The current knives

jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
edited May 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
So the knives no longer have durability but because of this the harden blade is pretty much useless now. The thermal blade cooks food and does more damage. While the harden blade just does more damage than the normal knife but less than the thermal. The game isn't about killing but this makes the harden useless since it is A LOT cheaper to craft a thermal than the hardenblade. Maybe make it so the thermal blade doesn't stay hot forever. After a while it cools down and turns back into a normal knife. And maybe make the harden blade have something special. Maybe like the harden blade let's you get more materials when harvesting.

Comments

• tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Simple fix might be to swap the damage of the two knives. Near inifinite sharpness on the hardend blade. I was okay with the durability thing and actually still have two hardend blades in my inventory from making a second one when the first had 4% durability before patch. But I guess they are going in the trash for a thermoblade now that I know they do more damage and I can cook and eat on the fly. Even a battery requirement isn't going to deter me from the thermo, because I always have a spare battery and don't even need swim fins for recharging.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Okay but the harden one will still be useless since there is no point of killing the creatures with it. The thermal cooks fauna if they can be cooked. Just because the harden one does more damage doesn't make it better
    edited May 2017
    Okay but the harden one will still be useless since there is no point of killing the creatures with it. The thermal cooks fauna if they can be cooked. Just because the harden one does more damage doesn't make it better

True. I would like to see the durabilty return and the hardened blade never break. I think a spear or harpoon gun might be nice to toy with, but then it's talking about new assets and mechanics for something that may as well just be taken out.

Knives tend to scare away some critters. Maybe extended fear duration based on weapon, or more creatures flee from the diamond damage.

Or as Fathorn suggested: Thermo increasing aggro range might work, but generally I don't have a knife out unless something is coming up, but I guess that could work to bring in more threats while fighting 1v1.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    There is not gonna be a harpoon gun though. Unless it is a mod.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Swapping the damages so the hardened blade does more damage than the thermal would solve the issue imho, since then you have the option of using the thermal to flash cook things for killing, or do more damage with the hardened blade, which also makes sense given the thermal blade would cauterize any wounds it inflicts, minimizing the overall damage from an otherwise potentially fatal injury that would cause rapid exsanguination.
    edited June 2017
    Silveressa wrote: »
    Swapping the damages so the hardened blade does more damage than the thermal would solve the issue imho, since then you have the option of using the thermal to flash cook things for killing, or do more damage with the hardened blade, which also makes sense given the thermal blade would cauterize any wounds it inflicts, minimizing the overall damage from an otherwise potentially fatal injury that would cause rapid exsanguination.

Hmmm. Got me thinking about bleed effects. It would be pretty slick if the hardened blade wounded. So say you slice a stalker and it swims away, it would then be seen as "hostile" to other stalkers and they try to kill the easy target, or blood frenzy, or whatever. The thermal blade would cauterize so you would lose the mechanic. It might make the thermal blade a question on even wanting it over the standard knife in some situations.

Just a thought, but it could it be very overpowered and fairly easy to keep zones clear of some predators. Does sound like a fun couple hours fighting stuff though.
  • NansenNansen Join Date: 2017-06-02 Member: 230896Members
    Wait does knives have infinte durability? I have used up many knives (not tried the fancy ones due to not seeing the point of them as stated do not use knives to damage things)
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    @Nansen Since only the knive used this feature, they consider it useless, so the knives don't have durability anymore in experimental.
    @Wiirlak Oh I do not play experimental, thx for info. It makes sense, it is no problem making new knives it is only tedious if it happens when you need it and dont have a spare.
    @Nansen I agree with the devs to get rid of the durability, but the hardened knife is useless now ..

@tommy21toes The devs won't add a bleeding effect, it is against their ideas about weapons; And personaly, I don't like that either, the trill of being face to face with a creature you can't kill is awesome.
    Yeah I do agree with the bleeding part. They could just make it so the diamond does the most damage and one special ability. While the thermal does the 2nd most damage and with the ability to still cook food.
    @Wiirlak @jamintheinfinite_1 I agree, the hardened knife should deal the most damage. What I think they should introduce is that in the deeper parts of the world you need a Hardened knife to break upen stones to get the minerals inside. Most player probably do not care to try to kill things, so then damage is useless, but this would make it viable and necessary.
    edited June 2017
    Maybe harden blade is required to break obsidian crops

I totally didn't steal that idea from a old game that I played when I was 9 but don't really play anormore today *cough* minecraft *cough*
    @Fathom that is a great idea ! That would really separate the knive, making one usefull depending the situation. I think that's the spirit of the game.
  • FlanpanFlanpan UK Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230681Members
    edited June 2017
    Fathom wrote: »
    A way to distinguish them may be to add an armor mechanic. So the Hardened Knife is effective against both soft and armored opponents, while the Thermal Blade, despite doing more damage in general, only does that against soft targets.

