My forth run through the game. (160h total)

WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
I've replayed this marvelous game AGAIN :smiley:

Gameplay

- Resources gathering is much less frustrating than before. Finally, Quartz collecting is reasonable and silver too. Copper is still overused Copper wire should use only ONE copper. That would be better.
- Oxygen tank system is better and more coherent.
- The ultra big oxygen tank is only 20 more than the beginning upgraded one. That's quite strange as you need the long waited modification station.
- Wreck exploration is much less needed. It seems the wrecks have been changed : many of them seems identical (I don't remember that), with not much in it. I found them much less interesting. I even didn't bother getting the coordinates on the Wiki.
- I stumbled on the modification station by chance. It's sad we get so many recipe for it and aren't able to use them because of this late coming modification table.
- Warper are an harassment. Exploring some location (like the castle) is painful.
- Grand reef cave exploration was painful. It took me ONE HOUR to find the base, being harassed by warpers and crabs without no way to dispose of them. Further more, some decoration plants (corail ?) were given some hitbox so it's quite impossible to walk with the prawn.
- I found dozens of tooths on the ground in several locations. Before, it was a pain to get them, now it's way too easy.

Story

The sunbeam is coming too soon. The first part of the game should focus on discovering the biomes by searching the pods. Then exploring the Aurora then the sunbeam, the contacted by the creature.

When sunbeam arrives, we are not immersed in the story yet.

Bases

- Please add rotation on Ladders and Moonpool !
- In some cases I couldn't add a big room on top of another, I don't know why.
- Room "legs" don't work nicely. I had legs pending in the void on the moopool. Sometime all of them were displayed, sometime only 2 of them even the moonpool was above a cliff.
- Big lockers can't be cleanly stuck to the wall. especially in the Cyclops.
- When you place a hull reinforcement, wall attached stuff (i.e. constructor) is partially IN the hull reinforcement. That looks ugly.
- Strangely I had several water leaks in my base even though the hull integrity was largely positive. I added a door and the problem never occurred again.
- Again, hull integrity should be displayed on a in-game buildable thing. You have to build something to see it displayed. Further more, it's a internal game thing, not a player oriented gameplay.
- Base should have an automatic beacon included in the radio/communication device
- Sonar room is better but still useless. The signals stays on even you picked items, thus making false positive which ruin your game experience.

Cyclops
- New Cyclop is not so nice. We are often attacked and you can't do much : Activate shield and then run silent. Decoys are useful, but cost too much to build. Size and cost is ridicule.
- Communication and heal built in Cyclops hang in the air.
- Cyclops locked are ridiculously small. I don't even use them. The should AT LEAST be like regular wall locker.

Prawn
- Some events triggered by character, are not triggered when in prawn. Examples : the elevator in the Gun facility, the light ramp in the prison facility.
- I took a teleporter with the prawn and all beacons went totaly invisible with no way to display them again. I had to reload a save.

Graphics
- Thermometer should be integrated into the new IU.
- Seamoth compass should be identical to character one.
- Cyclops external lights are too bury. We can't see anything
- Seamoth external light is not enough blurry, we don't even see them when near the Seamoth. Thus sometime it's hard to locate the seamoth.
- Prawn external lights are not powerful enough.

