Which is your favourite update to Subnautica so far and why?

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
I can only put 10 options, so if your fav isn't listed, just vote "other" and say it in the comments.

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Mine is definitely the H2.0 update, I really love it when a game has nice visuals, and that update blew me away, particularly with the giant moon/planet and the surface refraction.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I like pretty much every update that comes out, but if your talking about an update that implemented some of the most iconic things, you can't even compete with Update 8.

It added the Terraformer, Stasis Rifle, Beacons, Bleeders, Bonesharks, the HUD that we see today, and the PDA that we see today.

It even provided with some items that aren't iconic, like the Airbladder, current generator, and compass.

And possibly the best thing about it, with Update 8, it provided the ability to save and play saved games.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Skope wrote: »
    I like pretty much every update that comes out, but if your talking about an update that implemented some of the most iconic things, you can't even compete with Update 8.

It added the Terraformer, Stasis Rifle, Beacons, Bleeders, Bonesharks, the HUD that we see today, and the PDA that we see today.

It even provided with some items that aren't iconic, like the Airbladder, current generator, and compass.

And possibly the best thing about it, with Update 8, it provided the ability to save and play saved games.

Yep love that save option
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Power Nap ... that's when they introduced the sleep mechanic, right? :confused:
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    For the ones I've been playing for its definitely Power Nap. Both for the beds and for the ability to recharge batteries.

Though as far as naming goes it was Castles and Coffee, two of my favorite things ever. The 'Coffee completed' is kinda adorable too.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    The habitat update was just too important
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Dangerous creatures. It added the warper, which I'd been waiting for freaking AGES to get, and the tree cove? That place is beautiful. I built a base right then an there, and having a new levithian was the icing on the cake.
    (if I could pick 2, the other would be the shocking update. Ampeels are my favorite predator, and the blood kelp is arguably the coolest biome ingame.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited April 2017
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Dangerous creatures. It added the warper, which I'd been waiting for freaking AGES to get, and the tree cove? That place is beautiful. I built a base right then an there, and having a new levithian was the icing on the cake.
    (if I could pick 2, the other would be the shocking update. Ampeels are my favorite predator, and the blood kelp is arguably the coolest biome ingame.

Dangerous creatures update. It added some creatures, and even my all time favorite creature, the Sea Dragon. Although the update that brought me to this game a lot more is when they started adding the precursor bases, so the bones update I believe. After the update that is supposed to come out in a few days comes out (wut), I will see the update page and then see if that will be my more favorite update.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I don't really know my favourite, but I certainly know the worst.
    When they started adding in the precursor stuff.
    That's when it shifted from being a really original, multiple play-through, interesting game with a hell of a lot of potential into a cliche, unoriginal, one-play-through-only experience.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I don't really know my favourite, but I certainly know the worst.
    When they started adding in the precursor stuff.
    That's when it shifted from being a really original, multiple play-through, interesting game with a hell of a lot of potential into a cliche, unoriginal, one-play-through-only experience.

How are the precursors not original? Also the game needed a story, or would you prefer a game where you just survived, got all the equipment, and then what? But sadly I have to agree with you the game doesn't really have that much replayability.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited April 2017
    How are they not original? Precursor races are a science fiction staple, as old as science fiction itself. From HG. Wells and Lovecraft, to Prometheus, via X-Minus-One and Planet of the Apes. It's harder to think of a piece of science fiction media without some long dead precursor race, from which we never learn our lessons.

The game really didn't need a story, not at all. It could easily have been more of a "create your own adventure" sandbox experience, like it was when I first purchased it. And like so many other successful games have been.
    Instead of making precursor bases and this cliche story about carar, if this was my game, I'd be focussing a lot more on the rescue, survival, maybe eventually escape aspect. Get a radio beacon out there, await rescue, (Sunbeam-esque stuff, done at your own pace, whenever you get around to it.) I don't know, give us some other humans to speak to. Give us some survivors, let us build a habitat to live in as a group. Whatever. Anything else would be better than what we have now. Have home send a message that we have to prepare a colony, more people are coming, so make a place for them to live.

I mean, why am I building a huge freaking base, that just makes me feel even more alone than ever because I know nobody but me will ever walk the hallways? It's depressing, pointless and makes no sense what so ever. The whole building mechanic is nothing but one big ludonarrative dissonant waste of time. The developers put so much time into implementing a building mechanic which is entirely meaningless. The only reason you even need to build a single thing is to get vehicles. That's it. That's the entire mechanical purpose of building.

