Oxygen Tanks in Experimental

JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
Saw on a reddit post there was a minor change in the new Oxygen Tank system. Confirmed it in Experimental 50205 and 50207 on 2017 Jun 29.

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/6k5w40/experimental_ultra_high_capacity_tank_upgraded/

The Ultra High Capacity Oxygen Tank has been increased from 110s to 180s.

This is a welcome change. 225s is almost enough to explore any wreck in a number of swimouts from a nearby vessel with a lot of care.

SAFETY NOTE below about using spare tanks in inventory.

O2 Tank                    Oxygen  Speed    Made With    Components                                         Size  CPI

None                         45s    5.7m/s  -            -                                                   -     -
Standard                    +30s   -0.4m/s  Fabricator   1xGlass, 2xTitanium                                2x3    5
High Capacity               +90s   -0.4m/s  Fabricator   1xStandard O2 Tank, 2xGlass, 4xTitanium, 1xSilver  2x3   15
Lightweight High Capacity   +90s   -0.1m/s  Mod Station  1xHigh Capacity O2 Tank, 1xPlasteel Ingot          2x3   15
Ultra High Capacity        +180s   -0.6m/s  Mod Station  1xHigh Capacity O2 Tank, 4xLithium                 3x3   20

CPI = Capacity Per Inventory-slot.

Speed penalties are doubled for tanks in the inventory.

As for Swimming Speed, the first two seem to have the same drag as the original tank and the last two as the previous Lightweight and High Capacity tanks from the Modification Station.

This is going to make spare tank swimouts more complex. You can't draw oxygen from tanks in the inventory directly. You need to manually swap and will need to either temporarily drop a tank or keep 6 or 9 spots empty in inventory.

EDIT: SAFETY NOTE: Taking a tank out of a Wall Locker (and likely other storage) into Inventory without swapping into the Paperdoll leaves the tank empty.

BEFORE SWIMOUT, CHECK ALL SPARE TANKS FOR FILLING BY PUTTING THEM IN THE PAPERDOLL

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    More of a lightweight user, but this change pleases me. The previous 20s difference was really not enough to justify the ultra.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    edited June 2017
    Yessss, excellent! I was hoping they'd buff it. That is more than enough incentive to use them! I'll gladly use the UHC tanks over LW for wrecks now.

With the new system I don't want to carry more than one tank at a time considering the hassle of switching and making sure they all have air. I can honestly say I went from hating to liking this change.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    An extra 20s was only worth it when using the Seaglide and avoiding swapping tanks. And it was a hassle keeping 6 spaces empty to swap tanks; keeping 9 free would be a real pain.
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    Yes, this is really a very welcome change. With the new oxygen tank list the characteristics of all oxygen tanks are in a good balance. Now i have a damn good reason for using the UHC again. ^^

My first thought after the VOTD update was, that the UHC tank should have 150 seconds. But, well, i will never complain about the extra 30 seconds. B)
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    @Jacke

Update for the official Oxygen Tank list:
    O2 Tank                    Oxygen  Speed    Made With    Components                                         Size  CPI

None                         45s    5.7m/s  -            -                                                   -     -
    Standard                    +30s   -0.4m/s  Fabricator   3xTitanium                                         2x3    5
    High Capacity               +90s   -0.4m/s  Fabricator   1xStandard O2 Tank, 2xGlass, 4xTitanium, 1xSilver  2x3   15
    Lightweight High Capacity   +90s   -0.1m/s  Mod Station  1xHigh Capacity O2 Tank, 1xPlasteel Ingot          2x3   15
    Ultra High Capacity        +180s   -0.6m/s  Mod Station  1xHigh Capacity O2 Tank, 4xLithium                 3x3   20

Then, for my idea about Refill Station and higher capacity exists now a NEXUS mod:

Refillable Oxygen Tanks

The tanks have then the following characteristics:

Standard                   +200s   -0.4m/s  Fabricator   3xTitanium                                         2x3    5
    High Capacity              +400s   -0.4m/s  Fabricator   1xStandard O2 Tank, 2xGlass, 4xTitanium, 1xSilver  2x3   33
    Lightweight High Capacity  +400s   -0.1m/s  Mod Station  1xHigh Capacity O2 Tank, 1xPlasteel Ingot          2x3   33
    Ultra High Capacity        +800s   -0.6m/s  Mod Station  1xHigh Capacity O2 Tank, 4xLithium                 3x3   88

:smile: