Upgrade/Chip slots for certain power plants?

RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
Got me thinking when I was building a base, it would be great to add a console upgrade panel to the bioreactor, nuclear plant and thermal plants in order to upgrade their efficiency in power.

Examples:

Power capacity upgrade - this would work by increasing the power generators power storage capacity. Bio has a basic store of 100 energy, add the PCU and it adds another 50 or 100 energy storage. Thermal could be the same, though currently you can get another 50 energy out of thermal if you have a foundation to place it on. Nuclear plant I think would have a 100 to 150 or 200 energy increase?

Power efficiency module - works similar to the cyclops PEM except that bases linked to these power generators have anything that uses power, like say lights and fabricators get their usage cut by a certain amount.

I can't think of anymore atm but that's a start there. It got me thinking that since the devs could probably easily add an access panel like they did with the seamoth and other things in the game that it would be a good idea. You also wouldn't have to spam so many power generation structures if you have upgrades to them. This would also provide uses for more materials that hardly have any use currently since some resources only have 1 or 2 uses in the game and could be used in other recipes.

Comments

• crypticc62crypticc62 Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230650Members
    I think a logical extension of this concept would be a console that would allow the player to unpower devices without needing to deconstruct them with the habitat builder. The battery charger, water filtration system, and ceiling lights in specific rooms would all be fairly logical use cases for such a device.

The upgrades you've mentioned and the console above both live in a nice space for base design -- novice players and minimalists are under no pressure to make use of them, but they enable a greater feeling of control for the players who want it.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited May 2017
    The power control idea is on the hotlist of ideas players want, so you have lots of company there, Cryptic. :)

The power plant upgrade idea is intriguing. Personally, I've often wished the bioreactor had a hopper I could load fuel into and it could pull from automatically. Upgrading power plants is an idea that seems to have a lot of mileage in it. :)
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    question about the Power efficiency module, would it stack? if so how would it stack in series or parallel?

say I have 20 Thermal plants and each PEM does 5%,

parallel: 5 times 20 = 100, so everything would use no power

series: 100 times 0.95 (5% reduction) = 0.95, 0.95 * 0.95 = 90.25, 90.25 * 0.95 = 85.74, ... , 37.74 * 0.95 = 35.85
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    question about the Power efficiency module, would it stack? if so how would it stack in series or parallel?

say I have 20 Thermal plants and each PEM does 5%,

parallel: 5 times 20 = 100, so everything would use no power

series: 100 times 0.95 (5% reduction) = 0.95, 0.95 * 0.95 = 90.25, 90.25 * 0.95 = 85.74, ... , 37.74 * 0.95 = 35.85

Since other mods don't stack, it's fair that this one wouldn't, either.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I think those kind of upgrades would fit better inside a base-control-room or something. Because Solar and Thermal have hardly enough space to fit the upgrade console on and limiting the upgrade console to just two power generating options (Bio/Nuclear) would be unfair for those players who like to use the other options. I suggested some time ago that a kind of powerbank or special power-room should become a thing in the game so that you can expand your power storage and or upgrade and control your whole power generation more then before.
    I think those kind of upgrades would fit better inside a base-control-room or something. Because Solar and Thermal have hardly enough space to fit the upgrade console on and limiting the upgrade console to just two power generating options (Bio/Nuclear) would be unfair for those players who like to use the other options. I suggested some time ago that a kind of powerbank or special power-room should become a thing in the game so that you can expand your power storage and or upgrade and control your whole power generation more then before.

That'd be the ideal solution, no doubt about it.

In lieu of that, though, couldn't an upgrade panel similar to the one found on a Seamoth or PRAWN fit on the thermal, bio, and nuclear plants? Same basic design and look, but room for only one or two slots instead of four? That should fit. (I think...)

Solar...well, solar would be a problem without a control room, so I guess that'd be left out.