Sunbeam wreckage with specialty items

WillemVWillemV Dallas, TX Join Date: 2017-05-24 Member: 230737Members

There are plenty of Alterra pieces and life pods to get new blueprints and goodies from. The Degasi left enough scrap to build two underwater bases and an island base with.

One would, therefore, expect at least some remnants from the Sunbeam, no? It would be a good opportunity for time sensitive discoveries in the game flow if the explosion of the Sunbeam left a few specialty items in recognizable wreckage.

Cheers!

- Willem

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    No, there won't be a sunbeam wreck as the gun complety obliterates the sunbeam. The damage it did to the Aurora was enough to show that a ship the size of the sunbeam won't have a wreck
  • ArumenArumen United States Join Date: 2017-07-24 Member: 232026Members
    I think it would be awesome to see some results from the Sunbeam's explosion. It does take a more direct hit from the cannon than the Aurora did (and possibly the Delgasi) as it was flying into the blast, but I would be interested in recovering a few different things from the Sunbeam.

Firstly, it is a smaller ship, so it may have parts that are needed for space flight that would be too large to remove from the Aurora but are more appropriately sized in the Sunbeam. Perhaps the engine that allows for ships like the Aurora to utilize gravity wells for travel is small and mostly intact on the wreckage of the Sunbeam.

I would also like to find the Black Box from the Sunbeam. We know how it went down and a decent amount about it, but that would likely be made to survive an explosion so finding that would be of interest.

Lastly, since it must be considered that any techs that are found on the Sunbeam would not be accessible in the early game, it would be interesting to find something to help upgrade things like the Sea Glide, like an upgrade slot that can put in a speed module, and energy saver, or a far more powerful light.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    In game you can clearly see the gun completely destroy the sunbeam. Explain to me how a wreck will appear from it
    edited July 2017
    Also yes the degasi was piloted by 6 people. But the ship was most likely bigger than the sunbeam since it was able to be savage into base parts.

In game you can clearly see the gun completely destroy the sunbeam. Explain to me how a wreck will appear from it

If the devs decided to add scanables, they would just have to change the animation slightly to make that clearer.
    edited July 2017
    . . . Why, just why
    edited July 2017
    Here: http://imgur.com/t3s530k
    There is Cory, a dev, saying no sunbeam wreck

Any questions?
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • WillemVWillemV Dallas, TX Join Date: 2017-05-24 Member: 230737Members
    Here: http://imgur.com/t3s530k
    There is Cory, a dev, saying no sunbeam wreck

Any questions?

Yes.

Glad you got it your way? Why even have an "Ideas and Suggestions" section with people like you around?

If you don't understand the proposal, or the difference between "wreck" and "wreckage", why go out of your way to get a dev to prop you up?

@Arumen you got my drift. Thanks.
    I know this ideas and suggestions. I was just trying to tell you that it wasn't gonna happen since the devs didn't want one in the first place. You weren't listening to me so I showed the pic of one of them saying that It won't be added.
    I was just trying to tell you that it wasn't gonna happen since the devs didn't want one in the first place.

Nope. You wrote 5 responses with your own speculations as to why there shouldn't be wreckage. Only after @Arumen mentioned devs did you come up with Cory's statement.

Had you posted that immediately, instead of trying to come across as knowing everything, all of this would have been a non-issue. Thanks, though.

Have a great day.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    edited July 2017
    Ohhh it's getting hot in here :smirk:

I'll have to back up @WillemV here because you can see peices of the sunbeam break off in the explosion.

Some upgrades to previous tech or engine peices for the escape rocket.

@jamintheinfinite_1 It would be better if you accepted new ideas and suggestions even if they have been confirmed to not happen. This game is still developing and will likely change drastically in the future :wink:
    edited July 2017
    The reason why is because I also mention to Cory about it. That's why I didn't post it at first because i didn't have a picture of dev mentioning of no sunbeam wreck at the time. Also it was pretty obvious that there can't be any left. The only pieces left of it burned up.
    edited July 2017
    Arumen wrote: »
    I think it would be awesome to see some results from the Sunbeam's explosion. It does take a more direct hit from the cannon than the Aurora did (and possibly the Delgasi) as it was flying into the blast, but I would be interested in recovering a few different things from the Sunbeam.

Firstly, it is a smaller ship, so it may have parts that are needed for space flight that would be too large to remove from the Aurora but are more appropriately sized in the Sunbeam. Perhaps the engine that allows for ships like the Aurora to utilize gravity wells for travel is small and mostly intact on the wreckage of the Sunbeam.

I would also like to find the Black Box from the Sunbeam. We know how it went down and a decent amount about it, but that would likely be made to survive an explosion so finding that would be of interest.

Lastly, since it must be considered that any techs that are found on the Sunbeam would not be accessible in the early game, it would be interesting to find something to help upgrade things like the Sea Glide, like an upgrade slot that can put in a speed module, and energy saver, or a far more powerful light.
    there was originally a faster seaglide called the power glide. It was removed due to it causing too much lag and probably some other reasons. But unlocking a faster seaglide would be useful. It probably wouldn't be on Xbox though since I heard Xbox has trouble handling the normal sea glide's speed
    Also this is getting stupid. You make the thread. I mention that it wouldn't be possible because how much damage it does to the sunbeam. You asked why I said that. So I then gave you a picture of some proof. Only for you to get pissed at me for just backing up my answer why it wasn't possible.
    edited July 2017
    Despite that though. I did just remember something else that would been a lot better if I remember it in the first place.........This isn't in game yet But the devs are gonna add a different cutscene if you disable the gun before the sunbeam comes. So depending on how it is could determine a wreckage or not. But if it gets shot down then there will be nothing yet. If it crashes there still won't be a wreck. so it could leave some things in it. But getting new things will probably not happen as the sunbeam is just an Altera cargo ship with crew members who seem to not really like Altera. So it wouldn't have that much useful things

Also I'm not trying to be rude
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Despite that though. I did just remember something else that would been a lot better if I remember it in the first place.........This isn't in game yet But the devs are gonna add a different cutscene if you disable the gun before the sunbeam comes.

