Exterior lights sucking up too much power

LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
My base includes 3 Bioreactors and 5 Thermal Plants, and when the 2 Water Filtration machines are full, it still struggles to gain power. The only other active sources of power drain are a spotlight and a floodlight outside. Should these really drain so much?

If the lights are going to drain so much, the devs should take up my suggestion and put light switches in every room. I'd quite like on/off switches for the Water Filtration machines too, in fact why not power switches for everything, that way we can diagnose what's draining so much power! :p

Comments

• BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    Most lighting is too power hungry at the moment. The hand-deployable lights are even worse than the base lights and I felt like they burn through a battery faster than using a parked seamoth for lighting. I understand wanting to keep things dark, but I just ended up avoiding using them entirely.
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    edited August 2017
    Honestly if we assume that in the future they would use LED or even more efficient lighting systems than lighting would essentially be a freebie especially when you consider that compared to traditional lighting systems a led with a light output similar to a 100 watt bulb only uses between 15-20 watts you have very high intensity with fractional power inputs.
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    I was experimenting the other day to compare the nuclear reactor to the bioreactor. I had two separate MP rooms, one for each reactor. And each room had two flood lights on it so I could watch from across the way to see when they ran out of power. The bioreactor couldn't even get one flood light to run steady, much less power them both. And the power reading never got above 100/500. But I've had bases running just fine on the bioreactor. The only difference was the lack of floodlights on the other bases.

That is a very long-winded way of saying I agree with the OP. Just thought I'd throw in a bit of experimental data for support.

FWIW, the nuclear reactor got all the way up to 2500/2500 with no problem on just one rod. But that rod only lasted a day, maybe two, game-time. So I still think the bioreactor is the better option if you have room to fit several of them.
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    The Nuclear Reactor is great when you absolutely need power, but it's not renewable and it's disappointing how quickly it uses fuel. If we could switch it off, or put it into a low-power state to conserve fuel, it might be worth investing in, but I'd rather have 3 Bioreactors and use the fish bred in Alien Containment to fuel them. The Water Filtration machine power drain bug needs to be fixed however before bases can become truly self-sustaining.
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    The flood light had it's battery removed. That's very nice. It's working on base connected parts.

The light stick still has it's battery which goes down very fast, rendering it totally useless.