A remote control repair drone for the cyclops

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
edited May 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
So the cyclops being damageable is a welcome change, but constantly getting out to fix it is tedious. So, since it still has a redundant computer on the starboard side, why not make it a control station for a repair drone? The repair drone can be loaded from inside the ship to a launch tube/bay (capacity 1 drone). When you use the computer to take control of the drone, the drone is launched in front of the cyclops. The drone has very limited range, say 3m from the cyclops (not a specific point in the cyclops, just the cyclops; 3m wouldn't be enough to reach all parts of the ship), energy capacity and HP. The drone only has a camera and a repair tool and it's not very fast. When you've fixed all the damage and stop controlling it, it automatically heads back to the launch bay (while doing this it becomes faster than the cyclops so you don't lose it), in which it heals and charges over time. If the drone runs out of power, you'll have to get out and manually recover it and load it back to the bay. If it runs out of HP, it is obviously destroyed for good. The cyclops doesn't come with a drone, but it can be crafted using the onboard fabricator in the engine room. It is also used to craft replacement drones if one is destroyed.

Comments

• NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members
    I think there are other changes that need to be added before drones and i also think they should act like the scanner room drones so you still have to pilot them to the front, and if/when added should be rather weak and not recommended for EXTREME danger (leviathan/15 sharks)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    How about repair nanobots that work extremely slowly (so you don't have to get out if there's only a little damage, but the thrill of going out in dangerous areas isn't removed, as you'll still want to keep your health at a reasonable amount).
  • McBooMcBoo Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230513Members
    I can see this as a useful addition with some other provisos:

Drones can only be used while you are traveling at Ahead Slow or stopped.
    Drones break Silent Running and can attract their own aggro possibly pulling aggro on the Cyclops.
    Drones are very fragile and can be destroyed in one or two hits.

The idea is to add some functionality but you will still need to extricate yourself and the Cyclops from a bad situation in order to make safe use of a repair drone. Sure you could deploy it while you are being attacked but you run the risk of losing it in the process.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    How about repair nanobots that work extremely slowly (so you don't have to get out if there's only a little damage, but the thrill of going out in dangerous areas isn't removed, as you'll still want to keep your health at a reasonable amount).

That sounds interesting, after all getting out for one random breach is the worst part because it just feels so unnecessary
    McBoo wrote: »
    I can see this as a useful addition with some other provisos:

Drones can only be used while you are traveling at Ahead Slow or stopped.
    Drones break Silent Running and can attract their own aggro possibly pulling aggro on the Cyclops.
    Drones are very fragile and can be destroyed in one or two hits.

The idea is to add some functionality but you will still need to extricate yourself and the Cyclops from a bad situation in order to make safe use of a repair drone. Sure you could deploy it while you are being attacked but you run the risk of losing it in the process.

You'd have to be at standstill. Note that I said that the starboard computer would be used for control. You would have to exit the ship control mode. And when I said limited HP, I meant VERY limited HP. So yes, it would be fragile.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    In addition to the repair drone, it would also be nice if we could use the scanner room drones with the Cyclops. These would help immensely with navigation in tight spaces (especially if the player could drive the Cyclops while viewing the drone camera feed).

A mining drone would be great as well, even if it could only gather the small deposits.
  • NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    In addition to the repair drone, it would also be nice if we could use the scanner room drones with the Cyclops. These would help immensely with navigation in tight spaces (especially if the player could drive the Cyclops while viewing the drone camera feed).

A mining drone would be great as well, even if it could only gather the small deposits.

Brillaint ideas, but it would be kinda difficult to drive while using another type of drone using the same controls
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    It's a very interesting concept, but I don't think it's top priority. Maybe this could be a feature in the future, but it's a good idea.
    I don't think it's top priority.

Same, that's why the option you picked exists