The new Mobile vehicle bay restriction is ridiculously oversensitive

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
So the "Need to be in open water" requirement is good for not beaching the cyclops, but the restriction is WAY too oversensitive. I keep getting the message in really deep and open areas. Fix this.

Comments

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Totally agree, there is no reason why the vehicle bay needs to be on the surface (other than possible gameplay limitations). The habitat builder already demonstrates that the builder tech is perfectly capable of moving water out of the way without any issues.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Kudos to @Fathom and @gamer1000k for these insights! I've never really thought about it, but it is a really questionable design decision. By the time I'm ready to make the Exosuit, I have my base set up in the Grand Reef. I have to Sea Glide my MVB all the way to the surface which is 250M away. Then I craft my vehicle and watch it plummet 100 meters down underwater...and then it stops in mid-water for no reason. So then I pack up the MVB and Sea Glide to the Exosuit, enter it and plummet the rest of the way down.

Why is that the only vehicle, which creates the other underwater vehicles, can only be supported only on the ocean's surface? I feel that it should float underwater like the Water Lockers, since it seems like buoyancy is redundant when it's not needed above the surface really. And to that end, why is it also not a vehicle? It uses a Power Cell like the Seamoth, Exosuit and Cyclops - as well as Lubricant, which the PDA specifically mentions as necessary for the construction of vehicles. :confused:

I'm of the opinion that the MVB should stay a surface vehicle, given our other underwater options. But I would like to see it become drivable... after all it is the Mobile Vehicle Bay, not the Portable Vehicle Bay. :tongue: It could be a small serviceable pontoon, able to drive across the ocean in the early game before the Seamoth, and when SeaGlide power is critical. Not to mention, I just store it for the entire game, except for the three minutes it ever gets used... :sweat_smile:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    They should make it a seaglide version instead of a floating one and then use the seabase placement mechanics for building the vehicles. That would then also allow you to build a new vehicle in the depths instead of having to go back to the surface for it.
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    Totally agree, there is no reason why the vehicle bay needs to be on the surface (other than possible gameplay limitations). The habitat builder already demonstrates that the builder tech is perfectly capable of moving water out of the way without any issues.

It's for the visually impressive vehicle drop.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    This has always been an irritation for me, since day one. The placement idea Fathom suggested is great.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    "The only way you can get a cyclops is to swim to the far end of the dunes and stay there in open water for up to 2 minutes"

wew
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    edited May 2017
    So I pulled out my crayons and made a sketch:
    r26mpik8wsux.jpg
    As you can see, I am clearly terrible at this, but I think you can get the gist of my idea.

It has a Power Cell slot, comes with propellers for orientation and altitude adjustment and a forward thrust that is around equal to swimming speed.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    Fathom wrote: »
    So I pulled out my crayons and made a sketch:
    r26mpik8wsux.jpg
    As you can see, I am clearly terrible at this, but I think you can get the gist of my idea.

It has a Power Cell slot, comes with propellers for orientation and altitude adjustment and a forward thrust that is around equal to swimming speed.

"Cars 5: Lighting Races Under the Sea"
    (special appearance by Sebastian)

B)

Addendum:

I just noticed that that vehicle is obviously based on a Crashfish...

Its only got One Eye.

< chuckle >
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    I just wanted to be able to aim the damn thing.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited May 2017
    For fun, I deployed a mobile vehicle bay underneath a moonpool in the Jellyshroom cave.

To my surprise, it actually worked. I was able to jump on top of the bay and use it.

It let me build a Cyclops in the Jellyshroom cave (which promptly got stuck on my base).

This is on the latest experimental version of the game.