proper change tracker

GreendwellerGreendweller Holland Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215980Members
Hi all,

like most people, i'm always happy when a new update comes out of subnautica but i have a suggestion about it.
On experimental it gets build a couple of times a day and is distributed trough steam to the community.
However there is almost no information on what has been implemented or what has been fixed with propper patch notes.
And so we only discover by accident about what has been changed (or fixed).

This seems like an situation that can be improved for better and quicker data gathering and bug fixing.

For example i will use an open source software project that has impressed me greatly with its documentation and code structure:

https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/releases

This project shows how it could be done and how the information is displayed to the community in an automated way.
(i know it's also possible to hide the sourcecode on github but i guess you guys are using a different tracker.)

Personally i think it would help greatly with bug tracking in an organised way instead of how it's going now.

Cheers,

Green.

Comments

• DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    As a personal rule of thumb when Subnautica updates I will troll around in the Trello pages and if something has been updated an hour or so before, that is usually what the update was about.
  • GreendwellerGreendweller Holland Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215980Members
    Yea i know how i can get some of the information but still it's a tedious process while it can be automated for much more clarity.

It would save a lot of time for people who are actually looking into those kind of things and try to help. And i think that a structured overview of such things will help for the development of Subnautica.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    On experimental it gets build a couple of times a day and is distributed trough steam to the community...And so we only discover by accident about what has been changed (or fixed).This seems like an situation that can be improved for better and quicker data gathering and bug fixing. *snip*

It would save a lot of time for people who are actually looking into those kind of things and try to help. And i think that a structured overview of such things will help for the development of Subnautica.

I dunno, since Experimental gets updated daily, and often updated several times a day, it seems kind of pointless to post what has changed everytime a new build gets posted. Considering that they often use Experimental for testing purposes, they may want to change something for a while to test various systems, or just to see if something will cause issues elsewhere. Also, a lot of times they'll probably revert a change back to what it was before, so why list something twice when the end result is the same at the beginning?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. Just that with everything else they have going on, they probably don't need extra work to do on their end. Also... I'd rather have everyone working towards improving the game, instead of having a couple people spending most of their time typing out patch notes everyday. :wink::tongue:
  • GreendwellerGreendweller Holland Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215980Members
    edited April 2017
    Hmm i do partially understand what you are saying.
    But in a development environment every change, addition, substraction should already be documented even if it's a test.
    (if someone get sick, get fired or whatever, the rest of the team should be able to continue with whatever that person was doing.)

At least that's how i think it should be, but i don't know how the reality is ofcourse.

And if it's documented already why not use it for some patchnotes?.
    I assume that when they upload a change (or branch) to the buildserver that it gets documented or at the verry least gets commented.
    It should not be that hard to make a grabber that collects the information if it's commented structually and properly and display it in a page on the website.

And about your remark on the testing of things in subnautica. Well, if they report that a certain aspect of the game is tested; the players/users/reporters can give a more precise report on issues that are going on (or on what is bein tested). Or will report less because they know that a certain thing is currently being tested.

I also want the game to be completed rather sooner then later and i think this will actually speed up in solving and reporting bugs quicker then the current method without any change information.

But yea thats just my €0,02