Update 316 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2017 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 316 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Happy Summer everyone! We are back with another update and this time our focus was based on the theme of Fix and Polish. There are plenty of changes throughout the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2017
    + 1 I think. I am first. everyone else is playing the game :-)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Great patch, I'm sure the news of the boneshield nerf/re-purpose and the gorge movement change will be very popular!
  • leodleod China Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209430Members
    sheeeeeeeeeeee, i noticed a 64bit built test download, will that be soon available?
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    On paper great balance changes.

What a disaster allowing rookies to play on non-rookie servers though. I hope server ops quickly apply restrictions on veteran servers with high skills to keep skill segregation and thus not harm player retention.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Just a fun snippet from the changelog:
    You can utilize it defensively ... or offensively (decoy / bait to assist teammates, or faking out an enemy in 1v1)

Only if HP bars werent a thing :P
    Can we remove them please?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2017
    Decreased the air friction from 0.8 to 0.2 so the Gorge doesn’t move like a brick while jumping.

about damn time tbh. who would've guessed I knew what I was talking about the past four times I suggested this exact change

edit: air acceleration is unchanged so you can't turn very well with it, but you can still gain 1-2 full speed points by jumping like this as opposed to just sliding straight on the ground.

just so im clear to people that watch it, with this patch you can still gain additional speed by jumping like this (right->shift->turn->jump) you just can't freely move around in the air like you see me doing in the video. what this patch does is lets you maintain higher speed for longer while in the air, which helps with escaping.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2017
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Just a fun snippet from the changelog:
    You can utilize it defensively ... or offensively (decoy / bait to assist teammates, or faking out an enemy in 1v1)

Only if HP bars werent a thing :P
    Can we remove them please?
    giphy.gif

We've been here and it didn't end well :tongue:
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Wob wrote: »

What a disaster allowing rookies to play on non-rookie servers though. I hope server ops quickly apply restrictions on veteran servers with high skills to keep skill segregation and thus not harm player retention.

Limiting rookies to rookie servers could mean that there's no real games for them to play on. Getting them on a populated server is more important than getting them on a rookie server if there are no populated rookie servers.
  • GorgeCScottGorgeCScott USA Join Date: 2015-12-12 Member: 209912Members
    So the marine nerf is? Still have MG and cheap dual exos, which were the "counter to boneshield buff..." Should have allowed some armor regen to continue rather than succumbing to the crybabies. Ah, the screaming of the Onos still haunts me, Dr. Lector...

And all the rookies that were finally getting the hang of Onos play -- RIP!!!

All IMHO of course!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2017
    Wob wrote: »

We still want rookies to play on rookie only servers. This change was made so experienced players can play with their rookie friends. EDIT: And yes, like Moultano says: we don't want rookies put onto an empty server. :(
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    This looks like a really great patch!
    • Reduced the base max speed to 6.6 (from 7.5) and the base max Charge speed to 10.5 (from 11.5).
    • This reverts back to Build 253 values to have the Onos commit more to a map position to hold it, instead of being able to easily rotate between two positions and therefore be the jack of all trades in the late game.

I guess my days as Onos-overcommitment-Houdini are over :(

It's a good change, though. Oni need to be easier to kill.
    Also, 253? Damn. That was a long time ago.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited June 2017
    So the marine nerf is? Still have MG and cheap dual exos, which were the "counter to boneshield buff..."

^^ Exactly... Combined with the speed nerf it is now 100+ times harder to fight Marines as Onos.... Especially in regards to exo's. You're so slow that just trying to do something like help your team push into a room, carries an insanely high risk of being chased and gunned down trying to escape. (so basically NEVER go Onos anymore without both charge and celerity!!)

Speaking of the boneshield change... I don't get why they made it only negate 80% damage, AND it consumes energy during use (so you have the double whammy of losing both health and energy)

It should either negate like 95-100% of (forward) damage but drain energy (so it's limited use determined by energy)
    or
    It should negate like 75-80% (forward) damage but only require a burst of energy to use (so it's limited use determined by health)

The way it stands now it seems like boneshield has basically been pushed back to the realm of being completely useless for like 99% of players, with only the most god-like among us being skilled enough to utilize it effectively.

All that being said.. it is nice that they swapped the training and server browser buttons... I figured that suggestion was just brushed off.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    uhm, mofo and gorgecscott... do you not remember onosplosions? this is a great change and long over-due.

i hope to be lighting you all up in game soon.

thx for solid patch, crew.
    edited June 2017
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    The way it stands now it seems like boneshield has basically been pushed back to the realm of being completely useless for like 99% of players, with only the most god-like among us being skilled enough to utilize it effectively.
    So... like everything else in this game? ;):D That sounds like my fade.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2017
    moultano wrote: »
    So... like everything else in this game? ;):D
    If only.

Would be nice if Onos would require atleast a minimum of mechanical skill other than landing your Gores.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited June 2017
    2cough wrote: »
    uhm, mofo and gorgecscott... do you not remember onosplosions? this is a great change and long over-due.

i hope to be lighting you all up in game soon.

thx for solid patch, crew.

See this is the problem!!

We're not saying the nerf isn't needed... An Onos nerf was needed BADLY

What we're saying is that this is overboard.. especially considering the buffs they've made to Marines (exo in particular) to combat Onosplosion.

But because Onosplosion and boneshield have been a problem, everyone instantly brushes off any criticism as "Onos needed a nerf, this is great!"

Well now they have a nerf so huge, they aren't even worth the 62+ res anymore...
  • coinecoine Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58631Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great update, thank you! Dont forget to announce it on steam forums, twitter etc :)
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    See this is the problem!!

We're not saying the nerf isn't needed... An Onos nerf was needed BADLY

What we're saying is that this is overboard.. especially considering the buffs they've made to Marines (exo in particular) to combat Onosplosion.

But because Onosplosion and boneshield have been a problem, everyone instantly brushes off any criticism as "Onos needed a nerf, this is great!"

Well now they have a nerf so huge, they aren't even worth the 62+ res anymore...

I'm sorry, but this is plain wrong... have you even TRIED the change?

I mean sure, you can't run in and solo 4 marines while escaping being chased by 2 marines anymore... but that was the problem, you shouldn't have been able to do that in the first place.

the onos movement nerf isn't that bad tbh, I'm still able to escape relatively easily. The boneshield re-purpose is a good change, it makes boneshield more situational and less "LOL, selfhealz!" think of it as a way to close the gap between you and a group of marines on a PG, your team can gather up behind you and you just soak the damage.

play with it for a few days and you'll see that you are massively over-dramatising the nerf.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Is there a reason the game is still commercially sold but there are no official servers?

I think this would contravene a few trade laws in most countries - this is not a public multiplayer game, this is a personal server invite based game.
    The gorge changes are AWESOME. I feel like a nimble little piggy now instead of a stubby-legged bowling ball.

I saw the new boneshield used for its intended purpose, advancing on a position while drawing fire away from the rest of the team, and it seemed to work pretty well.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2017
    Hmm ok changes this time.
    Swapped the button positions for “Server Browser” and “Training” in the Play Menu, to make the mouse travel distance significantly less from the main menu to the play menu.
    Good. Next, remove that middleman screen please.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    The boneshield nerf is fine imo but I have no idea how the slower onos feels like. Pretty sure an onos will lose to 3 marines and will lose against 2 marines if marines have catpacks (depends on the room I guess) so onos is alot more dependant on lifeforms and can't hold/push lanes on it's own anymore which sounds rly nice tbh
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The new Onos boneshield feels great. You are so mobile while using it. I think using it will add another tactical layer to Oni; retreating with boneshield should make up for the lower speed. Let's see where this goes.
  • ruprechtruprecht Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184022Members
    Onos has zero escape-ability. Fade balls are back.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    ruprecht wrote: »

Alien commander can use bonewall to help with that. Bonewalls are more important now. You also need to work together with the onos.
    edited June 2017
    ruprecht wrote: »

Fades still suck at killing structures. That alone prevents fade balls.

edit: ...where "fade ball" is "the whole team goes fade except for maybe a lerk"