I actively attempted to fling myself as far as possible

FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
To do this, I sat in a cyclops while in creative, and spawned various creatures and varying amounts of them to get as much distance and airtime as possible

What I ended up landing on is 40 sea dragons.

For the first 2 minutes, I just flew at incredible speeds at a perfect 45 degree angle. I'm sure I cleared the entire world map in the first 5 seconds.
bhlva2uakvyb.png

eo8kuif8qxzb.png

By the time I reached 20 kilometers, my hands and the entire UI began shaking violently and glitching out
rhie2acjbwj5.png

Around 50 kilometers, I started to return to the surface of the planet, the world beneath me visually glitched
kakab0body37.png

I finally hit the water and skid across the surface for a bit, finally coming to a stop at 52,959 meters away from the lifepod.
lijc2lopb1np.png

rfh6bs5cqkfr.png

I would have built a seamoth at this point and plummeted into the depths to see what would happen, but I doubted that I would even be able to enter it, and my thalassophobia kicked in and I had to get out of there :x

I'll continue my experiments to test the limits of the game, and the unity engine

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    That actually is really impressive.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    ... how did you accomplish this?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    You discovered Subnautica's "Far Lands" it seems. Would be interesting to see what that'd do to the map if it was still a procederally generated world :lol:
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    The glitches.

They're amazing.

I don't even know how that happens.

But holy crap thats awesome.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    Any chance you can hook us up with some vids though, I mean screenshots and a flight log are all fine and dandy, but you know... Videos rule, timelapse that baby up \o/
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    There should be an achievement for this.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Any chance you can hook us up with some vids though, I mean screenshots and a flight log are all fine and dandy, but you know... Videos rule, timelapse that baby up \o/

I might get OBS and go through the process again, I'm pretty sure my computer could render 1080p video and play the game at medium settings

If I do that I'll definitely upload a version with the ducktales moon theme, when I did this the first time that's the first thing I heard in my head lol
    elfcrisis wrote: »

There's some weird glitch where if you're inside a cyclops or lifepod and spawn a massive amount of something, you can get flung from the inside at breakneck speed. The first flight was accomplished with 40 seadragons, the second flight was accomplished with I think 60. I tried spawning up to 100, but out of the 10 times I tried it just flung the cyclops and left me stranded in the safe shallows with dozens of pissed off glitchy sea dragons lol.
    edited September 2017
    First test video is up, no luck yet. The first time I tried this stuff I managed to do it about 3 times out of 10, I've done it probably 20 times so far and haven't been flung yet.

One thing I've discovered is that there's 3 possible outcomes to spawning a massive amount of large creatures while in a cyclops:

1. You get ejected from the water at incredible speeds and just fly and fly and fly because the game has weird gravity
    2. You get ejected downward into the ground, and if you're going fast enough you'll clip through the ground and keep going a good ways
    3. The most common thing that happens is you get stuck in place or simply slung a short distance as the cyclops frantically flies away. If you're still in the "driving" state, you're technically still in the cyclops despite your camera and player model being stuck in place. Pressing e teleports you back into the cyclops.

Edit: I achieved flight, now I just have to cut the video and upload it (very slow internet)
    edited September 2017
    Here's footage of one launch in full (5 minutes)

And here's footage of ocean boy becoming a space boy

Also I eventually realized that you can launch from pretty much anywhere, being in a cyclops just makes it harder but seems to launch you much further when it succeeds.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I have never seen someone so impatient for the rocket ship that they tried to find "alternate transportation" off world.

Seriously, dude! Cure yourself first! Don't infect the entire galaxy because you can't wait!! :)

"Don't mind me, I'm just walking into space for a bit, catch you later" -Subnautica Fluffers, the escape!
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Do Ghost Leviathans come after you out there? I'd have thought so, as it's the void biome. Unless it isn't and it's just a biomeless pit.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Do Ghost Leviathans come after you out there? I'd have thought so, as it's the void biome. Unless it isn't and it's just a biomeless pit.

It seems to be a "biomeles pit", I don't think the game functions entirely correctly that far outside of the playable world as shown by the way the water at night is entirely pitch black and the fact that your UI becomes a glitchy mess.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    It's pretty cool seeing the game glitch out by just going too far.
  • londonsmartlondonsmart anderson south carolina Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230782Members
    Fluffers wrote: »

it just flung the cyclops and left me stranded in the safe shallows with dozens of pissed off glitchy sea dragons lol.

that made me laugh for a good two minutes
  • Zamar037Zamar037 BC, Canada Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213178Members
    Last year in October, I accidentally flung myself when repeatedly using the prawn's grappling hook on a biter Picture Here and Thread Here

I discovered two things, you fall at terminal velocity inside the Prawn Suit and fall at around running speeds outside of it (I accidentally pressed the exit button). When I finally hit the water, I cheated in a Cyclops and decided to drive back to my base. Five or six hours later, I finally arrived back at my base

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Fluffers wrote: »
    elfcrisis wrote: »

There's some weird glitch where if you're inside a cyclops or lifepod and spawn a massive amount of something, you can get flung from the inside at breakneck speed. The first flight was accomplished with 40 seadragons, the second flight was accomplished with I think 60. I tried spawning up to 100, but out of the 10 times I tried it just flung the cyclops and left me stranded in the safe shallows with dozens of pissed off glitchy sea dragons lol.

That is /awesome/.