Scanner room listings

JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
So the scanner room can only display 10 items in its list, but lacks an obvious way to scroll it. I can't see stalker teeth, sandstone, or anything with a name higher than L.
vROk4Gs.png
How do I search for other items?

Comments

• LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    edited August 2017
    Report it as a bug. It is a known issue but if more people report it the devs might fix it before release.

In fact I think I'll post in Bug Reporting, I can't find a bug anywhere on Trello for it.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    It's been this way for a very long time. and likely won't be changed before the 1.0 release. In my opinion, it makes the Scanner Room pretty much useless. This is really too bad since I found the Scanner Room blueprints before the Seaglide in my current game. LOL.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    It is rather irritating. Closest thing to a work-around I've found is loading a savegame. The list gets slowly populated over several minutes. If you hang around the Scanner Room, you can sometimes catch an item farther down and select it before it gets pushed off the bottom of the screen by other items.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    Rise from your grave!

.... er, I mean....

The Scanner Room's UI has been updated recently.

.... to one that's a little prettier, and that has the *start* of a scrollbar, but that doesn't actually let you scroll to search for certain things.

I'm not sure if this is something that's a bug, a WIP, or an error. However, the new UI is a sign of.... something. I don't know *exactly* what yet, but *something*.
    edited November 2017
    Kurasu wrote: »
    Rise from your grave!

.... er, I mean....

.... to one that's a little prettier, and that has the *start* of a scrollbar, but that doesn't actually let you scroll to search for certain things.

I'm not sure if this is something that's a bug, a WIP, or an error. However, the new UI is a sign of.... something. I don't know *exactly* what yet, but *something*.

Hey! It's not the Scanner Room's fault you built your base in the VOID and are now surprised there's nothing for it to find there. :)

Unless you are complaining because the Scanner Room doesn't have a list to search for:

"Deadly creatures about to eat me"

But is that really a bug or a feature request?

:)
    garath wrote: »
    Rise from your grave!

.... er, I mean....

Hey! It's not the Scanner Room's fault you built your base in the VOID and are now surprised there's nothing for it to find there. :)

Unless you are complaining because the Scanner Room doesn't have a list to search for:

"Deadly creatures about to eat me"

But is that really a bug or a feature request?

:)

Well, it *does* have a search for 'Reaper Leviathan'. ;)

And FWIW, my above is also an outdated statement. Apparently they fixed the issue, as when I checked the scanner rooms, they seem to be working fine now (scroll seems to check for all options in their range). So hooray for useful scanner rooms now! At least, I *hope* they are useful now. Barring bugs and/or exclusions.

Well, it *does* have a search for 'Reaper Leviathan'. ;)

No way! You made that up!

Didn't you?

rd007c9omvpp.jpg

As long as the Reaper is within range, I.E. active and spawned, the machine will track it.

The 'active and spawned' part is the tricky part. It wasn't present until I moved my camera into range in order to 'spawn' it. ;)
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    edited November 2017
    It actually scanned for reapers before. It also scans for Reeefbacks. Not sure what else is big enough for the list though. Haven't built one deep enough to see if it'll spot ghost leviathans, sea treaders, or crabsquid.

Now we just need icons for all the scanner options. But that's just polish.
    I'll be making one down in the Lost River later on, so I'll soon be able to tell you if it searches for those. I do know it doesn't search for warpers (alas!) and there seems to be 'Uraninite' missing from the list. At least the one I have in the trench doesn't find any, though I know for a fact there is/was some in the area.
    and there seems to be 'Uraninite' missing from the list. At least the one I have in the trench doesn't find any, though I know for a fact there is/was some in the area.

I'd say give it an experimental build or three, then submit that as a bug.
    Planning to try building one in a couple different areas and seeing what shows up (and what doesn't) when I'm able to settle in. Hopefully I'll just find out that it's not able to find them because I just picked the area cleaner than I realized, but I'm pretty sure it's otherwise. ;)
    edited November 2017
    Well, with a fully-functional scanner room, I now have a much better reason for building deep exploratory bases, which has been one of my few remaining major outstanding complaints about the flow of gameplay. First full 1.0 playthrough is gonna have a base in nearly every biome, probably.

Edit: I need to test how overlapping scanner rooms work for the purposes of watching multiple resources on your HUD. Some bases might actually get more than one if that works.
    edited November 2017
    It works! Two scanner rooms in the same base, right next to each-other. Also an answer about Uraninite; it's not a universal bug, at least.

FokLeGC.png

This is awesome and I love everything about it.
    Huh! Weird. Maybe it's not showing up because I somehow managed to get them all in the area, but I didn't *think* I had. And I have my search chipped, so range shouldn't be an issue.

I'll have to try it in different areas. Weird. :P
    rd007c9omvpp.jpg
    As long as the Reaper is within range, I.E. active and spawned, the machine will track it.

The 'active and spawned' part is the tricky part. It wasn't present until I moved my camera into range in order to 'spawn' it. ;)

You can't fool me! Your Photoshop skills are legendary. :)

garath wrote: »
    rd007c9omvpp.jpg

You can't fool me! Your Photoshop skills are legendary. :)

I should be so lucky! I could make a mint! ;)
    edited November 2017
    I just checked my scanner room at the edge of the crash zone. The one that I screenshotted above?

