New item icons virtually indistinguishable from each other

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
I have to say I'm not liking a lot of the new item icons at all. To me, everything looks almost exactly the same. At first, I thought maybe I was just being resistant to change. I mean, after 200+ hours playing the game with the old graphics, it makes sense it might take some time to get used to the new ones. But even after trying to get used to them, it still really does seem hard to me to make out what items are. Before, I had no trouble telling a diamond from a quartz from silver when I looked in my inventory. Now, though, the icons don't look at all different to me. The only way I can tell the difference is to hover over them. It's quite frustrating.

Edit: The shapes are different but the odd color / glow of each item makes them all look almost identical. Not digging these graphics at all. It feels like a huge step backwards.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Is it the lighter blue highlight around the edge making this difference (take a screenshot and play around in an image editor to confirm / deny).
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited April 2017
    8p53tmnf2qbo.jpg
    For the latest version of the game, they completely reworked the graphics for all these items to replace them with something that makes silver, diamond, lead and quartz all look more like a glowy metallic crystalline thing than like the versions we came to know and love as featured on the Subnautica Wiki. This is part of the reworking of virtually all the graphics along with the new GUI.

Take a look at the attached screenshot and tell me which is which of the six items. :)
  • DaMantis_LeviathanDaMantis_Leviathan Somwhere in da UK Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229848Members
    edited April 2017
    @garath i tollally agree with u
    my main issue is that i grown to love the old pda
    the HUD is a lot better :D
    but the PDA has gotten worse :'(

just my opinion

Edit: the oxygen, food water, depth, 3D compass look better,
    but the background of the icons in the PDA look worse - less sci-fi, i guess
    the icons themselves, some are better, some are worse

2nd Edit: @Rainstorm i agree, thank u for opening my eyes to this black and white world, where i could not see that the problem was not the people but the lack of colour and how our rulers, the DEVS, took this privelage from us, how they forced us to see black and white, but how u opened my eyes1

Devs, u do a great job
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited April 2017
    Imo the real issue here isnt that the new ores all are alike since they pretty much all have new and visually better looking icons, it has more to do with the fact they're all colored black'n white'ish now. The new GUI is in my opinion WAYYYY better looking than the old one. My fav change is the new compass interface which is awesome looking now :love:

I liked the old one too, dont get me wrong, but it really needed some more love to make it much better to the eye. They just need to recolor the ores so that they indeed look different from one another more at first glance. Its simply a matter of time before i learn to recognize them all by heart simply from their icon shapes
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited April 2017
    Many folks have been requesting a more realistic theme and/or look to the game...

Welp..., there ya go.
    B)
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    But the item icons have to be fixed. It's irritating that they look so alike. Worse when adjacent icons of different things look alike.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Ug that looks horrible
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017
    Confusing though it may be, it's the change everybody demanded. In reality, many of these materials do look very, very similar at least in coloration. (Structure is something else, naturally.) Raw diamond generally looks like poor quartz, not a diamond. Lead ore, galena, looks like nondescript grey cubes. Silver ore is grey. What can I say? Nature isn't very inventive sometimes.

Granted, they're not immediately snap-identifiable like before, but they are realistic. And, with a little practice, they can be gotten used to. Focus on the shapes; that's the giveaway. :)
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    In reality, many of these materials do look very, very similar at least in coloration.
    Most metals do just look like silvery metals. But that isn't a good interface for a player to use which should emphasis differences in material by differences in appearance of the icon to avoid confusion and mistakes.

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    You'll get used to it in no time. Before long you'll recognise them at a glance.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited April 2017
    You'll get used to it in no time. Before long you'll recognise them at a glance.

Sounds like something a troll would say...

Or, maybe you are a Geology major in college who has spent hours staring at rocks and that has granted you special skills to observer obscure differences in rocks.

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited April 2017
    I think that might actually be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen on these forums. Thanks for the laugh.

How rocks appear to everyone else:
    w1pfdc8ji4t2.jpg

How rocks appear to garath:
    z8xirtne5pow.jpg
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Only complaint could be about the color. They all have distinctively different shapes to them.
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    not gonna lie but as much as i look forward to that change reaching the x1. sure it'll take some adjusting and rememorizing but It is a bit hard to distinguish even WITH 20/20, prob is the blue-white backdrop even if its to adjust contrast by a few increments.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    edited April 2017
    The real issue is the color. I'm ASSUMING they'll recolor it later, but as-is I agree they look far too similar.

I think the shapes are fine, as long as they give them more vibrant coloring like before.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited April 2017
    If They colored the new mineral icons in Neon Colors...

Would they then become POP-ROCKS???
    ku-xlarge.jpg

B)
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017
    Er, not to be difficult, but look around outside. Rocks aren't color-coded. Geology only rarely does "vibrantly colored."

Folks, we got what we asked for:

"We want more realism!"
    Done, realistic minerals.
    "These don't look different enough! We want less realism!"
    (sigh)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited April 2017
    Er, not to be difficult, but look around outside. Rocks aren't color-coded. Geology only rarely does "vibrantly colored."

"We want more realism!"
    (sigh)

LOL yeah i know. No matter what they do there will always be people against it .....for them its basically a loss-loss scenario. Still, forums are made for giving our opinions on things if of course they're back'ed with coherent motives and shared in a constructive way (unlike pure hate/flaming).
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members

"We want more realism!"
    (sigh)
    Well, some minerals do come in vibrantly colored. Just not all of them are always distinctively saturated.
    dgg8bd0tqfh9.jpg