Mistakes in original strings

ShtongShtong France Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203480Members
Hi there. I sometimes stumble on original strings that appear to contain mistakes. So instead of shrugging it off or putting a message on the Discord that nobody reads, I'll try to create a thread to put these in! And maybe other translators can use it too.

Let us start.

Tooltip_ThermalPlant Converts heat to energy (> 15 °C) (50 power/min). (contains a weird character)

Tooltip_ReefbackAdvancedStructure Analyzing the detailed inner workings this advanced shell structure may allow further structural strengthening (there's something missing in that phrase)

Comments

• ShtongShtong France Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203480Members
    Tooltip_ThermalPlantBlueprint Plans for building a ThermalPlant. (missing space)
    Ency_CuteFish Cute Fish (shouldn't it be Cutefish, the creature name ?)

(pinging @LumpN since he seems to be the localization guy at UWE ? sorry if I'm wrong)
  • WillemVWillemV Dallas, TX Join Date: 2017-05-24 Member: 230737Members
    EncyDesc_Stalker
    A streamline predator

Should be: A streamlined predator

EncyDesc_Readme
    This operating system has one directive: to keep you alive on a hostile aline world.

Should be: This operating system has one directive: to keep you alive on a hostile alien world.
    EncyDesc_HangingStinger
    2. Follicles along the tentacles capable of detecting

Should be: Follicles along the tentacles are capable of detecting
  • OrAfelOrAfel Kibbutz Gevim, Israel Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229586Members
    There is a "Jumper" reference, which IMHO refers to the Shuttlebug. One of the needs to be deleted (I think the jumper is a mistake - no jumping whatsoever)
  • OrAfelOrAfel Kibbutz Gevim, Israel Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229586Members
    While the 'CookedLavaEyeye' and 'CuredLavaEyeye' are originally called Cooked Red Eyeye and Cured Red Eyeye respectively, the LavaEyeye eponymous as Lava Eyeye. I think it should be Red Eyeye (alternatively, we could change the other two)
    EncyDesc_RedBasketPlant
    A complex, cave-dwelling fauna specimen

Should be: A complex, cave-dwelling flora specimen
    Goal_Silver
    Silver-based computer chips

Should be: Gold-based computer chips
    edited October 2017
    EncyDesc_JellyPDARoom1Locker
    And she needs Bart and I to do it.

Should be: And she needs Bart and me to do it.

Edit: Since @Soul_Rider is disagreeing with this: To my knowledge "Bart and me" are objects of a verb, not subjects of a verb joined, and therefore "I" cannot be used. A simple test is to leave Bart out of the picture: "And she needs I to do it."

If you have a more in-depth understanding of the grammar involved, please share. I am always eager to learn. Thanks! :)
    edited August 2017
    DamagedSavedGame 
    <color='#000000FF'>Damaged saved game</color>

If the color code is RGB hex and the color of the text needs to be red, the code should be #FF0000. If it is meant to be blue, it should be #0000FF. In either case, the original has two characters too many.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    WillemV wrote: »
    DamagedSavedGame 
    <color='#000000FF'>Damaged saved game</color>

If the color code is RGB hex and the color of the text needs to be red, the code should be #FF0000. If it is meant to be blue, it should be #0000FF. In either case, the original has two characters too many.

But it's not in rgb, it's in rgba. See https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StyledText.html Supported tags->color
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    But it's not in rgb, it's in rgba. See https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StyledText.html Supported tags->color

Thanks for the clarification! :)

EncyDesc_OuterBiomeWreckLore4
    This begs the question: if we define everything by reference to everything else, what are have we actually explained?

Uhm, what?
    EncyDesc_OuterBiomeWreckLore4
    The Strader VI colony quickly formed into three factions:

It is clear from the rest of the text that there are only two factions.
    EncyDesc_Cyclops
    - Extensive storage solutions in the stern section

If this refers to the built-in storage, that is not in the stern section (back of the ship), it's more accurately in the keel hold.

If it just refers to the available space for storage, it's still vague, as space for adding lockers is all over the sub.
    EncyDesc_Aurora_Office_Terminal1
    The Aurora will travel from spacedock on the edge of Alterra space...

Unless "spacedock" is a proper name, it should be: The Aurora will travel from a spacedock on the edge of Alterra space...
    EncyDesc_Aurora_Office_Terminal1
    If the Aurora's mission is successful Alterra will have outmanoeuvered a cabal...

The term outmanoeuvered is a form of the Britsh verb outmanoeuvre. Since the rest of the Subnautica text appears to be in American English, it should be: If the Aurora's mission is successful Alterra will have outmaneuvered a cabal...
    EncyDesc_Exo_Code_WreckPDA
    How about 6666. The guys will like that.

Should be: How about 6666? The guys will like that.
    EncyDesc_Aurora_Living_Area_PDA1
    During the Expansion, Alterra supplied arms to all sides, acquiring and housing a vast colonist workforce, and making the transition from manufacturer to coprorate state.

Should be: to corporate state
    edited August 2017
    EncyDesc_Aurora_Living_Area_PDA3
    Condensed into a smooth, nutty, protein-rich soup, they are the freshest local ingredient available to travellers on long-haul space flights.

Again, an instance of British English vs American English. If American English is Subnautica's default, it should be: travelers
    EncyDesc_Aurora_RingRoom_Terminal3
    ALTERRA HQ [T+8hrs]: ALTERRA HQ: This is Alterra HQ.

Appears repetitive. Should be: ALTERRA HQ [T+8hrs]: This is Alterra HQ.
    EncyDesc_DeepPDA1
    MARGUERIT: Come on then, what's it gonna do? Turn inside out? Dissolve us into slime?

Sounds disconnected, as if the disease itself in going to turn inside out.

Should be: MARGUERIT: Come on then, what's it gonna do? Turn us inside out? Dissolve us into slime?
    EncyDesc_Precursor_LostRiverBase_DataDownload1
    PDA Assessment: While it is unlikely...

Consistency. So far the nomenclature has been Assessment, not PDA Assessment.

Should be: Assessment: While it is unlikely...
    EncyDesc_Precursor_LostRiverBase_DataDownload1
    ...it may be possible to acquire there further data on their attempts to develop a vaccine.

Not wrong per se, but it sounds awkward, somewhat foreign, as far as word order is concerned.

Better: ...it may be possible to acquire further data there on their attempts to develop a vaccine.

Precursor_LostRiverBase_Log2
    Detecting an alien broadcast. Linguistic analysis reads: 'Caution: hazardous materials and lifeforms contained within.

It's missing its closing single quote. Should be: 'Caution: hazardous materials and lifeforms contained within.'
    EncyDesc_SeaDragon
    Finding suggests evolutionary divergence from other species on the planet many generations ago.

Grammatically correct, but not common. Common form: Findings suggest evolutionary divergence from other species on the planet many generations ago.
    BATHSPHERE
    BATHSPHERE

We don't really know what Bathsphere means in the first place :o)
    Shtong wrote: »
    BATHSPHERE
    BATHSPHERE

We don't really know what Bathsphere means in the first place :o)

Not sure what context or entry item this appears in, but if it isn't referring to a spherical bath (http://alexanderzhukovsky.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Bathsphere-by-Alexander-Zhukovsky.jpg) then it should most likely be "Bathysphere" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathysphere).
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is my kinda thread