POWER PROBLEMS, FIXED AND IN NEED OF FIXING [FIXED]

baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
edited August 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
As of Experimental Build #50211:

- Battery chargers once again work just fine.
- Power cell chargers, ditto.
- Non-solar-panel power sources, ditto.

Those are the things that work. The things that don't are:

- The Moonpool still does not recharge docked vechicles, although it drains power.
- [EDIT:] The Cyclops does not recharge docked vehicles or drain power.
- Adding a second water filtration machine will drain a base with 4,000 power (3K from solar, 1K from thermal plants on a lava geyser) dry during the middle of the day, with water getting to 39% complete and salt 78%.
- In the above scenario, once night falls and the solar panels cannot be recharged, the thermal plants' power recharge rate takes over and the lights can stay on (just don't try to fabricate anything).
- A single filtration machine doesn't even come close to draining even half that much power during the day. A sole one drains approximately 170 power before it gets to 39% complete on water and 78% complete on salt. Adding a second one seems to induce some sort of extremely high multiplicative effect.

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    With two bioreactors and one water machine, it seems I was very slowly losing power. It only became an issue when, through various activities, I used up available power within the base. After that, power wouldn't build up above 1/1000 until I de-rezzed the water machine, then things worked normally.

I remember having a similar problem on XBox. The bioreactors couldn't generate power fast enough. A nuclear reactor, or thermal plants, were able to keep up even with two water machines. That was weeks ago, too.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited June 2017
    Bioreactors are the slowest energy generators in the game. I never bother with them because not only do they take up a whole room, you have to keep restocking them. Put a thermal reactor somewhere where it's 50 to 60 degrees and you'll be amazed at how fast they recharge. This is a new problem, though-- weeks ago, I too was able to run two water filtration machines with no problem.
    That's odd. I've always had that problem with bioreactors. I weeks and weeks ago, I once had four of them in my base and they couldn't keep up with one water filtration machine. Nuclear or thermal had no problems.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    I mean I've never had this problem until recently because I eschew bioreactors entirely. Thermal reactors + power transmitters (if need be) = no more bioreactors, ever (said in Faye-Dunaway-as-Joan-Crawford voice)

It's just that with 4000 power, this shouldn't even be close to a thing that happens.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Bioreactors are the slowest energy generators in the game. I never bother with them because not only do they take up a whole room, you have to keep restocking them. Put a thermal reactor somewhere where it's 50 to 60 degrees and you'll be amazed at how fast they recharge. This is a new problem, though-- weeks ago, I too was able to run two water filtration machines with no problem.

In all my games, I only build bioreactors plus solar and never build thermal. Usually, I have the bioreactor blueprint completed before I head to the floating island. Then, when I build my first base, I just stack five multi purpose rooms on top of each other and put a bioreactor in 3-4 of them. Then, I put my indoor grow beds to the side of each bioreactor and grow melons--which seem to be the best food / fuel in the game. When I grab a melon to satisfy my own hunger / thirst, I also check the fuel in the bioreactor. To me, it seems easy as pie.

Well, until the developers decided they didn't want Subnautica to be a copy of Farmville and heavy penalized farmers by flooding the base every time you picked up a melon.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    In my game, (Stable build), my Moonpool will recharge the Seamoth with no issue, and the power drain is far slower than before. (The energy usage is the same, just it won't cripple your supply now). However Thermal Plants are worse then before (they charge up slower) and Water Filtration Machines are near-useless. With four Thermal Plants I have 2000 base power, if I build just one WFM the power will fall swiftly from 2000/2000 to 1/2000 before a single Big Water is made. I have to have NINE Thermal Plants running to generate a net gain in power while it's generating water and salt. Hopefully this problem will be resolved soon as the WFM are incredibly useless now.

Bioreactors are my go-to choice of power sources in areas where thermal energy is impractical. It is true they can run out of fuel, but just load it up with 16 fish. The sea base won't use power and therefore won't consume fuel if your power is capped. Solar panels are incredibly useful now, borderline OP as they hold 500 power each and gather power than what is realistic now. (Surface-level SP gather energy faster than TP did in the previous Stable update). SP are still broken, as they can be fully constructed to 100% then Deconstructed below 25% - they’ll work normally with zero material investment despite defying normal logic.

