Oh God Still Screaming

KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
So I get it in my mind that I should collect some scans of creatures, and decide that I'm going to take a brief trip to the void and scan one og the ghost leviathans there. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? I die, I reload, everything's fine.

..... have I mentioned that I have a deathly fear of voids? If I can't see up, or can't see down, I get scared quick. If I can't see up *or* down, I get panicky. And if I'm somewhere like, oh, the Void, where I can't see *anything*? It's pants-wettingly *HORRIFYING*!

.... and that's when the first ghost leviathan spawned, and it really sank in not only how big they are, but how terrifying they look. And the sounds! Oh God, the *SOUNDS*! And of course, because the longer you're there, the more of them spawn, I had *three* around me by the time my shaking hands scrambled for the reload button.

The worst part of it? Apparently ghost leviathans are unscannable. At least the ones in the void are. Or if they *are* scannable, their hitbox is so tiny as to be invisible. So in other words, I scared myself literally to the point of nausea..... for nothing at all.

This game, Man. The things it makes me do.

Comments

• HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    edited August 2017
    as a "fearless" person my self this game has made me a total bitch even without that being in the xbox build. still from time to time i whimper and i never liked venturing into the void. Any other iterations of oceanic survival like narcosis and some parts of Ark pretty much do them in our sleep. in fairness took me a little while prepare for the oceans of Ark but even prehsitoric aquatic dinos are goldfish compared to those monsters in subnautica's situation.

only relief i ever got was stop trying to conquer/defeat them and simply coexist --avoid being within mauling distance
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited August 2017
    I built a base that projects a viewing gallery out into the void... the player is protected in the base but the Leviathans spawn - I get four of them swimming around my glass tube.

Being safe doesn't make me not freak out.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I've been considering several 'viewing bases' in my game, actually, if I can find enough materials (I play in survival). I I already have plans for one right smack in the middle of a reaper spawn area and one in the mushroom forest with a big spotlight for jellyrays. Maybe I should consider one at the edge of the void so I can watch the ghost leviathans.

.... and proceed to use it once before probably crying uncontrollably, running away, and never returning. EVER!

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Yeah, I don't know if it's intentional or not but only the Ghost Leviathans on the main area are scannable.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    their are two of them the adult around the grand reef and the Juvenal in lost river try loading the repulser cannon with a cyclops decoy and launching it away from you then use the stasis rifle or try using your self as bait and shoot it in the face when it charges you, using yourself as bait is terrifying
    make sure you hit it again at full charge with the stasis rifle or you may not have enough time to scan it then again so you can get away
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    If you freak out at Ghost leviathans than you might listen to the new Warper sound. Or better not, because the sound is the most terrifying. You hear something like shrieking steelsaw noises, turn around and see ... nothing, repeat a few times until you see the Warper.

They were almost noiseless in the past, yet when you heard them you could expect an attack soon, therefore it made sense to react and stay calm.

But now their sound going through your bones reaches you when they are still out of reach. So you can't just keep cool and flee, because you couldn't do anything then. So their big terrifying sound rage now actually makes you crazy while you have something to do, yet not seeing them, but knowing you can't risk them striking too much.

This shows how superior terror is if you can hear an enemy far before you can spot him. Thus making it impossible to stay cool and be forced to get the creeps, as you never know if he's close or still far away.

If you can hear an enemy in sight range only or when he attacks, it's far less fearsome, as you can keep cool and can react. If your enemy is silent it can be fearsome too, but without sound you can't get as nervous as with noise.

The leviathans unluckily have a too close sound range. For their size and speed to terrorize with sound, they would have to be heard 400m in advance and thus cover far too much of the map. Yet it would be worth for the increased terror.

Just try and remember the "new" Warper to feel the effect.
    once you get cured they leave you alone tho trying to scan the Ghost leviathan is a intimidating challenge
    edited August 2017
    zetachron wrote: »
    If you freak out at Ghost leviathans than you might listen to the new Warper sound. Or better not, because the sound is the most terrifying. You hear something like shrieking steelsaw noises, turn around and see ... nothing, repeat a few times until you see the Warper.

They were almost noiseless in the past, yet when you heard them you could expect an attack soon, therefore it made sense to react and stay calm.

Oh, yes! The warper sounds are terrifying as well! Fortunately at the moment in my game, they are neutral to me (I'm assuming because I haven't 'discovered' the infection as of yet). They make terrifying sounds, but they hover nearby, just..... staring. And then warp out without ever touching me.

You know, it's weird: that's actually even scarier, in a way, than knowing they're planning to attack me. Not knowing why they just stare creepily that way, and wondering if they're going to come after me.

Reaper Leviathan roars have always been scary, in that by the time you hear them, you know they're after you and you need to run like hell. And while they're still terrifying, they have *nothing* on the screams of the Ghost Leviathans and the metallic screeches of the Warpers. Makes me want to go back to the nice safe bellowing roars of the stalkers!
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    They're working on the encyclopedia entries. I also had an encounter. I was going into the bone fields, And suddenly saw one. Seriously, I was scared to death.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Thank you for the awesome tip to head out to the void to catch my first view of the Ghost. So cool! And yeah, they are BIG!! And fast! Thanks again!
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know if it's intentional or not but only the Ghost Leviathans on the main area are scannable.

Why would you go to the void to scan a ghost leviathan ?
    Also yes it's intentional cuz these ones are programmed to spawn and don't have the scan option as far as i saw from the devs checkins
    adel_50 wrote: »

Because it's the easiest and quickest place to guarantee finding one without also having to worry about drowning. :)
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    Heh, to the guy who commented about watching Leviathans from the safety of his base. Yeah...for now buddy!

Just wait till they get smart enough to open that multipurpose room like you would a can of tuna :D
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    ZeddIsDead wrote: »
    Heh, to the guy who commented about watching Leviathans from the safety of his base. Yeah...for now buddy!

Just wait till they get smart enough to open that multipurpose room like you would a can of tuna :D

If they can't open a Cyclops making no noise with engines off, they won't be able to open a silent base too. Sorry, it's the way the devs implemented the detection rules.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I didn't realize the Ghost Leviathan in the Grand Reef was an adult. There are a couple in the Lost River, but they're juveniles and their encyclopedia entry reflects that. I figured I'd have to go into the Void the scan an adult and I was not about to do that.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Kurasu wrote: »

Because it's the easiest and quickest place to guarantee finding one without also having to worry about drowning. :)

1-i don't think you can scan them but I could be wrong

2-good luck surviving multiple ghosts cuz every 10 seconds a new one spawns
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    And yeah, the new Warper sounds are awesome. And by awesome I mean terrifying. Before, all you heard was the sound of the warp. Now they have their own sound and I could swear I hear them muttering in their machine-language sometimes. x.x
  • londonsmartlondonsmart anderson south carolina Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230782Members
    I've been considering several 'viewing bases' in my game, actually, if I can find enough materials (I play in survival). I I already have plans for one right smack in the middle of a reaper spawn area and one in the mushroom forest with a big spotlight for jellyrays. Maybe I should consider one at the edge of the void so I can watch the ghost leviathans.

.... and proceed to use it once before probably crying uncontrollably, running away, and never returning. EVER!

you know they said ghost leviathans spawn in the mushroom something
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members

you know they said ghost leviathans spawn in the mushroom something

No... No they don't.
    1-i don't think you can scan them but I could be wrong

To quote myself:
    The worst part of it? Apparently ghost leviathans are unscannable. At least the ones in the void are.

I didn't know this when I tried the first time, and thus why I tried. I haven't yet come across the one in the reef (and after having seen them in the void, I'm fine with that fact!). I assumed they'd be scannable. Alas, no easy way out there; I'll have to find one of the static spawns to complete my collection. :P

They definitely don't spawn in the mushroom forest. My present main base is in the crash zone, right above the mushrooms (I wanted easy access to both the Aurora and to Lithium), and not seen a single one.
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    edited September 2017
    Reasons Why I Hate the Void
    1. Pitch Black
    2. No Bottom
    3. Ghost Leviathan
    4. No Wifi