The items that it is allowing me to search for are different. There isn't even a second page of them; I can only search for seven different things. Not including the Lithium which I had been searching for when I turned it off (to look for sandstone). Or the reaper leviathan. Or, for that matter, sandstone.

So it looks as if the scanners still have bugs. Either that, or they have bugs that were reintroduced with the newest build. ;)

EDIT: OK. After activating the camera and going into the reaper's territory to 'spawn' it, the scanner room now can actually find it. So at least that is the same as the above. However, the sandstone and lithium is still missing.

SECOND EDIT: OK. So apparently after taking the camera out and exploring the area a bit, *then* the scanner was able to pick some things up. So apparently your cameras may now be more important than before if that's the case: they're the ones indicating what is around to scan. Not sure if that's meant to be deliberate or not!
    Awwww yeeeaahhhh.
    - Allow thermals/solars attached to base pieces like foundations to also connect through relays as long as they don't connect back to the base.

Time to rebuild my thermal relay on a platform overtop of those smokers, instead of having to try and cram them into rocks that they don't want to sit properly on. :D Four or five thermals in one place instead of (precariously) two? Yesplz.
    So it looks as if the scanners still have bugs. Either that, or they have bugs that were reintroduced with the newest build. ;)
    Quick question, is this a newly-built scanner room, or did it exist before they were updated? I recall my cyclops from before they updated that being broken for a bit, but building/spawning a fresh one worked fine.

Also, the delay you mention... do you have a scanner speed upgrade in there?

Jarin wrote: »
    Quick question, is this a newly-built scanner room, or did it exist before they were updated? I recall my cyclops from before they updated that being broken for a bit, but building/spawning a fresh one worked fine.

Both existed before they were updated. Both worked the same way; I apparently had to have a camera in range of the things I wanted to scan. The area immediately around my base is picked clean of uraninite, so I'm assuming that's why the option to search doesn't appear until I move the camera 50 or so yards down.
    Also, the delay you mention... do you have a scanner speed upgrade in there?

Which delay? I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

edited November 2017
    Awwww yeeeaahhhh.
    - Allow thermals/solars attached to base pieces like foundations to also connect through relays as long as they don't connect back to the base.

Time to rebuild my thermal relay on a platform overtop of those smokers, instead of having to try and cram them into rocks that they don't want to sit properly on. :D Four or five thermals in one place instead of (precariously) two? Yesplz.

Best. Change. Ever. This week has been amazing.
    DeJAqAU.png
    You can even put the first relay on the platform right behind them, and it links off elsewhere just fine.

Both existed before they were updated. Both worked the same way; I apparently had to have a camera in range of the things I wanted to scan. The area immediately around my base is picked clean of uraninite, so I'm assuming that's why the option to search doesn't appear until I move the camera 50 or so yards down.
    Yeah, I'm seeing it on my test base now (with uraninite, even). Pushing out the cameras does seem to help it detect resources.

It looks like it resets any time you unload the area. Or at least on save/reload.

Vaguely annoying, but like you said, it's a reason to use the cameras now, so hardly game-breaking. Side-note, as a nice touch, you can flip through all camera drones on a base from one scanner room. Thought I'd have to go to my second room to control its attached drones.
    Side-side note, pushing out my cameras, I'm having some serious chunk-loading glitches, so I assume the current loading logic is being tweaked and is a bit wonky right now.
    Vaguely annoying, but like you said, it's a reason to use the cameras now, so hardly game-breaking. Side-note, as a nice touch, you can flip through all camera drones on a base from one scanner room. Thought I'd have to go to my second room to control its attached drones.

Quite frankly, cameras didn't have much use before this, so as annoying as it is, I'm kind of in favor of it. It gives the drones an actual purpose now rather than just for fun observation (not that observation was bad; I kinda liked getting an up close and personal look of the local wildlife.)
    Testing, I've now confirmed the camera loading behavior on a number of rare resources in the LR and ILZ. The camera proximity is definitely facilitating the scanner room picking up targets.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Awwww yeeeaahhhh.

Best. Change. Ever. This week has been amazing.
    DeJAqAU.png
    You can even put the first relay on the platform right behind them, and it links off elsewhere just fine.

Yeah, I'm seeing it on my test base now (with uraninite, even). Pushing out the cameras does seem to help it detect resources.

It looks like it resets any time you unload the area. Or at least on save/reload.

is this the one off the left side of the GUN, as if you were looking towards the gun from the end nearest the void?
    "kingku wrote:
    is this the one off the left side of the GUN, as if you were looking towards the gun from the end nearest the void?

Yeah. There's a cluster of three vents just a little ways down that passage, and I think the temp increase from them is stacking. I still only get 60~ degrees or so planting practically on top of lava down deep.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Explain to me how thee vents give 103C temp. But the ILZ area directly near lava, only gave me 74C. That's so stupid lol.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Explain to me how thee vents give 103C temp. But the ILZ area directly near lava, only gave me 74C. That's so stupid lol.
    Yeah, I'm thinking bug. Though honestly, the lava just needs to generate more heat.
    Recently tested: it does *not* scan for Ghost Leviathans.