Cyclops roof hatch

ExE_BossExE_Boss Join Date: 2017-06-23 Member: 231293Members
This would make it easier to get into the Aurora and onto the islands without needing to enter Reaper infested waters (the Floating Island is the only one without Reapers, but it has Warpers instead).

Plus, it is more realistic that way and it was in the original concept art.
latest?cb=20150718203853

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited June 2017
    ExE_Boss wrote: »
    Plus, it is more realistic that way

How's this?

Imagine it in a real-life submarine. Most of the time, the openings are found at the top of the sub, I'll give you that. But what you've forgetting is that it only opens when the sub is either at the surface or out of water; in any way, if it opened while it was underwater, guess what would gush straight inside the sub and kill anyone inside(?)

That's something that has always bugged me with bases too, idk if letting people build hatches on the roof of bases is a good idea. I mean, the water would still gush in if it was on the side, but we could let that be for gameplay purposes.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members

How's this?

Imagine it in a real-life submarine. Most of the time, the openings are found at the top of the sub, I'll give you that. But what you've forgetting is that it only opens when the sub is either at the surface or out of water; in any way, if it opened while it was underwater, guess what would gush straight inside the sub and kill anyone inside(?)

That's something that has always bugged me with bases too, idk if letting people build hatches on the roof of bases is a good idea. I mean, the water would still gush in if it was on the side, but we could let that be for gameplay purposes.

aye, its the only reason the moonpool doesn't work for the cyclops, also some military submarines have airlocks to let people out when submerged as well as the dry hatch used when surfaced

the cyclops needs a dry hatch or a top hatch used when the sub is fully surfaced on the surface or in the precursor moonpool

which brings up the question of what happened to precursor vehicles sense the had a moonpool and they had to get around to build their stuff in the first place

r94il57624gy.jpg

the only reason i disagreed is because that art looks like it goes to one of the larger submarines that was abandoned as their is a corridor to ether another room or theirs an airlock on the side
    @ ExE_Boss could you post a larger pic
  • NecrovoreNecrovore Twisty Bridges Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231359Members
    A hatch on top would serve as a nice access point for docking with a seabase. Just have a module placed on the bottom of a basic compartment that would auto connect to the hatch as the cyclops comes underneath. Might look a bit nicer then that straight on connection they were looking at with some of the current docking ideas.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Considering the fact that it's a SUBMARINE, I think that this makes plenty of sense.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members

How's this?

Do a Google image search for "submarine hatch" - notice anything? The hatches are SPECIFICALLY designed so that water pressure makes opening them impossible underwater.

Besides, even the lower hatch SHOULD flood the Cyclops if you open it even a little deep. The hatches are obviously all magic anyway.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

Besides, even the lower hatch SHOULD flood the Cyclops if you open it even a little deep. The hatches are obviously all magic anyway.

Skip to 3:05:
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    I think the devs have too much to do, and this is far to be a priority, not even QOL.
    But I do love the idea of standing atop my submarines (to like, get into a dingy boat **wink**wink**)

Maybe if the Cyclops get its "docking" it could be from the top as well ? (it would after all, lead where there is the most place and still allow to drop the carried vehicle.
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    I think the devs have too much to do, and this is far to be a priority, not even QOL.
    But I do love the idea of standing atop my submarines (to like, get into a dingy boat **wink**wink**)

Maybe if the Cyclops get its "docking" it could be from the top as well ? (it would after all, lead where there is the most place and still allow to drop the carried vehicle.

+1 for a roof docking hatch (maybe not usable when undocked)
    even without a docking ring for underwater it is almost too easy to create a "dock" to pull the cyclops up to, as you look at it the conning tower needs to be shortened and redesign to add a hatch

fzic5nx5fylr.jpg
    bx9mr92uyen0.jpg
    qzcw9mt5m5yn.jpg
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Yeah, It's almost like they planned it then abandoned it midway.