ns2_mesh (used to be called docking2)

12346»

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Bicsum

1. I knew of this for weeks already just forgot to fix it everytime XD
    2. Well this happens on every map that uses glass like that (biodome for example). Unfortunately I am at a stage where I can't easily revert this anymore so I guess people need to get used to it (in opposition of most maps the glass should be built in a way that skulks can't clip through and lerk wings are huge without collision boxes, they have to be careful on multiple areas on most map so that won't happen)
    3. @Kasharic I think he is talking about the railings and not the mini pillars that got removed. I guess I can remove them since they don't rly offer cover aswell, either that or I make them so they do offer cover but atm I think the room in itself plays good enough to not need the extra cover in the inner circle.
    4. I like the idea of using a grating. Will probably do this
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, I mean these:
    XU02W3u.jpg

It gets too clustered with PVE around the RT.

About the lerk wing clipping: Not that it makes much of a difference, but the lerks wing was visible through a wall, not the glass. He was gliding next to it while waiting for the engagement. I guess it was in the corner above the left red circle.
    I can't think of any other spot on any map where you'd have to be careful to not stick out on the other side. Then again, I'm never lerking.

However, imo you should make the walls thicker, because the players trust that they don't clip through walls and if they do and they'll be unnecessarily frustated.

• antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    edited April 2017
    nothing to read here, carry on

edit: I wanted to report a spot where comms can build stuff in the walls but I'm not sure which place it was, gonna check it tonite
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    edited April 2017
    Here's it is: structures can be dropped through the grating (grating not showing as comm apparently).
    I remember having to bite an obs in this position, but because it was pretty much embedded in the wall, I couldn't damage it until I found a specific angle.
    clnlj4j88sqk.jpg
    So I went through some Wonitor Data (actually every wonitor I had access to) to check the spawn and map balance since the last big update on 7th March 2017. I quickly summarised the wins by spawns in 2 tables below. I have seperated competitive and public games due to mesh actually being aimed at the competitive community.
    206e1c333c.png

So appearently security spawn is way too strong for aliens atm. I assume it is due to the short distance to Flooded and Generator and with a reinforced Gorge Tunnel in Pipe Maintenance Generator is pretty save to claim as second hive early.

My idea to deal with that is to move Flooded further towards cooling and replacing cooling with something else.

If anyone has other ideas feel free to post them here
    So as in the post above I have implemented the changes now so here you have it

update changelog 18.08.2017:

- moved flooded closer towards the center of the map
    - redesigned all connections towards flooded
    191d6ea596.jpg
    037e8ec3b0.jpg
    b416597efe.jpg
    - moved the RT in security
    - changed the security vent
    - changed the generator vent

minimap
    bb20c758d7.jpg
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aside from individuals going around trying to make Derelict, Kodiak and Eclipse a bit more viable, this map project excites me just as much, if not more. A+ keep up the great work.
    I don't trust this guy... or URL...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I don't trust this guy... or URL...

Yeah, but compared to other bots or shills he at least manages to make tangentially relevant posts.
    edited October 2017
    Yes we are not dead yet and to show this we have a small update on friday the 13th October 2017

- removed underpass vents in security
    - opened some holes in the security windows
    - raised vent entrance in platform
    - moved platform powernode
    - removed the bottom right side of platform as playable area
    - reduced ceiling height in coffee
    - connected the coffee bar to the ceiling
    - moved techpoint, RT and powernode in hangar
    - the old RT area is closed off in hangar
    - reduced ceiling height in garage
    - moved transit techpoint further in the room
    - removed clutter around transit RT
    - changed the RT area in pipe maintenance and changed the lighting
    So with all the other maps in development and having lots of active mappers lately I thought it would be an amazing time to give a little update on this map

The map is officially abandoned.

tombstone-159792__340.png

It is not finished but I will stop working on it or maintaining it.

I will leave it on the workshop for people to play with it though.

I won't stop mapping though. I decided to move on to other mapping projects in ns2.

@Vetinari that means the central update you are waiting for will never come *insert evil laugh here*
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    SAD VIOLIN SONG PLZ

Seriously tho, maybe it's a good thing to come back later to the map. Give it a few months, maybe you'll get some new ideas.
    It is played on some servers after all.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Vetinari that means the central update you are waiting for will never come *insert evil laugh here*

D:

Any specific reason why? This comes rather unexpected.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    Vetinari wrote: »

D:

The whole map from start to finish was just a giant troll to get you wanting the central update, and now you want it, bam, outta here..*

*of course this may be an entirely fictitious reasoning which I made up on the spot...

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Vetinari wrote: »

D:

I'd assume burn out... he's been working on the same map for years and its still in layout testing... The longest I've worked on a maps layout was trash... and that was about 10 - 11 months I believe.

Working for years on the same map would kill me.
    edited November 2017
    tbh I considered the layout almost done. The only thing that was needed to improve was how the routes in and through the center of the map works but apart from that it worked pretty well imo.

Anyway I noticed when building the map I had to force myself to continue on it which lead to single rooms taking up to 2 weeks (sometimes longer) while I can build better quality rooms on other maps in like 3-4 days, which also was way more fun to do.

So for mesh I reached a point where I had a hard time enjoying to map on it.
    I understand that.

Still took me by surprise, though.