Thermometer

gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
was the thermometer removed from the game? we used to be able to craft them with the fabricator? atm i only have the prawn and the seamoth for a thermometer

cj7tvtxl3aoo.jpg

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Yes. It appears it was removed on 7/18/2017 and build 50882. It looks like the temperature always displays in the Exosuit / Seamoth. See below:

596e4c927409ef0a795fb8dc /main 50882 Andreas Urwalek removed thermometers, temperature display is now always visible while inside exosuit / seamoth 2017-07-18 17:59:46

• HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Possibly removed because they were pointless.

You need heat for the thermal plant. But you don't need a thermometer to tell you that it's hot enough eg. near volcanos and thermal vents, and not in most other places.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited September 2017
    The Thermal Plant also has indicators of where to place it at in experimental now, which makes thermometers even less needed.
  • LorebotLorebot Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232304Members
    I would have rather them add the thermometer display to the compass HUD upgrade instead of just removing it entirely. It was useful for picking a base location before having access to the vehicles or the ability to build the thermal reactor because it helped you ensure you had good heat nearby.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I agree with @Lorebot

It also helps determine whether you can get out of a vehicle without taking environmental damage. Definitely not a high priority piece of equipment, but I don't find it useless.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I agree with @Lorebot

It also helps determine whether you can get out of a vehicle without taking environmental damage. Definitely not a high priority piece of equipment, but I don't find it useless.

It's part of all vehicle HUDs now.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    As of the most recent Experimental save, the Thermometer is still part of the basic survival blueprint, and the Compass is found in a Databox. So it looks like they can still be made and used like before, to give the respective HUD even outside of vehicles.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    I agree with @Lorebot

thing is its no-longer listed in wiki nor does it say it has been removed
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I think it was removed to make it more dangerous near volcanos and other heat sources. Now you get no heat warning and can die if you get too close without even knowing.

On the other side the vehicles and thermal plants now get the thermometer. Yet the Cyclops still has none. Right with the Ghost update you are in limbo, as the old thermometer is gone and the thermal plants and the Cyclops have no replacement. So heat recharging needs a vehicle near.

Is it good? My opinion: WTF? It's an annoyance and should be integrated into the compass. I never used this thing and always the thermometer instead. But the devs can be stubborn, as you can see with the tiny Cyclops lockers.

I think the theory behind those exact displays taken out of a game is used in games where they eliminated the health bar and replaced it with bloody sight if you get hit. The dummy theory is that in real life there is no integrated bar. The real effect is that without an exact bar the player can't test the limits, forcing the player to be even more careful and fearsome than with an exact value bar.

I'm glad the devs don't eliminate health, drink and food bars that way. Fingers crossed.

Did I already say that in real life you can easily wear a thermometer display for diving? No? Think of it!

Do I need to tell someone that the Cyclops has no resource scanner? Well, it might be OP, but WTF doesn't the Cyclops have no thermometer?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    I agree with @Lorebot

thing is its no-longer listed in wiki nor does it say it has been removed

The Wiki is maintained by volunteers like you and me who play the game. For an early access game that is often in a state of rapid change, the Wiki just can't keep up. Similarly, with this being an early access game, tons of stuff changes without any warning from the developers. The thermometer is one of the more trivial changes, in my opinion. The more significant change that impacted me was the Radiation Suit.

1. At one point, you could craft this immediately without finding a blueprint.
    2. Then, they changed it to require a blueprint you found at a nearby wreck.
    3. Then, they changed it back to letting you craft it immediaely.
    4. Currently, you can't craft it until the Aurora explodes.

So, I played one game where I had to find it in a nearby wreck (time line 2) Then, they changed it so it was immediately craftable (time line 3). I started a new game and then scoured the map looking for the blueprint before realizing I could craft it from the start. LOL.

• ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    Annoying right?

At least heat isn't all that damaging though, especially once you upgrade your dive suit :D
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Yeah, I was concerned about the removal of the thermometer, too, but eventually I realized a couple of things...

Since they made heat damage so much less than it used to be, you can get a little scorched as a warning and have enough time to back away, so it's less of a problem than I thought it would be.

There are only a couple of instances where you can be damaged by heat while wearing a Reinforced Dive Suit:
    When you get near the bottom of a geyser-type heat source, and when you're /under/ the Active Lava Zone, on your way to the PCF (The Super-Active Lava Zone?). Basically, only places where it gets over 70C+.

My policy has become to just not go near heat sources until I've repaired the Aurora's drives and have the Reinforced suit.

(I don't use a Stillsuit anymore because it's too annoying having the water things take up space in my inventory.)