Thx for reading.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    • Plz lets not destroy the crafting system any further. Rebalance resources and resource needs!
    • Completely agree on the big oxygen tank and you might be pleased to know it's already changed in Experimental. If I recall correctly, it's now double the lightweight tank.
    • Wrecks haven't changed, except for the big ones getting more elaborate depending on when last you played, but I did get the impression the fragment spawn rate isn't doing so hot right now. Peeps are reporting not being able to find various fragments, and that's aside from the game not saving all blueprint progress.
    • Some warper protection would be nice, yeah.
    • It's not just big lockers. Several if not all non-hanging furniture can only be built a little off the wall. Drives me nuts when building a bed in the interim room because it wouldn't get in front of the door if I could built it against the wall.
    • +1 for having steady view on the hull integrity.
    • Hooking up a signal to the radio is unpleasant for people who use the radio as decoration/roleplay. I rather have a dedicated piece of furniture, if only a one titanium-costing wall-holder to shove a beacon in.
    • UWE's working on the Cyclops 3.0. Updates so far are lockers that are 3x6 (regular wall lockers are 5x6, I'm personally willing to settle for 4x6, but 3x6 is still not enough imo) and bonesharks, prowlers, and lizards won't attack anymore.
    • I'd love for the elevator to work with the PRAWN too! I mean, one of the PRAWN's selling points is walking on land, so a hiccup like this is jarring. The beacon thing is a bug; you might have noticed more bugs in the end parts of the game. UWE had to get the update out for the sale and I assume all of it will be fixed next update.
  • kornitonkorniton Join Date: 2017-06-23 Member: 231297Members
    I say tripple the resources needed for every recipe. As once you craft them all it gets boring.
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    korniton wrote: »
    I say tripple the resources needed for every recipe. As once you craft them all it gets boring.

I know the game and it took me 25h to play it though it's actual state. Tripling the requirements would only make the game much more boring.

Getting resources is quite balanced except maybe for Copper. Sure, several resources seems useless (sulfur, mercury, nickel...) but the overall is fine.

Subnautica is not Minecraft underwater.
    Yeah, I don't know if korniton's being sarcastic or not, but obvs I don't mean that. My point is that I'd like for gathering and crafting to be fun on its own rather than a means to an end, which it has steadily become and makes the game unfun to me. Surely a balance should be possible.

Adding copper wire to the computer chip recipe was a mistake on top of older mistakes. I don't want another patch job amending that -- I want the problem to finally be dealt with at its roots.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Wait a second, hold up.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    and bonesharks, prowlers, and lizards won't attack anymore.

Really? They're making the Cyclops even more invulnerable? Seriously? Were mid-sized predators really a large enough problem for the Cyclops to make them harmless to it?

Come on, really? What was the point in even doing the Silent Running update if the Cyclops was just going to be made invincible again? I could see the problems in the Silent Running update, but I really thought they fixed a lot, if not all, of the Cyclops' previous problems in this update.

The only problem I've ever had with the Cyclops and mid-sized predators was in the ILZ and Lizards. But even then, the ILZ should be a constant challenge, the final boss fight if you will, for Subnautica. Now it's, "Drive to ALZ, blind Sea Dragon with SR, finish game."

Mid-sized predators were the great equalizer for the Cyclops. Once Silent Running is switched on, Leviathan-class predators are pretty much harmless to the Cyclops, and you can just go standard speed right past them. The mid-sized weren't fooled for as long, and they provided a good challenge. For the first time in a long time, I was scared in the Cyclops, but with even more invulnerability, there's no point to fear.

I'm not happy with that change. I hope the devs can look over it and find a good middle ground. Maybe make it so no more than 3-4 predators can attack it at once.
    edited July 2017
    It is not an ideal solution, true, but keeping in mind that SN has to see release in three more updates UWE cannot afford to keep the Cyclops - and that includes critter behavior towards the Cyclops - a focus for much longer. For better or worse, it is a reasonable one what with the ongoing barrage of complaints where we will have to just hope that post-V1.0 some more work can be done and additional critters and areas of interest (there's nothing to do in reaper territory right now) can balance out the gameplay.

Though in case the devs see this, +1 on capping the number of attackers instead.

(For what it's worth, the reaper and phantom have been made more dangerous and ampeels have been added to the lineup of attackers.)
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »

(For what it's worth, the reaper and phantom have been made more dangerous and ampeels have been added to the lineup of attackers.)

Well, I guess that's partially reassuring.
  • FirstEdFirstEd New Mexico Join Date: 2017-06-25 Member: 231340Members
    @Warzouz
    As another fan of the game, I just wanted to respond to the commends you made, just to provide another perspective on the listed items. You gave a great list of items that you felt needed changing, and I just wanted add another perspective to those items.

Gameplay
    - An easier copper wire recipe would be awesome. I also found resource gathering to be well paced.
    - The big O2 tank is also a disappointment, but I think they've already addressed that in experimental, so, yay!
    - I didn't feel this was the case in my playthrough of VotD. Findind wrecks, however, seems to be a big chunk of the gameplay so I'm okay with it taking a while.
    - Warpers are a pain in the butt, but I find them to be a unique and necessary enemy. That threat of being pulled out of the suit changes a situation from being easily navigable to being utterly terrifying.
    - Deep Grand Reef exploring wasn't so bad for me, but I've stopped even attempting taking the Cyclops down there. The Prawn can make short work of the Crabsquids and you can reasonably avoid and deal with the Warpers.

Story
    - I think the Sunbeam coming down soon after the Aurora explosion is necessary. It helps draw the player to the Mountain Island and opens up a lot more of the game. If it didn't happen soon enough, players could get bored wandering around the game. I understand the criticism here completely though. Often I barely have a Seamoth by the time the Sunbeam declares the landing, but I think it helps move the game's narrative forward.

Bases
    - Yeah, also I can't add big rooms on top of one another. Don't know what that's about.
    - Also have had the same problem with too short legs for my structures.
    - Big lockers don't stick next to the wall nicely, but to be fair, I don't expect them to. The interior walls of the Cyclops aren't perfectly vertical, so I'm fine with how they are.
    - I've noticed this too. Like sometimes with windows or something. You start to 'construct' it and it appears off somewhere else... then pops away when the building is finished.
    - Hull integrity display for a base would be nice, but I don't think it's necessary.
    - An internal base beacon would be nice, but again, I don't think it's necessary.
    - I've also had that problem where the scanner room will display items on the HUD after you've picked them up. Also, I wish the scanner room was... more powerful. Plugging one full of upgrades just to do an effective search of an area is incredibly time consuming.

Cyclops
    - The new Cyclops worked fine for me. I think the trick I used was making sure to power down the engine often. Decoys I thought were fine and very useful in an "Oh shit!" sort of situation.
    - Again, your modules built in the cyclops will hang if they're built against a wall (like in the bridge). Yes, part of me is annoyed by this, but I understand why it's happening. It'd be nice to fix but not necessary. Both items can be built flush on the bulkheads.
    - Yeah, the Cyclops lockers pretty much suck.

Prawn
    - Interesting. Never took the Prawn into that Precursor Base, and I never encountered the Light Bridge in the... Prison? You mean the Primary Containment Facility? Either way, never saw a light bridge there.
    - THIS. TOTALLY THIS. Every time I used the portals from the Primary Containment Facility (using the Prawn), I lost all my beacons / markers. SUPER annoying. Obviously a glitch to so, please, please, please fix this.

Graphics
    - I agree with the Thermometer. Could look better.
    - Don't know if I agree with the thing about the Seamoth compass. Kinda' meh on this one.
    - YES! Cyclops external lights are just not good. I love how they look when I'm outside the Cyclops? But from within they're pointless.
    - That's a good criticism. Something where the lights can make the Seamoth more visible from a distance would be okay.
    - Eh... kind of. I'm more irritated that the Prawn lights won't move up and down, just side to side. But, in my head it makes sense because the lights are affixed to the suit.

All in all, some great points brought up. Obviously where is going to be some differences of opinion, but I just wanted to provide another perspective in case anyone was interested.

To be more clear about the warpers : They're not that deadly. The issue is you get constantly harassed and when you manage to escape, they just teleport near you and attack you again. The game experience is painful when you're searching for that damned castle entrance.

It's quite the same with the bone sharks. You just move with the cyclops and they attack you whatever speed you use. Even if you don't move, you're attacked.

But I don't think removing monster attacks is a good thing. The issue is when you're attacked, you have to quit the sub, repair it shoot any monster, reenter and leave. Then you move 100m and it starts over.

I must say I was disappointed. I expected something more fun.
  • FirstEdFirstEd New Mexico Join Date: 2017-06-25 Member: 231340Members
    @Warzouz
    Oh yeah, when I was getting to the Thermal Plant the first time, the Warpers were definitely the biggest challenge. But, to be fair, there wasn't much else challenging about it. Avoiding the Sea Dragon wasn't too bad. Avoiding the Lava Larva wasn't too bad. The Lava Lizards basically leave you alone. So, I was fine that the Warpers were the real dangers.

