Let's see if anyone can parse what this Twitter status update means.

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

I think that's how much they had to fork over to Unity to license their source to fix their darned engine. Unreal. smh Hope it's worth it in the long haul, but that bites.

Comments

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I'd say you're right.
    A lot of licensed software behaves that way. Say you buy a license for some product. The product is incomplete/inefficient/just-plain-broken, but the only way to get your hands under the hood to make it work the way you need to is to fork over even more cash for a development license - which is usually doled out as a rental rather than an outright purchase - so that you can do the vendor's work for them in making their stupid product work right. It's a racket, no doubt about it. Adobe is an ace at it. Looks like Unity isn't far behind them.

It's an outgrowth of that whole "Hey, why should we spend money on QA testing? Just release it and let users fix it." school of thought.

It's also part of why Early Access is such a benefit. UWE is fortunate in that they have income from other products. A start-up developer with nothing to go on still has these (if you ask me, outrageous) expenses to cope with. EA cash helps keep them going to completion. (I speak, of course, of developers who actually intend to finish their games rather than rake in EA cash and run for Switzerland...so to speak.)
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    I'd say you're right.
    A lot of licensed software behaves that way. Say you buy a license for some product. The product is incomplete/inefficient/just-plain-broken, but the only way to get your hands under the hood to make it work the way you need to is to fork over even more cash for a development license - which is usually doled out as a rental rather than an outright purchase - so that you can do the vendor's work for them in making their stupid product work right. It's a racket, no doubt about it. Adobe is an ace at it. Looks like Unity isn't far behind them.

It's an outgrowth of that whole "Hey, why should we spend money on QA testing? Just release it and let users fix it." school of thought.

It's also part of why Early Access is such a benefit. UWE is fortunate in that they have income from other products. A start-up developer with nothing to go on still has these (if you ask me, outrageous) expenses to cope with. EA cash helps keep them going to completion. (I speak, of course, of developers who actually intend to finish their games rather than rake in EA cash and run for Switzerland...so to speak.)

UNW is making money from merchandise along with purchases. But that might not cover the Unity expenses. The trello says a possible price increase. Dose anyone know how much they will rack up the price?
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Now I know never to touch Unity for anything more than a hobby project. If they won't fix their product and will charge you extra for the privilege of fixing it yourself, there's something very wrong.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    UNW is making money from merchandise along with purchases. But that might not cover the Unity expenses. The trello says a possible price increase. Dose anyone know how much they will rack up the price?

The price will increase $5-10.
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    Unity seems more flexible to cross platform, however building an engine from scrach was probably too expensive or too time consuming i would of thought.
    contracting out to Unity to use their engine i would expect was just more easier, but i would of thought a group like UWE would of had that one thought of before making such a deal and had something in place so not to be blindsided in this way.
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    Now I know never to touch Unity for anything more than a hobby project. If they won't fix their product and will charge you extra for the privilege of fixing it yourself, there's something very wrong.

sorry but that's like saying there is something wrong with paying a special cleaner to clean out the rain gutters just because you paid him the service to fix the problem. if the problem is serious enough and unity has nothing to do in that area, unity could deploy men, resources and time to the job to fix it as a special request. as for how reasonable the price is or not, that remains to be seen.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Getting a game to work on most hardware configurations (speaking on PCs here) is difficult. Making a game engine that needs to support whatever game developers come up with and also on most hardware configurations? Certainly a lot tougher.

Subnautica is a fairly unique game in what it requires from the engine. The fact that the interactable terrain stretches in three dimensions breaks a lot of assumptions developers would normally make with drier footed games and makes entire engine features unusable, like using a nav mesh to allow AI to navigate the world. I'd give Unity a little slack, but I don't have the foggiest clue what the context of the linked status update is. Could be some bull the engine really should have seen coming, could not.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited August 2017

Eh, it's become more-or-less standard practice. The ones to avoid are the publishers who won't let you fix their products even with a license. (Adobe, looking right at you. You, too, Microsoft.) For relatively simple work, basic licenses generally serve needs fine. It's when you start pushing the boundaries of what the engine was originally built to do that things start getting...interesting. :)

Digression warning! We're about to go on a short - but interesting - detour.