Hopefully these issues will be resolved soon, as the current gameplay logic really makes Subnautica frustrating to play, let alone enjoy.
    @Tarkannen: This thread only applies to the Experimental build.
    Quick update: I'm on Experimental build#50307 right now and it appears I can run 2 water filtration plants with only 2K power, but that's coming from thermal plants only-- I'll do more testing later.

The Moonpool still does not recharge a docked Seamoth. I'll update after I do more testing.
    @garath: The best fuel according to the wiki is Floaters (found wherever Reefbacks are pooping huge rocks). But "best fuel" just means you'll be replacing it less often; last I checked the recharge rate was still too slow to justify my using them; the need to keep refueling doesn't really fit my playstyle, so I eschew them (and nuclear power too). Unfortunately, you can't cure marblemelons, so I usually have a tank or two full of Reginalds for me to eat on the go. To me, areas sufficiently hot are easily enough scouted by eyeball/thermometer, but that's a great thing about this game-- there's no One True Way to play it.

I've only rarely had the "harvest a plant, damage your base" issue, and that's only when harvesting with a knife. In the beginning of games I tend to grow all my food on a raised platform anyway; external grow beds have a greater capacity than the indoor ones.
    edited July 2017
    Can confirm that the solar power/thermal generator/2 filtration machines issue is fixed.

Spoke too soon, apparently.
  • pixel_pusherpixel_pusher at may house Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231542Members
    i built a base , put up a few rooms scanner room fabricator ect
    i put up some solar panels up they worked fine for about 2 in game days and then the power just reads 0/0 or 0/700
    the point is even though the solar panels say that they have charge in them the base doesn't .
    i built a base , put up a few rooms scanner room fabricator ect
    i put up some solar panels up they worked fine for about 2 in game days and then the power just reads 0/0 or 0/700
    the point is even though the solar panels say that they have charge in them the base doesn't .

I'm not having this issue at all. Are you on build #50211 or later (we're up to 50312)? If you're running stable, this doesn't apply.
    @garath: The best fuel according to the wiki is Floaters (found wherever Reefbacks are pooping huge rocks). But "best fuel" just means you'll be replacing it less often; last I checked the recharge rate was still too slow to justify my using them; the need to keep refueling doesn't really fit my playstyle, so I eschew them (and nuclear power too). Unfortunately, you can't cure marblemelons, so I usually have a tank or two full of Reginalds for me to eat on the go. To me, areas sufficiently hot are easily enough scouted by eyeball/thermometer, but that's a great thing about this game-- there's no One True Way to play it.

I've only rarely had the "harvest a plant, damage your base" issue, and that's only when harvesting with a knife. In the beginning of games I tend to grow all my food on a raised platform anyway; external grow beds have a greater capacity than the indoor ones.

What crops are you growing in the external growbeds? In particular, which crops obtained from the Floating Island can be grown in the external growbeds?

Marblemelons, Bulbo Trees, Lantern Trees, and Chinese Potatoes. (When I say "raised platform" I mean above sea level.)
    Marblemelons, Bulbo Trees, Lantern Trees, and Chinese Potatoes. (When I say "raised platform" I mean above sea level.)

You do perhaps realize this is a game about building bases underwater? So, when you make comments about stuff, maybe you should acknowledge that you aren't experiencing the same behavior as the rest of us because you are ONLY building bases above sea level.

*SIGH*

"this is a game about building bases underwater"

No. I mean, you *can* do that, and it's important to do that in order to advance the story, but that's not what the game is about. Also, my base proper is under the water, but I enjoy having my solar panels not be, so while I was up there, I stuck a growbed there on the platform and noticed the difference. I'm just sharing knowledge; calm down, okay?
    "this is a game about building bases underwater"

No. I mean, you *can* do that, and it's important to do that in order to advance the story, but that's not what the game is about. Also, my base proper is under the water, but I enjoy having my solar panels not be, so while I was up there, I stuck a growbed there on the platform and noticed the difference. I'm just sharing knowledge; calm down, okay?