I think it would be rather cool if creatures had damage negation / resistance on different parts of their body; making certain tools a necessity to even drive them off. Take a Stalker for example: on the snout and back it has hardened plates with a purple colouring, so it would make sense if you bounced off of them with a regular knife.
    Needing a battery for the thermal blade and having armored ennemies would really separate the knives
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I feel like the thermal knife would need a different graphic if it had a battery - you can see the batteries on many tools and they are quite large, almost larger than the entire knife. :)

I agree with the people who are saying that the balance that makes sense is "thermal knife insta-kills and cooks small/cookable creatures but doesn't do much to larger creatures, hardened knife does meaningful damage to larger creatures/scares them off with fewer hits".

Having a knife that you could actually reasonably win a fight against a sandshark or boneshark would be cool.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    I don't have any ideas just yet, but it might be nice to have the ability to do different things with the hardened blade, or other blades. I don't have any real ideas just yet. The thermal blade cooks stuff you kill. Maybe the hardened blade can make it possible to craft certain things within the inventory menu if you have it in your inventory. Just like you have an option to eat, drink, or throw something away, it can just be another button. I guess maybe if you need copper, you can crack open a battery and only get the copper from it. This might be useful in places where there are no materials around.
  • tcupistcupis Join Date: 2017-06-12 Member: 231080Members
    It would be nice too see another type of knife also, maybe a knife that could shock/stun an enemy when hit
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    tcupis wrote: »
    It would be nice too see another type of knife also, maybe a knife that could shock/stun an enemy when hit

That would be a neat addition, and would fit nicely with the other tech in the game. It could even use the same recipe as the thermal blade.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    My vote for a third knife would be one that allows me to harvest acid and deep shrooms (and I've always imagined tree leeches) safely. An elongated knife/spear should do the trick.

Still not happy with durability being removed in full rather than a knife restoration mechanism being implanted. It'd have made a nice "other" to all the other items' battery system - as it used to be - and would leave the hardened knife's benefit as it is. Never cared for the heated blade and the suggestions here for the hardened one don't matter to my play style because I don't do combat. They're good suggestions!, just none that make an upgrade rewarding in my games.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I'd like to see a new Knife function added to the game, either by the current Hardened Blade or another knife: Have it so swimming with it out repels aggressive enemies. It can either be via harsh light effects (which would make sense for the Thermal Blade but then that makes it harder to cook fish with it) or via sonic waves (moving it in the water causes pain to creatures and drives them away). In order to add balance so it's not a crutch, when it's first deployed it repels creatures that would normally attack you and keeps you safe. But if it's used too often in a short time, it infuriates them to the point that they hone in on the source of aggression and attack in a blind fury for a few minutes. :open_mouth:

From a gameplay standpoint, this would be a form of camouflage where players can swim to bypass threats - be it a school of Bonesharks, Biters or even the Reaper Leviathan. Having such a tool would allow a limited window to swim away safely, but relying too heavily on it raises your threat aggression level to the point where you're no longer safe. I think it would be nice to have such a feature throughout the game, from the early Safe Shallows to the later Active Lava Zone.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    +1 to the idea of adding bleed to the hardened blade. The normal one doesn't hold the serration, the thermal does not either, but cooks, and the harden doesn't cook, but has a nastier edge? Makes sense. And/or coated with anti-coagulant.
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    edited June 2017
    while bleeding would be cool and useful it won't be added in for one simple reason, ratings
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I think that I would be in the 'thermoblade requires battery power' camp as well. Not only does it make sense (the thermoblade is definitely running off some sort of power to generate that much heat, after all!) but it would balance out their usefulness.

Right now, even crafting the two weapons can't be used as a balancing point; making a battery is *vastly* easier than finding a diamond if you're fairly early in the game. I could have crafted a thermoblade long before I could have crafted my first laser cutter, let alone my first hardened blade. In late game, diamonds are everywhere, but early on you're more likely to be able to craft (or find!) a battery or two first.
  • NecrovoreNecrovore Twisty Bridges Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231359Members
    Another possibility is to allow the Hardened Blade to be better at harvesting the plantlife/coral. Thermal blade wouldn't have as many returns as the heat would damage what you are gathering. The player is left with the choice of a blade perfect for hunting down small fish to eat, or a blade better suited for gathering farmed materials.