Pound for pound (so to speak), Unity is pretty useful. Point of fact, if you saw the movie Passengers, you saw a unique application of Unity. :) Common practice in film is to have actors interact with a dead computer screen/console/whatever, then add all the fancy graphical stuff in post. Buuuuut, the filmmakers didn't want to do that because those interactions usually end up looking like someone's punching a display that was blank. (Funny, that.) So they had a graphics team put together working interfaces to display on touchscreens and tablets in the film for the actors to use live, on camera.

Unity is good for rapid development of relatively simple things, or - if you're willing to put in the time - the development of some pretty dang complex stuff. Plague Inc., The Room, Rust, Kerbal Space Program, Cities: Skylines, Fallout Shelter, realMyst, Stranded Deep, Osiris: New Dawn, Clustertruck, Firewatch, Universe Sandbox, and, yes, our own beloved Subnautica all run on Unity. Plus about a hundred others.

Digression has ended. All clear.

Unity has four license levels. The first three aren't too onerous on pricing. The fourth, most accommodating, most powerful license...they don't even publish a price tag, just a "call us and we'll negotiate" - which is typically shorthand for "be prepared to sign over your DNA and all derivative works."
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    This is why building your own engine is always worth it. The perceived benefit of using another engine always ends up giving you problems that can't be fixed by you.

Every game that does anything serious with it has issues with Unity. I hate watching Kerbal Space Program choke over simple space stations because it decided to trust Unity's physics engine instead do the work to make it itself.

The simple fact is that thanks to modern 3d graphics API's, building your own cross-platform graphics engine is not as hard as everyone often thinks it is.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    Digression warning! We're about to go on a short - but interesting - detour.

Pound for pound (so to speak), Unity is pretty useful. Point of fact, if you saw the movie Passengers, you saw a unique application of Unity. :) Common practice in film is to have actors interact with a dead computer screen/console/whatever, then add all the fancy graphical stuff in post. Buuuuut, the filmmakers didn't want to do that because those interactions usually end up looking like someone's punching a display that was blank. (Funny, that.) So they had a graphics team put together working interfaces to display on touchscreens and tablets in the film for the actors to use live, on camera.

Unity is good for rapid development of relatively simple things, or - if you're willing to put in the time - the development of some pretty dang complex stuff. Plague Inc., The Room, Rust, Kerbal Space Program, Cities: Skylines, Fallout Shelter, realMyst, Stranded Deep, Osiris: New Dawn, Clustertruck, Firewatch, Universe Sandbox, and, yes, our own beloved Subnautica all run on Unity. Plus about a hundred others.

Digression has ended. All clear.

Unity has four license levels. The first three aren't too onerous on pricing. The fourth, most accommodating, most powerful license...they don't even publish a price tag, just a "call us and we'll negotiate" - which is typically shorthand for "be prepared to sign over your DNA and all derivative works."

QT has the same benefit for a lot less per year.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members

We used to say that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    This is why building your own engine is always worth it. The perceived benefit of using another engine always ends up giving you problems that can't be fixed by you.

Every game that does anything serious with it has issues with Unity. I hate watching Kerbal Space Program choke over simple space stations because it decided to trust Unity's physics engine instead do the work to make it itself.

The simple fact is that thanks to modern 3d graphics API's, building your own cross-platform graphics engine is not as hard as everyone often thinks it is.

Great plan if you have unlimited funding and time, which most companies don't. The reason that releases of entirely new engines are few and far between is because it costs just so much to build one. And, making matters worse, it's investment with no immediate return or guarantee of return. You can't sell an engine to gamers; there needs to be a game. All the time you dumped into building your new engine did nothing to help you get a saleable product to market, which means you're starting out already down a million-plus. Sure, there's a chance you'll be able to market your engine to other developers, but those sales only come in when successful games are released using it. So rather than starting from zero to get to what is the same point with only minor differences from other products...that's a lot of effort for very little gain.

