How do we want to save (Do we want autosave)?

2»

Comments

• Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    This is pretty much the best way to discourage save scumming. Yes, it is still doable with autosave, but it's harder and many players won't do it once they have to actually mess with save files.

This is the planned method and I doubt the devs will change it.
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    You should only be able to save while inside your base(s) so every excursion outside is a risk, something to overcome and survive.
    If you are able to save anywhere, every single bit of tension in the game is removed. So keep saving limited to when your character is "safe" inside the base.

On one hand, I agree with the idea of saving only in "safe" spaces. On the other hand, most of my saves are due to the fact that my system tends to crash randomly. So I tend to save frequently when I'm nowhere near a base just so I don't lose the previous ten minutes of progress. I'd probably quit playing if I knew I might waste an hour exploring some area only to have it all thrown out by a system crash. I like the F5 idea for sure.

I don't like the idea of a forced save on exit. As someone else mentioned, there are plenty of times when a bug causes a problem and the only solution is to exit and try again. If you saved on exit you'd just restart to find yourself stuck in the same wall you were stuck in when you left.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Implement auto-save on safe space entry AND exit, however, also leave manual saves in for the time being (and keep them separate, so you can load the autosave or the manual save).
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I feel a bit bad about resurrecting this. But I was building near the deep-grand reef degassi base and a bug caused it to entirely vanish.

If we were forced to autosave the bug would be a disaster.

Whereas currently I was able to just quit and reload.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited September 2017
    Avimimus wrote: »
    I feel a bit bad about resurrecting this. But I was building near the deep-grand reef degassi base and a bug caused it to entirely vanish.

If we were forced to autosave the bug would be a disaster.

Whereas currently I was able to just quit and reload.

That is actually a good point. Something like that happened to me years ago in a Skyrim game. I went into this super hard area and the game saved right before I got dealt a final blow, and I couldn't get out of this area by any means possible, to my knowledge. So I would either just die over and over again, or get lucky and escape, but would just get lost with nothing else to do but die...

As for your vanished base, it is possible that if your save was created before the Cuddle Fish update, then maybe that area could have gotten updated in the process, causing your base to disappear.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    I will never understand why other people want to force how others play a single player game. If someone wants to savescum, that's their business and it certainly won't hurt my game. Let them "make it easy" if that's what they want. Let them goof off and revert if that's what they want. If that's how they have fun, I don't see an issue with it.

As for me, I just want an option to manual save, and contorl over the autosave is not a must, but it would be nice. I always use both in all my games, especially when there's base building. If I don't like my layout, I revert back to my last manual save so I can try something different. It's way easier than juggling resources while tearing it all down again, and it makes building so much more easier and fun for me.

I rarely die in this game anymore and if I do, I don't care about losing whatever little trinkets I had picked up. Losing the Seamoth or Cyclops? Easy to rebuild, don't care, even if they have stuff in their inventory. Please don't make me hate building because someone else wants to control how I save. ._.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I want to be able to save whenever I want, as well as turn on autosave. I also do not want to remove the "Quit to Desktop" one because I use it all the time.
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    Just auto Save when ever you exit the game and the manual save when ever
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited September 2017
    Everything. Auto save when quitting game, auto save for people who want to do it in vehicles/bases (toggle-able option). Manual save. I want quick save and quick load implemented. Rename saves, multiple saves, edit save game mode, etc. Basically like in older games. Auto saving only is dangerous. Especially when docking ships into the Cyclops. Which has a small chance of bugging out. And putting the sub 1600 meters down in the floor.
    This is pretty much the best way to discourage save scumming.

And why does this matter to you? Play the game the way you want. I'll play the game the way I want. That's what Hardcore mode is for. I'm just gonna enable the dev console and give back the stuff I lost. If every mode is forced with auto save only. You think I trust games when to save, over my judgment. Especially if I get instant killed by a enemy. The size of a 10 story building that can magically sneak up to me. With no proximity warnings of any kind, built into the suit HUD. Or the fact you have to wait till you're in the mouth of a Leviathan for the defense system on a seamoth to actually work. Or a bug that causes my Cyclops to get stuck because it didn't like how I placed objects inside it. Or the chance any time you dock a Seamoth/Pawn suit in the cyclops. Throwing the vehicle into the void. Or when your character gets stuck on ladder animation. Or the fact the air tanks don't tell us if they're full or not. Or that the oxygen warning sound can fail to warn you at 30 seconds. Or when the map fails to load. So I have to restart due to me going in the void. Manual saving has saved me from really bad game breaking bugs. Not every bug here will be eliminated when the game releases 1.0. If ever. I love Subnautica for the building aspect of the game, and the story. Not dying because of the game screwing me with bugs. Or contrived limitations. If I die because I over extended myself in a cave. I watch the black screen. If I die because "30 seconds" didn't trigger. I'm sure as heck reloading my save file.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    As for your vanished base, it is possible that if your save was created before the Cuddle Fish update, then maybe that area could have gotten updated in the process, causing your base to disappear.

To be clear: It wasn't my base that vanished, it was the ruined Degassi base that vanished (right in front of my eyes).
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited September 2017
    I find what XCOM 2 has for autosave is good. It has a rotating triplet of autosave games for which at times it overwrites the oldest. Manual saves are separate and are only overwritten manually.
    It wasn't my base that vanished, it was the ruined Degassi base that vanished (right in front of my eyes).
    Hmmm. Perhaps Planet 4546B is in Tholian Space. Things could get tense.
  • londonsmartlondonsmart anderson south carolina Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230782Members
    ddfeffcfcdee2w3rfrdrdrfrefe33errf
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited September 2017
    ddfeffcfcdee2w3rfrdrdrfrefe33errf

Quick, someone get a doctor! This person is having a seizure!
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    Hi there. My own 2 cents:

1. Give a variety of options including autosave. But limit the choice to 1 type for each game mode. This would enhance re-playability which is of course very desirable for a commercially successful game.
    2. For advanced game modes I'd pitch for a player-built save point. It would be a habitat structure. This would encourage deep base building (something still we're lacking of in game-driven motive to do)

Cheers.