Are Reaper Leviathans quieter for anyone else?

GhoreGhore DE, USA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216642Members
Sorry if this is an old thing, haven't played or checked patches in a while in order to surprise myself in my current playthrough (Crag fields are awesome btw).

It seems that everyone's favorite nightmare fish has gotten quite a bit... stealthier. While they're not exactly hard to miss, I've not heard a single one of their signature echoing roars despite a few long-range encounters (excluding one close encounter...). Is this an intentional change to make then even more terrifying, or a bug, and is it also only happening to myself?

Note: I believe I am on the release version, NOT experimental.

Comments

• orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    Haven't heard a single roar (except for that echoing, suggestive, faint roaring you hear in the Blood Kelp trench near the Dunes) for over 2 updates now. They don't need to be utterly silent. They're bad enough as it is. Going to hope and assume it's a bug for now, and we'll at least get SOME warning again later. Maybe when they stop them from spawning right in front of us as well. Don't need to explain how unfair that is, how badly it finally needs to stop. Basically been present as long as the monster has.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    I have never heard one (latest stable and experimental), even after 2 close encounter (20m and 50m - but none of them spotted me).
    I thought they roar every now and then ..
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    Can't say I've ever heard them roar since the Xbox Save/load update, hadn't played a long time before that.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I was wondering what those "distinctive roars" everyone talks about were... Not sure I've ever heard one.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited June 2017
    Now that you mention it I haven't heard them either. I haven't even seen a reaper in my current save. That doesn't mean my heart isn't in my throat in the areas they've been known to lurk. It's almost a relief when you actually see one and its off doing its own thing Not seeing them at all is... freaky.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    There was a bug a little while back, that quieted/eliminated a lot of the creature noises when the player built the scanner room.
    Was this bug fixed? If so, perhaps it's resurfaced? How many of you have built scanner rooms?
    Just a thought.
    Its been probably half a year since I built a scanner room so its not that bug in my case at least.
    There was a bug a little while back, that quieted/eliminated a lot of the creature noises when the player built the scanner room.
    Was this bug fixed? If so, perhaps it's resurfaced? How many of you have built scanner rooms?
    Just a thought.

I did not build one in my current save, so it is not this bug
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    Just a thought.

I actually have a few, now you mention it.
  • PhydroPhydro Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221299Members
    The roars are definitely quiet and very short range now. I remember several builds ago, you could usually hear the roars echoing through the biomes before you could see the Reaper, much like with the Sea Dragon and the Lava zones, and I loved that effect. Now, I have to get point blank before I hear it. I already submitted an in-game report as well, screenshotting how close I could get before any audio kicked in. I really hope they revert the audio to the way it was before...

I've also never once built a scanner room in any playthrough, so it's not that specific bug.
    We're supposed to hear it, from far enough to flee before even seeing the danger .. That's a bug for sure
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I havent heard reapers in a very long time. Also I have seem much, much less of them.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I havent heard reapers in a very long time. Also I have seem much, much less of them.

Rather. I'm especially missing the one above the Mushroom Forest/in front of the Aurora. I've seen nothing of it in many deliberate searches in at least four save files, while that one used to be the one I feared the most in updates prior.
    edited June 2017
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Rather. I'm especially missing the one above the Mushroom Forest/in front of the Aurora. I've seen nothing of it in many deliberate searches in at least four save files, while that one used to be the one I feared the most in updates prior.

I recently set up an observation post in the koosh zone that takes me right past where it should be when doing supply runs from my primary base... haven't heard it or seen it. Still scared witless of it, but starting to wonder if it went poof.
  • GhoreGhore DE, USA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216642Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »

I recently set up an observation post in the koosh zone that takes me right past where it should be when doing supply runs from my primary base... haven't heard it or seen it. Still scared witless of it, but starting to wonder if it went poof.

That's rather odd. I've an outpost right behind the Aurora for gathering mass amounts of salvage, with a scanner room (which strangely seems to do the opposite of the previously mentioned bug). There's always been around 3 close by, thanks to the scanner room I can track their location.

Instead of missing, they might be in other places where they shouldn't. When I fought (and managed to defeat!) a specific reaper that angered me with the Prawn, I had to chase the damn thing to the shallows before I whittled it down.
  • lyricjamlyricjam Mexico Join Date: 2017-06-14 Member: 231097Members
    Well my first 2 encounters where deadly and silent and these were when I was using a seamoth with no upgrades. But the water was too murky, I can't tell if the first one spawned right below me and the second Reaper probably clipped through a "sea mountain", I could swear I was in a safe spot.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I've not played the game in a while, but watching some recent videos, there was a reaper quite close by and it was making no sound I could hear.
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    Just a thought.

I'm on xbox and ever since I got rid of my scanner rooms I hear them loud and clear. However I do notice sometimes they just don't roar.