Building an engine is an enormous pain in every sense of the word. An engine is no simple thing. First you have the implementation module that handles running the logic employed by the game - the program, if you like. Then you have an audio component, responsible for converting software output into usable audio. Add on a physics simulator now, which is an insanely-complex number-cruncher that, when it gets things wrong, gamers will shred en masse. The AI routines need to be built, too; those aren't contained in the game itself for the most part, instead they call routines contained in the engine's AI package. Sure, developers tweak those routines or find new ways to harness their output, but the heavy lifting is done by the engine. And, lest we forget, the rendering component. You'll buy yourself a DirectX license, probably (which ain't cheap), and use that as your input hardware interface layer, but you'll still need a GPU interface. Yes, modern APIs are able to streamline that process, but - and this is key - you will pay for that convenience. Someone did the work to code the API you want to use, so you can bet they're going to charge handsomely for that convenience.

Most of the time, it's wasted effort, reinventing the wheel. Bursts of engine development activity occur when hardware technology makes a leap, making investing in new engines really a profitable idea. And, yes, AAA houses routinely build their own version of an existing engine so that they can tune what they want, but the key element is version. It's why Epic Unreal has been the dominant engine for a long time; it's a complete, working design that is modification- and customization-friendly. Taking the time to build from scratch is a waste 99% of the time. Instead, you buy a license for the engine that makes the most sense, a license which gives you source code access and the authority to make changes...which is what UWE has apparently just done.

Most of the time, problems like those experienced by KSP are caused by the developer just being cheap and/or lazy. Either they don't purchase a high enough license to enable them to modify the engine's source to more tightly meet the game's needs, or they did buy the license but haven't implemented appropriate changes. It's like saying Deus Ex: Invisible War sucked because they didn't build their own engine. No, not at all; it had problems because Ion Storm/EIDOS cheaped out and didn't buy adequate licensing to allow for modification. They used a base version of Unreal Engine 2, and it shows. Splinter Cell, on the other hand, used the exact same engine to start with, but licensed-up to allow them to tweak and tune the engine to be exactly what the game needed. They didn't rebuild the apartment building to change the paint in one unit; they just bought the license from the landlord to repaint. :)
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Unreal is far more powerful than unity with it's ease of use and it's flexible and also you can access it's source for free and only 5% on each sold copy of the project I mean I guess it would have been better if the devs took unreal instead of unity in my opinion I could be wrong but from my experience as a programmer in unreal it would have been far better if they used unreal
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2017
    AFAIK, UWE is the first developer trying to use Unity as a 3D open world environment, in a water world even. Usually Unity tends to be used for those closed in corridor shooters or claustrophobic horror games right? So what UWE is doing, is kinda pushing the engine beyond what it was designed for?

^Correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is the basic thing I got from what Unity is all about...
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    AFAIK, UWE is the first developer trying to use Unity as an open world environment. Usually Unity was used for those closed in hallway shooters/horror game right? So what UWE is doing is kinda pushing the engine beyond what it was designed for.

^Correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is the basic thing I got from what Unity is for.

You are absolutely right with what you have said but the question is how much does UWE has to suffer to make this thing happen ?

Like when I first saw that game I wondered what the devs used i was mind blown when I found out that it was unity i was like I didn't know unity can make this but what's done is done all what we can do support them in what they are doing
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    AFAIK, UWE is the first developer trying to use Unity as a 3D open world environment, in a water world even. Usually Unity tends to be used for those closed in corridor shooters or claustrophobic horror games right? So what UWE is doing, is kinda pushing the engine beyond what it was designed for?

^Correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is the basic thing I got from what Unity is all about...

Unity also did KSP, though, Kouji. But you're absolutely right in that fully 3D worlds aren't common in gaming, so it was always destined to be a bit of a tussle to make it happen.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2017
    True but KSP has a lot less detail in their "world view". Besides that sexy Subnautica water is probably murder on the engine along with all the fish AI and runtime entity overload.

Also does Unity come with Level of Detail, Detail over Distance, open world VIS programming, out of the box or did UWE have to program that stuff themselves (or buy external addons for that)?

---
    Obviously I'm making assumptions here o/
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    From what I remember being said, SN is already operating on a customised version of Unity - and that was mentioned on Trello somewhere with the "Get help from Unity engineering" - because the vanilla wouldn't be able to handle the game by the looks of it. I know this info was there, but I'm not sure if on that card.