I'm not saying that my ideas are particularly original either, but at least it leaves the game far more open to a player creating their own experience instead of being forced down a linear path of carar, precursors and story/plot.
    Once the "plot" (and I use that term very loosely) was instated along with precursors it became a linear game, set in a non-linear world. Nothing more, nothing less.

When the game was more open-ended, freedom was it's main beauty. Even aesthetically, the world was a beautiful thing to explore. The precursor structures are a real eyesore, ugly monstrosities that take away even the visual attraction of Subnautica.

Yeah. It's hard to get past it, the precursor's are simply a disaster, in my not-so-humble opinion.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    How are they not original? Precursor races are a science fiction staple, as old as science fiction itself. From HG. Wells and Lovecraft, to Prometheus, via X-Minus-One and Planet of the Apes. It's harder to think of a piece of science fiction media without some long dead precursor race, from which we never learn our lessons.

The game really didn't need a story, not at all. It could easily have been more of a "create your own adventure" sandbox experience, like it was when I first purchased it. And like so many other successful games have been.
    Instead of making precursor bases and this cliche story about carar, if this was my game, I'd be focussing a lot more on the rescue, survival, maybe eventually escape aspect. Get a radio beacon out there, await rescue, (Sunbeam-esque stuff, done at your own pace, whenever you get around to it.) I don't know, give us some other humans to speak to. Give us some survivors, let us build a habitat to live in as a group. Whatever. Anything else would be better than what we have now. Have home send a message that we have to prepare a colony, more people are coming, so make a place for them to live.

I mean, why am I building a huge freaking base, that just makes me feel even more alone than ever because I know nobody but me will ever walk the hallways? It's depressing, pointless and makes no sense what so ever. The whole building mechanic is nothing but one big ludonarrative dissonant waste of time. The developers put so much time into implementing a building mechanic which is entirely meaningless. The only reason you even need to build a single thing is to get vehicles. That's it. That's the entire mechanical purpose of building.

I'm not saying that my ideas are particularly original either, but at least it leaves the game far more open to a player creating their own experience instead of being forced down a linear path of carar, precursors and story/plot.
    Once the "plot" (and I use that term very loosely) was instated along with precursors it became a linear game, set in a non-linear world. Nothing more, nothing less.

When the game was more open-ended, freedom was it's main beauty. Even aesthetically, the world was a beautiful thing to explore. The precursor structures are a real eyesore, ugly monstrosities that take away even the visual attraction of Subnautica.

Yeah. It's hard to get past it, the precursor's are simply a disaster, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Erm... you don't think that was, perhaps, intentional, do you? I mean, the Precursors show up to this pristine planet and turn it into a disease research plantation. You wouldn't expect their remains to be harmonious with the world around them. Just like you wouldn't expect yours to -- you're a survivor building emergency blueprint survival bases, you're not there to fit in, you're there to live until you're rescued, or perhaps until you die all alone, with only the remains of those who have been marooned on the planet before you to keep you company.

I guess what I'm saying is there's more than one way to look at it.

And, honestly, it's be cool to have mods that take the game more in your direction as well (heh, if anyone hacked semi-decent multiplayer into Subnautica... that'd be pretty epic.
    I'm not quite sure what your point is, Buddy.
    I mean, yeah, you're right, of course the precursor's would create ugly structures to go with their ugly lives. It makes total sense.

But the sad fact is that makes the world a less pleasant place to spend time in as a player. It would be okay if they gave us something to compensate for this aspect, but in my opinion, there's nothing really good about the precursor concept so there's no pay off to excuse it or mitigate the issue in my mind.

To put it perfectly bluntly, I find the whole idea a tired, worn out cliche that has not been implemented even remotely well at all. That's pretty much all I have to say about it, as I never really intended this to derail the thread quite so much.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    Well the better water effects and the scanner are what makes this game in my opinion. Well anything to do with the scanning and learning of creatures.

I would also say the shocking update, infected update and dangerous creatures update are also pretty important.

Although, I don't personally think that the dangerous creatures update was the best update like people have put on here.

I hope in the future, probably after 1.0 is finished they do a update called "Realistic and Beautiful biomes", in which they make it so the smaller creatures and plant life stand out more, when it is quite dull in a lot of other biomes, like the Mountains, Dunes and most importantly the grand reef. I think the grand reef needs to earn it's title a bit more than it already does.