In fact, I really liked that the game was able to shift the 'threatening' enemy from Stalkers, to Reapers, then to Crabsquids, then to Lava Larva, then to Warpers.

I never had that many problems with the Cyclops, but I can be extremely conservative with it. Creep up to a place, hit Silent Running, get in there, then cut the power immediately when Silent Running runs out. Wait for the cooldown to expire. Fire up the engine. Haul away and then Silent Running when they aggro. Cut the engine again when Silent Running runs out (if I'm not clear). Repeat. Repeat.

But, I guess while that worked for me, it was kinda' tedious. I could see how maybe the 'slow' speed could work a bit better. Seems no matter what speed you go, you can attract a LOT of beasties.

The Lost River was particularly full of enemies, but there I either crept by, one Silent Running cooldown at a time, or I just got out in the Prawn and killed the River Prowlers. They're not too hard to kill. Two bursts of two claws is all it takes. And they don't respawn.

Can be a pain in the ass but, without it, would the game just be too easy? I kind of appreciated that you kind of had to 'work' at an area to get it to yield what it had.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    This seems like a likely place to add this. For what it may be worth:

Things I don't use in subnautica. I do realize there is and should be more than one way to play. So I am not outright advocating getting rid of these.

1. I never make the scanner room. I find no use for it. I did make one when they first came out but they did nothing I couldn't do on my own and I have better use of the resources.
    2. I never make hull reinforcement modules. Maybe I should? Haven't had anything blow up on me.
    3. I stopped using silent running now that it is on a short timer. It doesn't seem to do anything anyway.
    4. I do not make the reinforced dive suit.
    5. Cyclops speed makes no difference, you always cavitate. I simply don't change speed from normal anymore. Flank causes fires and slow is slow with monster attracting noise.
    6. I don't use torpedoes on anything.
    7. I don't use decoys.
    8. I use only the most air containing tanks I can. I don't use the light weight variety.
    9. I don't build windows in my bases. In fact, I build 2 bases. One to build up near the shallows and one near the lost river tree, though I do that only because of tradition at this point. There is no actual need for it.
    10. I don't build reinforced walls. I find that a foundation and a room is enough to keep integrity > 0.
    11. I do find I run off the end of the world often. It is all dark and I don't know I've done it until I have been diving for longer than I feel I should have.
    12. Speaking of dark. I turn off the cyclops lights as they hinder visibility rather than enhance.

Having said all that, I do enjoy the game. I have played up through the "not yet implemented" enzymes.
  • SilentmanSilentman Bratislava, Slovakia Join Date: 2017-06-05 Member: 230963Members
    Warzouz wrote: »

Story

The sunbeam is coming too soon. The first part of the game should focus on discovering the biomes by searching the pods. Then exploring the Aurora then the sunbeam, the contacted by the creature.

When sunbeam arrives, we are not immersed in the story yet.

I just bought the game recently and I absolutely agree. The beginning of the game is already full of events like the lifepods, Aurora exploding and just getting to know the enviroment. With the Sunbeam it becomes quite....burdening getting all these events and not having enough time to digest them. Especialy for a new player.

On the other hand you realy need more storage at that point so you need to go to the island.
    Not sure what would be the ideal solution.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    BDelacroix wrote: »
    This seems like a likely place to add this. For what it may be worth:

Things I don't use in subnautica. I do realize there is and should be more than one way to play. So I am not outright advocating getting rid of these.