You'd have to massively, purposely sequence-break the game to accomplish that. If there's gonna be an alternate cutscene, then the Sunbeam might as well pick you up. It's not like you haven't shown you can get through the adventure without whatever it might have aboard (and a lot of "essentials" aren't actually essential).

Ultimately it depends on what the devs want and I don't need a Sunbeam wreck, but I definitely am interested. But there's a technical problem to consider. Everything in SN is static. All the wreckage is there from the start. All the Aurora does is open up, but it's still there since always. There's no precedent to something new appearing on the map. And it can't just be spawned in either if it's at a location you could be at when the Sunbeam arrives, which atm is everywhere. Far as I can see, Sunbeam wreckage would only be feasible if it'd come with an area that is closed off until the crash.

I think that's the main problem with adding in a sunbeam wreck. That would suck if it landed on your base. :lol:
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

Ultimately it depends on what the devs want and I don't need a Sunbeam wreck, but I definitely am interested. But there's a technical problem to consider. Everything in SN is static. All the wreckage is there from the start. All the Aurora does is open up, but it's still there since always. There's no precedent to something new appearing on the map. And it can't just be spawned in either if it's at a location you could be at when the Sunbeam arrives, which atm is everywhere. Far as I can see, Sunbeam wreckage would only be feasible if it'd come with an area that is closed off until the crash.

I didn't consider that myself, however if they did have some way to spawn things in, surely it could simply detect player created structures or even just smash through them if they did get in the way. Very valid to point out the the wrecks are static points though otherwise.
    @DrownedOut Indeed. Smaller items respawn all the time, though, from fish to Aurora's metal wreckage that gives us titanium. You are right, there is no precedent to larger static items appearing, but larger dynamic items do -- like the cyclops, which also turns into interactive wreckage after sinking.

I don't need a Sunbeam wreck, either. As a matter of fact, I don't want a Sunbeam wreck. It would detract from the Aurora as the main wreck.

Wreckage is a different matter. Devs can decide how big or small the pieces are. Alternately, if not wreckage, then maybe Sunbeam cargo remnants, like interactive containers with goodies.
    WillemV wrote: »
    @DrownedOut Indeed. Smaller items respawn all the time, though, from fish to Aurora's metal wreckage that gives us titanium. You are right, there is no precedent to larger static items appearing, but larger dynamic items do -- like the cyclops, which also turns into interactive wreckage after sinking.

I don't need a Sunbeam wreck, either. As a matter of fact, I don't want a Sunbeam wreck. It would detract from the Aurora as the main wreck.

Wreckage is a different matter. Devs can decide how big or small the pieces are. Alternately, if not wreckage, then maybe Sunbeam cargo remnants, like interactive containers with goodies.

That's relatively easy to code in and does not really ruin and already made story sequences so I like it :)
    Here's a real-life example of a 71k subsciber Youtuber who witnesses the Sunbeam explode and immediately expresses an expectation to find wreckage:

The next episode he is actually searching for it (at 1:00 and 9:10)

I have seen many over time where people react the same way.

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    WillemV wrote: »
    Here's a real-life example of a 71k subsciber Youtuber who witnesses the Sunbeam explode and immediately expresses an expectation to find wreckage:

The next episode he is actually searching for it (at 1:00 and 9:10)

I have seen many over time where people react the same way.

I think a simple solution to this problem would be to have a PDA message play immediately following the destruction of the Sunbeam (or when the player enters the area afterwards if they weren't witness to the event) that states that the ship was essentially vaporized by the crash, and no debris larger than 0.5m are detected.
  • SnownovaSnownova Netherlands Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217895Members
    It would be an interesting time-gate if the Sunbeam was made from a different type of metal than the Aurora, and wreckage with that metal only appear after the Sunbeam explodes, starting in the mountains and then slowly being carried int other biomes.

This metal could be a requirement for some advanced items, like the PRAWN or maybe even the Cyclops, effectively time-gating them after the Sunbeam.
    Why would the same company use different metal for two different ships? And use a stronger one for a cargo ship?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited July 2017
    Why would the same company use different metal for two different ships? And use a stronger one for a cargo ship?

Given Avery Quinn's attitude in the first message we get from them, it's apparent he's not affiliated with Alterra in any way. He expresses contempt in how Alterra calls for help for trivial things (like needing engine grease) and then not responding to call backs; then he makes a snide remark about losing money "running errands for Alterra." This would seem to indicate a dislike for Alterra, which would be career suicide making comments to his crew if he actually worked for them (remember how the Alterra AI records a 'suspicious' conversation in the Mess Hall over a trivial matter... they will swiftly weed out dissenters!) :flushed:

Given how the mindless peon workers for Alterra adore them and their executive officers bend over backwards for them, I would say that the Sunbeam and her crew have no ties to Alterra. Maybe they're from another corporation, or more likely just an independent unit instead - as such they would also have different compositions and designs for their ship, and it would likely be far better designed as well. (The Aurora has the Exosuit Bay mere feet from both the crew quarters and the mess hall... that's just a disaster waiting to happen, lol) :lol: