, horrible chores at worst. It's just not a good game in it's current state. And the community that piles massive hate on anyone that criticizes it isn't helping matters.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Silveressa wrote: »
    And why do we really even want to save our main character? In story based games where you're all alone, you usually have a voiced protagonist, who also has a backstory. That too serves to tie you to the world. You feel for them, you want them to win. But with our totally faceless main character, the game gives us no reason to care.

That is a valid point, though I am reminded of Gordon Freeman from the Original Half Life games, he was more less mute with an equally shallow back story, though in that game there at least was about 20 mins or so of gameplay with the hero walking around the Black Mesa facility and interacting with NPC's and at least establishing the illusion he's a normal person with a likeable personality.

The game would of perhaps benefited some from a bit of gameplay onboard the Aurora pre crash, to make you at least care a little bit about the other alleged occupants. (Am I only one that finds it very creepy there's not a single hint of blood, bodies, or any remains of the crew?)

Just adding in some monologue for the main hero (Similar to Jason's from Far Cry 3) would go a long way towards making him feel more like a person and less like an automaton.

A cheap and easy way would be for the main hero to add his own personal journal entry notes next to scanned creatures and other pda entries, make him feel like more of a person and give us a way to relate to him and genuinely care about the guy.

That's an amazing idea. Unfortunately, it was a lot easier for Half Life as the base game has NPCs who spoke and the player interacted with. With Subnautica, that would be a whole 'nother ball of wax to add into the game.

BTW, the reason why there's no remains, beside wanting to keep the game rating as light as possible, is that they were all eaten.

And like Gordon Freeman, the Subnautica protagonist is mute, so having a voiceover at the start wouldn't quite fit a story that's so mute later on.

But here's my thoughts for how Subnautica could incorporate a simple startup similar to what Half Life did. Unfortunately, even if UWE liked it, I don't think there's enough time to incorporate in the start.

Like the current very short start scene, there's no player control; it all just happens. Have the player character start off in their cabin on the Aurora. Have then pick up their PDA and play a video of a meeting that took place earlier. Have them skip in the PDA to other info screens. Between these, you'll get an idea for what's happening on the Aurora, while still having a bit of mystery about how the player's character fits it.

Then there's a PA announcement that the Aurora is coming to its closest approach of 4546B. And then something goes wrong and alarms start ringing. Then the abandon ship announcement starts. The player character gets up and goes down a corridor into the lifepod bay and into their lifepod. From this point, the current sequence starts.
  • t38t38 Join Date: 2017-09-26 Member: 233239Members

A true open world game has a rich enough world that you can find tons and tons of stuff to do without the main story. What many open world/story combos, such as the fallout series do is scatter mini-stories, unrelated to the main one, throughout the world that you can complete for various rewards and just because they're a fun distraction from the main storyline. However, obviously there's not going to be someone hanging around 425B (or whatever it's called) who wants you to become their favorite superhero, or any settlements that need your help, or anything like that. Which is one of the reasons I don't think that this faceless lone survivor model works.

There's nothing tying you to the world. There's no random people around with personalities and backstories that make you want to save them, no sinister villain who's henious acts convince you that they must be stopped. There's just one guy who has a disease to save, and some people who are already long dead you can only read about, and who to be honest I don't give a biter's ass about based on their recordings. And why do we really even want to save our main character? In story based games where you're all alone, you usually have a voiced protagonist, who also has a backstory. That too serves to tie you to the world. You feel for them, you want them to win. But with our totally faceless main character, the game gives us no reason to care.
    I spent hundreds of hours in the wasteland of the Fallout series and even though Subnautica is missing pretty much all of the things you mention i can enjoy it anyway. I can immerse in this ocean world and do not need npcs, sidequests or plenty of background story. I am alone on this planet and i have to survive in a hostile environment. It works fine for me.
    The world feels empty, the gameplay is tedium at best, horrible chores at worst. It's just not a good game in it's current state. And the community that piles massive hate on anyone that criticizes it isn't helping matters.
    So the question if it is a good game or not is just a matter of taste, isn't it? There are certain things that you do expect from a game that calls itself open world and Subnautica does not measure up to these expectations. What shall we do?

edited September 2017
    I am alone on this planet and i have to survive in a hostile environment. It works fine for me.

I'm curious as to your experience as far as the "survival" aspects of the game go. For me, if I looked at this as a survival game, I'd say that once I'd built an aquarium I've won it. Stick some airsacks and any food fish in there and you have food and water forever. The plants just make it even easier. Since you don't have to defend yourself from attacking mobs, I'm not really sure what you'd be doing after reaching this point as far as survival goes, which, at a generous estimate, takes a few hours for a player with a modest understanding of how the game works.

In actuality, the environment is anything but hostile. Most small lifeforms are edible, predators don't actively seek you out really, the water is warm and calm, and everything is an incredibly bad swimmer, making it easy to both hunt and avoid being hunted. If I'm just playing to survive, the game is about as hard and engaging as cookie clicker for me. Every item is a "win more" and losing isn't a real possibility.

As planets go, this one makes earth look like an ultra-hostile hellhole. I mean, consider what an alien who knew nothing about earth would have to deal with if they were surviving on a coral reef like the "safe shallows". Poisonous fish, storms that can turn you into a pancake against a rock, coral and barnacles that are worse than legos on your feet by far, predators that can swim faster than a human can run, and those are just the things off the top of my non-marine-biologist head.

I mean, building is in the game of course, but it's not fleshed out enough to get by on just building and survival. I just don't have enough to do, so I get bored fast. It just doesn't seem like there's nearly enough there to make an enjoyable survival/building game.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I am alone on this planet and i have to survive in a hostile environment. It works fine for me.

I mean, building is in the game of course, but it's not fleshed out enough to get by on just building and survival. I just don't have enough to do, so I get bored fast. It just doesn't seem like there's nearly enough there to make an enjoyable survival/building game.

Ok, then play something else, and come back to it. It's what I do when I get bored of a game.