Do the events in Subnautica take place on a floating platform?

2»

Comments

• Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    It's actually a giant Reefback:

Unity_2017-01-14_13-36-19.jpg

Muhaha, that might even explain the lava caves and the acid lost river ...

I het the acid caves, but how the lava? And what are the thermal vents then?

let me try...

There is an alien power plant "underground" that have tremendous energy output and has experienced malfunction and meltdown...
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YES Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Members

Poor Reefback... The precursors were digging in it's skin just to build something :'( Maybe all the lava is just blood of that poor thing warmed up by his gigantic body? Who knows... well... the developers.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    Floaters or Reefbacks, whatever it is, something that big could not be powered by the same biological processes we do.
    The best guess i have is that they have either a partially, or a fully silicon based biology, and that they generate heat from nuclear energy in some way.
    It/they probably have an internal mechanism that converts Tons upon Tons of ocean water; separating the hydrogen through electrolysis, then using some bizarre biological mechanism to induce fusion and live upon the heat and radiation (and maybe the helium).
    Unless you want to go the other route and just say the planet has giant, whale-sized krill swimming in its oceans, dwarfing any on earth in numbers. Still wouldn't solve how their biology could support that massive size though.
    My bet's on nuclear energy. Explains all the Uranite crystals at least. That, or some form of cold-fusion.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    Of course there could be a solution: The Precursors could use ion crystals to melt rock or ... some other crazy idea.

One problem: The ion crystals are charged from the lava in the precursor thermal plant. That would create a circular energy loop akin to a perpetual motion machine.

• Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Hiw does the floating island stay with the reefback?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017

It orbits?

I'm more concerned about all that water, you try and move a bucket of water filled to the brim :D
    - Obviously this Reefback is a ninja!
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Mr_Endar wrote: »

Muhaha, that might even explain the lava caves and the acid lost river ...

I het the acid caves, but how the lava? And what are the thermal vents then?

let me try...

There is an alien power plant "underground" that have tremendous energy output and has experienced malfunction and meltdown...

There is a thermal vent on one of the floating islands.

That always bothers me.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members

It is either caught in the wake of the landmass, Or it's moving to slow to be noticeable, if at all.
    Avimimus wrote: »

There is a thermal vent on one of the floating islands.

That always bothers me.

That could be explained as the Floaters producing an excessive amount of heat as part of their biology.
    And apparently the floating island has a pretty high temperature. Which could also be because of the Floaters.

Floaters are everywhere.
    Everywhere you look. Floaters
    Floaters, Floaters everywhere.
    Floaters.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    The big obstacle however is the Lava zone. Where should the lava come from then?

Maybe it's just a huge pocket of trapped heat.
    Kouji_San wrote: »

It orbits?
    i dont think that's quite how gravity works

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members

CALLED IT!
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members

this is canon
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017

It orbits?

I know, but since we're on a Reefback's back... I think we can throw everything we know about physics out dat window o/

It orbits?

I know, but since we're on a Reefback's back... I think we can throw everything we know about physics out dat window o/

Or the Reefback's stationary? Or very very slow, and in a few hundred years the floater island has only moved from one side of the map to the other?
    Jamezorg wrote: »

It orbits?

Or the Reefback's stationary? Or very very slow, and in a few hundred years the floater island has only moved from one side of the map to the other?

Maybe the Reefback is orbiting the floating island \o/
    Jamezorg wrote: »

It orbits?

Maybe the Reefback is orbiting the floating island \o/

Or the Reefback is like a moth and the island is the light it's drawn to.