1. I never make the scanner room. I find no use for it. I did make one when they first came out but they did nothing I couldn't do on my own and I have better use of the resources.
    2. I never make hull reinforcement modules. Maybe I should? Haven't had anything blow up on me.
    3. I stopped using silent running now that it is on a short timer. It doesn't seem to do anything anyway.
    4. I do not make the reinforced dive suit.
    5. Cyclops speed makes no difference, you always cavitate. I simply don't change speed from normal anymore. Flank causes fires and slow is slow with monster attracting noise.
    6. I don't use torpedoes on anything.
    7. I don't use decoys.
    8. I use only the most air containing tanks I can. I don't use the light weight variety.
    9. I don't build windows in my bases. In fact, I build 2 bases. One to build up near the shallows and one near the lost river tree, though I do that only because of tradition at this point. There is no actual need for it.
    10. I don't build reinforced walls. I find that a foundation and a room is enough to keep integrity > 0.
    11. I do find I run off the end of the world often. It is all dark and I don't know I've done it until I have been diving for longer than I feel I should have.
    12. Speaking of dark. I turn off the cyclops lights as they hinder visibility rather than enhance.

Having said all that, I do enjoy the game. I have played up through the "not yet implemented" enzymes.

I never build foundations. They are a waste of resources once you know where lithium can be found. Rather than build foundations, it is much more cost effective to build the reinforcement modules. If you aren't using reinforcement modules, it's a VERY good thing you aren't building windows since windows seem to drop the hull integrity quite a bit. :)

I usually build my bases vertical rather than horizontal. After watching a cool YouTube video, I discovered the awesomeness of building stacks of Multipurpose Rooms. Back before they added the animations, you could climb ladders instantly. This made travel from room to room super fast. I just build all my hull reinforcements modules in either the top most or bottom most Multi Purpose Room that I never plan to use for anything other than hull reinforcement. This gives the entire base enough insane amount of strength for me to mount windows EVERY WHERE so I can see out. (It helps knowing where to collect infinite amounts of quartz for the windows.)

Foundations are only good for two things:

1. Place to put my exterior grow beds for my creepvines, mushrooms, etc.
    2. Parking for my Seamoth before I build a Moon Pool.

Other than those two, I never ever build foundations. Again, stacking Multi Purpose Rooms rather than building connecting corridors keeps base integrity high until I go find some lithium for reinforcements. Once I have lithium, my base integrity is usually insanely high even after adding windows EVERY WHERE.

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members

Bases

- Please add rotation on Ladders and Moonpool !
    - In some cases I couldn't add a big room on top of another, I don't know why.
    - Room "legs" don't work nicely. I had legs pending in the void on the moopool. Sometime all of them were displayed, sometime only 2 of them even the moonpool was above a cliff.
    - Big lockers can't be cleanly stuck to the wall. especially in the Cyclops.
    - When you place a hull reinforcement, wall attached stuff (i.e. constructor) is partially IN the hull reinforcement. That looks ugly.
    - Strangely I had several water leaks in my base even though the hull integrity was largely positive. I added a door and the problem never occurred again.
    - Again, hull integrity should be displayed on a in-game buildable thing. You have to build something to see it displayed. Further more, it's a internal game thing, not a player oriented gameplay.
    - Base should have an automatic beacon included in the radio/communication device
    - Sonar room is better but still useless. The signals stays on even you picked items, thus making false positive which ruin your game experience.

Rotation of the Moon Pool would be awesome! Plus, just do something / anything to make it easier to connect the Moon Pool to existing bases. It's a total pain now. In my first 3-4 games, I felt like I was always re-building my base from scratch every time I got the Moon Pool because I couldn't figure out how to add the Moon Pool to my existing base. What a pain to have to move everything from place to place. In my later games, I just build a second base once I get the Moon Pool. I found a truly awesome location behind the Aurora.

In general, you can't place Multi Purpose Rooms on top of each other unless they are completely 100% empty. You essentially have to place all the Multi Purpose rooms on top of each other at the very beginning of your base building. It absolutely sucks that you need to know that in advance and plan ahead. If there is anything at all in room, you can't stack them. I've seen Trello notes about it. So, the devs are aware and may fix it before the 10.0 release. Maybe.

Even if they didn't *always* show the hull integrity, it would be awesome if it somehow displayed each time you equip the habitat builder.

An automatic beacon for bases would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've scouted a great location for my second base behind the Aurora and then built a stack of Multi Purpose rooms using all my available Titanium. Then, I go back to my first base by Life Pod 5. It's only then that I realize I forgot to place a Beacon and have to hunt for my second base. S-I-G-H!!! Automatic beacon for bases would totally RULE!! Great suggestion!!

