Changing weather.

KutulainenKutulainen Join Date: 2017-07-16 Member: 231858Members
Changing weather would be nice.
Now, I know that the devs have put a LOT of time and effort into making the game look as pretty as it is. And it really shows. Those gues have really polished the current sea, sky and day-night cycle. Seriously, it shows how much you've done for the game.

But, it would be nice if there would be more weather options. Now, most of the time the current "bright days with a few clouds at the distance" is perfectly fine, but every few days if COULD change.

Some days could have dead calm waters and eerie silence. Once every 5 or so game days there might be a rain shower. And on rare days, there would be big storm and rough seas with dark skies. This, accompanied with changing light leves of day and night, would create a mixture of different weathers to spice things up.

Possible weather conditions:
-Dead Calm - On rare days, there would not be any wind at all. And the sea would be smooth and calm. The sounds of animals would also carry for longer on the surface. Special feature: if the day ends on dead calm, there would be "green flash" phenomenon in the horizon right at the moment of sundown.
-Overcast - otherwise normal, but cloudy skies with low-hanging clouds.
-Storm - On rare days, there would be particulary rough seas and lots of wind and rain. Everything is dark and gloomy (even underwater light levels would be reduced) and every now and then a lightning would strike across the skies. This could be seen below the surface too with a flashing light from the surface. The way the devs made the aurora explosion sound echo around would be really cool on lightnings... as if you could hear the echos from further away as the sound dies off.
-Fog - Severely reduces fisibility on surface. Could have light rain showers every now and then. Or, with dead calm -effect, could create some really eerie feelings.

These weather effects would make a clear transition between underwater and surface world. Underwater world is relatively unchanged regardless of the weather, whereas after extended underwater journey, upon surfacing the player might find himself in a storming sea. Most of the time is spent underwater anyways, so it would remind the player that it is not his natural environment and that the world continues above the surface... sort of.

Comments

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    It's a cool idea but i do remember obraxis saying that it screws the skybox but they do want to add it if you look in subnautica polish you should see a card with a video on it that gives you how a raining whether will look like
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Also worth considering: Storms churn up the water too. You could throw in some other hazards if you're near the surface. Currents, turbulence... And hell, storms could ALSO cause new stone deposits to spawn, with the justification of "Stormy seas may shift the sand around and expose previously hidden resources"
  • DiodonDiodon United States Join Date: 2017-07-24 Member: 232016Members
    I'd love to see the contrast between a stormy sea and the peace of the deep waters! Even just an overcast sky with rain would be greatly appreciated.
  • JiffyJuffJiffyJuff Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232089Members
    Waterspouts. Let's have giant waterspouts sucking players, fauna and scrap metal into the air, before it all rains down in a spectacular downpour of random stuff.

I'm half-joking; it would be difficult to make it look good, and lag and clipping would be issues. Still, I want my reaper leviathan falling from the sky.

On an unrelated note, this would also make the Degasi logs about destructive storms make much more sense.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
  • Gamechanger3849Gamechanger3849 Flying an ARC-170 above Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-06-17 Member: 231153Members
    JiffyJuff wrote: »
    Waterspouts. Let's have giant waterspouts sucking players, fauna and scrap metal into the air, before it all rains down in a spectacular downpour of random stuff.

I'm half-joking; it would be difficult to make it look good, and lag and clipping would be issues. Still, I want my reaper leviathan falling from the sky.

On an unrelated note, this would also make the Degasi logs about destructive storms make much more sense.
    Reapernado

Introducing the new exciting hit movie filmed on planet 4546B directed by scuba steve starring: Scuba Steve and Reapa le vaithan REAPERNADO the movie