Your knowledge is incomplete and inaccurate. That's all I'm saying.
    The fact remains you can grow food in an external growbed. There are many external growbeds on the Floating Island doing exactly that. I don't know what's incomplete or inaccurate about that, but whatever. This is all off-topic anyway.
    The fact remains you can grow food in an external growbed. There are many external growbeds on the Floating Island doing exactly that. I don't know what's incomplete or inaccurate about that, but whatever. This is all off-topic anyway.

See earlier post. This is a game about building bases underwater. Posting and saying external growbeds hold more food than interior growbeds is incomplete unless you mention the fact you can only grow most food crops if you build your base on the floating island. In my experience, the vast majority of people build underwater bases. Thus, when talking only about underwater bases, the statement you can grow more food in exterior than interior hovers on the line between incomplete and just plain wrong.

garath wrote: »
    Posting and saying external growbeds hold more food than interior growbeds is incomplete unless you mention the fact you can only grow most food crops if you build your base on the floating island.

Not only is this wrong, but when did I ever say you had to do that? Because that's not what I'm doing. Where exactly do you think I put my Moonpool? UNDER THE WATER.

You are really taking serious issue with the fact that-- and seriously, this only applies to early-game bases-- I connect my MOSTLY UNDERWATER BASE to a platform that's above the water. Are you aware that there's no One True Way to play this game?

This shouldn't even be controversial because aside from the hilltop abandoned bases, all the Marblemelons and Chinese Potatoes on the Floating Island are growing outside, in an external growbed. I guess the Degasi survivors were playing Subnautica wrong, too?

Feel free to have the last word about this particular issue if you like, but I'm going to continue discussing the topic of this post when I have new information about it.
    edited July 2017
    Nah. You can have the last word. You are doing an awesome job reporting bugs. Keep up the good work. Keep the bug reports coming. Don't want to distract you any more with this.

My issue was me personally misunderstanding your first statement. I thought you were saying you could grow all the food crops in an exterior grow bed placed underwater outside your base. I just misunderstood what you meant by your first post.

Again, you are doing a great job on the bug reports. So, I have no problem saying I was wrong and stopping my comments so you can keep going with just the bug reports--some of which I see referenced on the Trello!
    From the Trello link: "For funzies, add a second water filtration machine"

Funzies, technical term.
    *comes back to life*

That reminds me-- the Moonpool appears to have been fixed, so I need to test that and some other things. Been a little busy; death in the family.
    edited July 2017
    Did a little more testing on the WFM because a single one managed to drain an entire 7,000 power and noticed something interesting-- it takes ~200 power to produce a first salt cube and ~1700 power to produce a second. Clearly, something is off here. I'll do similar testing with water production soon.
    edited July 2017
    It takes 1500 power for a first bottle of water. On the second bottle, 1500 power only gets you to 18% of a bottle; 39% is when the power starts cycling between 0 and some nonzero number. Clearly, it's the second bottle and second salt cube that account for the stupendous power drain.

[EDIT:] I should explain my methodology-- I started off with a machine whose filtration was complete, then I removed the salt and the salt only. I waited until power got back up to 7,000 and it was nice and sunny outside, then removed the two water bottles only. 4K of the power generated comes from solar, 3K from thermal.
  • theprimordialtheprimordial Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231375Members
    Looks like if you re-plug a camera drone back into the scanner room, it has the same power issue; doesn't charge but drains infinitely. And much, much faster than anything I've ever seen! My base of 4500 power was drained entirely in only 3 or 4 seconds!
    Looks like if you re-plug a camera drone back into the scanner room, it has the same power issue; doesn't charge but drains infinitely. And much, much faster than anything I've ever seen! My base of 4500 power was drained entirely in only 3 or 4 seconds!

Are you experiencing this on build #50441 or later?
  • theprimordialtheprimordial Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231375Members