Scanner Room needs some love. When the stars align and you can use it to search for the deposits with Silver, it is so totally cool. Most of the time, though, the alphabetical list only includes stuff you don't care about. If they made the list scroll, the room would be be 10,000x better than it is now.

• MagResPolarBearMagResPolarBear Join Date: 2017-07-09 Member: 231702Members
    Just lost my first Cyclops. That thing is completely invulnerable, right up until it isn't... That "abandon ship" message was SO awesome!
    Just lost my first Cyclops. That thing is completely invulnerable, right up until it isn't... That "abandon ship" message was SO awesome!

Dropping a decoy and switching to silent is EVERY efficient. One, I had 5 creatures gangbanging me? I did that and escaped.

The only issue I have is that you can't do much. Getting out to repair takes a long time. You repair and you're attacked again. The Cyclops don't have real weapon.

As to answer agout the warper. Their teleport attack is fine. The only issue is when you have 2 of them, you get teleported again ass soon as you enter in your vehicle, even you have time to move, especially in the prawn.

The problem is not that I find it hard or stressful, It's only it's painful. Same when you have 3 crabsquit on you back in the grand reef cave and you can't find this damned 3rd base. It's more an harassment.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    As to answer agout the warper. Their teleport attack is fine. The only issue is when you have 2 of them, you get teleported again ass soon as you enter in your vehicle, even you have time to move, especially in the prawn.

Wait for him to attack a little away from your vehicle; once he fires, then get in. Maybe wait until all Warpers in the vicinity have fired at the wrong trajectory if you can.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Regarding room reinforcements: They are double-strength when placed adjacent to a hallway-- 14 strength instead of 7 elsewhere.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    It seems the multipurpose room stacking bug happens if you place things fabricator too high. I found if I placed them lower, it would magically stack again. It is strange, because I'm pretty sure after you add the room, you can place things as high on the walls as you want and it works. I'll third the need for something to tell you what your hull integrity is (other then deconstructing a window - that is a hack). A control unit for seabases like the moonpool has would be perfect for that. And control of the lights could be added at the same time - something I've been wanting forever! Since the lights go off if the base is damaged, it seems like that should be easy to add a manual control that would do that as well.

If you build a scanner room, you get beacons for the cameras, which is sort of an automatic beacon for a seabase. I'll second the need for a scroll bar on the scan in the scanner room too. That really is a big problem. And I surely hope they fix the dreadful disappearing hull upgrade bug with a docked seamoth! I HATE that one - it damages my seamoth every time I leave it at any base below 200 meters. That bug has lasted through several releases, and it really is a bad one.

I've used torpedoes with the Prawn (before the awful torpedo arm bug that makes your prawns lose all upgrades!). If you're drilling for resources in Reaper Land, and one decides to harass you, a vortex torpedo in the face is almost as good as the electric barrier on the Seamoth. It will make them let you go, where nothing else that I know of will.

I also agree with the problems with copper. It's pretty annoying at the beginning of the game finding enough to build what you need. Even beacons require two copper, which is an awful pain before you get the drill arm. I find the Sparse Reef a good place to get copper (lots of limestone), but that's a pretty far away place at the start, pre-seamoth!

I would hate to see them add more keys to get into the PCF. It's hard and dangerous going there with the Cyclops, and it would be amazingly annoying to finally succeed at getting there following the signal, only to find you missed something somewhere and can't get in. That's not fun - it's frustrating.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    A beacon for a base is really needed. Both cameras might be deployed or lost, or the Scanning Room might be removed completely for one reason or another. And that scan list has to get some sort of scrolling.

The real workaround to the depth module bug (which has come back in Experimental >:( ) is parking the Seamoth and PRAWN on an open spot on a base Foundation. The bug only affects docked vessels in the Moonpool or the Cyclops.

Copper does have a very high demand early in the game. It's not really solved until you can do runs to the Sea Treader's Path and find some Sea Treaders there or in the adjacent Grand Reef. When walking they stir up outcroppings that slowly sink back in. If you crack them open, you can get Copper and some Lithium.