Cyclops Locker inventory size makes no sense

mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
The cyclops integrated lockers do not have an inventory space appropriate for their size. If you place a wall locker next to a cyclops built in locker you'll discover the wall locker has 2 1/2 times the inventory space and is roughly the same size as the built in cyclops locker with a difference of maybe an inch or two. To me this seems like a major design inconsistency and makes me think the Cyclops's lockers should have similar capacity to the wall lockers.

Comments

• LAZYNOOB2017LAZYNOOB2017 United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-12-31 Member: 225824Members
    Yeah, you can't even fit a seaglide in them. They should be slots wide AT LEAST.
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    or removed. more freedom for our customizations...
  • SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    edited April 2017
    I think I remember the devs had put a bit of thought into picking the locker size on those, and had a reason for making them small. Can't remember the specifics though.

Frankly, I agree they should be the same size as the small locker (the 2xTitanium + 1xQuartz ones) since I personally hate having to build lockers inside the Cyclops, looks ugly.
  • LAZYNOOB2017LAZYNOOB2017 United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-12-31 Member: 225824Members
    They're so small I don't even bother using them
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Free space is free space. Stick raw materials in there. Maybe you've got a ton of excess gold lying around, or way too many medkits from your fabricator. Put them down there.

I think if it had too much space there wouldn't be a need to build storage on the cyclops at all.
  • SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    Dracobomba wrote: »
    -snip-
    I think if it had too much space there wouldn't be a need to build storage on the cyclops at all.

That's honestly what I'm hoping for.

I understand there's a balance they have to strike so they don't give too much free space, but they're just a little off in my opinion. I'll admit that in hindsight the 5x6 I'd suggested (the space of a Wall Locker) is too much, but I think they should definitely bump it up from 2x6 to 3x6.

6 more slots per Cyclops Locker is only a net gain equivalent to one Wall Locker, while making them capable of holding 3x3 items.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    edited April 2017
    Sennera wrote: »
    6 more slots per Cyclops Locker is only a net gain equivalent to one Wall Locker, while making them capable of holding 3x3 items.

Ah, but the then flavor of the storage being as annoyingly narrow as your High-school locker is lost! You could barely fit your books in there, much less a coffee machine or a self-propulsion device.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    I think you all are missing the big issue here. We need to be able to place anything into the decoy deploy tube and launch it at creatures similar to the Rock-It-Launcher or Junk Jet from Fallout 3 & 4 respectively.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    They are great for storing extra O2 tanks for wreck diving.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    They are great for storing extra O2 tanks for wreck diving.

O2 tanks, flares, batteries. That's what I use 'em for.

Besides, look at those things. Sure, they have the same face area as a wall locker, but the integrated lockers look really shallow, nowhere near the same depth. The hull thickness at the keel doesn't seem particularly substantial, so those lockers can't be very deep (because it would leave no room for a pressure hull). Personally, I always thought the available space was bang-on for what I was seeing.