Maybe, have it the grand reef have every single creature kinda like the crashsite does.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

Yeah. It's hard to get past it, the precursor's are simply a disaster, in my not-so-humble opinion

As much as it pains me, I do have to agree with you on the implementation of the Precursors. It wasn't great.

I had high hopes for the aliens, and they didn't seem to live up to that expectation. I just wish that the bases seemed more, abandoned.

How they stand, it just seems so sterile and empty. Instead of being an alien structure that's been left desolate by a disease that swiftly took out an entire race over a thousand years ago, it seems like the Precursors are just out to lunch.

The Lost River base is the closest to my image of what the bases should be, completely totaled. But even the Lost River base isn't really up to snuff.

I do hope that UWE considers changing the models of the bases to be more desolate.

• kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    Skope wrote: »

Yeah. It's hard to get past it, the precursor's are simply a disaster, in my not-so-humble opinion

As much as it pains me, I do have to agree with you on the implementation of the Precursors. It wasn't great.

I had high hopes for the aliens, and they didn't seem to live up to that expectation. I just wish that the bases seemed more, abandoned.

How they stand, it just seems so sterile and empty. Instead of being an alien structure that's been left desolate by a disease that swiftly took out an entire race over a thousand years ago, it seems like the Precursors are just out to lunch.

The Lost River base is the closest to my image of what the bases should be, completely totaled. But even the Lost River base isn't really up to snuff.

I do hope that UWE considers changing the models of the bases to be more desolate.

I just find it interesting that they were better than humans even when we had 1000 years to progress technology further than them. Yet they were 10x more advanced even back the.

I just find that interesting tbh.

In regards to the issues you guys had. Isn't it explained that there bases are made out of an incredibly strong yet unknown material? I personally don't
    You're totally right @Skope and sterile is a good word for it, one I used in a thread a few weeks ago.

They need to be either a) way more destroyed and damaged, as if they've been eroded and demolished by time and the elements or b) more cluttered, more evidence of life. They need to look far more lived in, with living quarters, eating areas, equipment and alien "stuff" scattered about the place. That way the fact it's been abandoned is made even more poignant and the juxtaposition has an actual impact.

Because as it stands, the empty, boring corridors don't make you feel like anyone's ever lived there. You don't care about the precursors because you can't relate to this completely sterile, empty and totally functional aesthetic as a human being playing a video game. It's disjointed and doesn't work.

It's one more reason that I think the game is a long way from release. If it were me, I'd have a lot of work to do making the precursor structures seem like real places.

I'm reminded of Dead Space, and what a good job those games did of creating a believable world. There were no empty corridors. All around you was the evidence of life that's suddenly and violently been removed. Even something as small as a stack of magazines, scattered across the floor, such a simple, small thing which means so much to immersion and creating a believable environment.

Exploring the exterior world of Subnautica is like exploring Dead Space.
    Exploring the interior world of Subnautica is like exploring an FPS from the early 90s.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members

I don't have a problem with the Precursor bases being around, it's just that I would have preferred it if they weren't. And if they were, I'd have wanted them all to be in the same state as the Lost River base, perhaps even worse; just traces of an ancient civilization. At the moment, I don't think adding actual Precursors to the game would make much of a difference; the bases look far to maintained for them to be abandoned in my opinion, let alone abandoned for one thousand years.

The Thermal Plant is the worst example of this. There are droids running through the corridors, there's an entire engine room that supposedly powers every other functioning Precursor Base on the planet, and I'm supposed to somehow accept that all of these guys are extinct. I just don't buy it.

But in the long run, it's not gamebreaking for me.

• Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    The H20 Update improved the graphics nicely and made it a beautiful game to play. Gameplay seemed more polished in that way.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    The Silent Running update! We got the ability to use the Cyclops as a stealth mobile base, instead of an invincible tank capable of matching wits with the Reaper Leviathan. Also they added realistic hull and fire damage, as well as adding Cyclops upgrades, such as a defensive shield and a sweet-looking sonar option! Amirite guys? Wait, um... *checks the calendar date* :sweat:

So um, if we're not posting from the future, I guess it would have to be the Castles and Coffee update. They made some of the buildable doodads look better (I'm looking at you, Alterra™ branded Seasoned Nutritional Aromatic Cuisine Keeper© dispenser, makers of the famous Crunchy-Healthy Instant Potato Snack© food packets!) :smirk: Not to mention they also un-nerfed the SeaGlide to the point where not only is it usable again, but with Swim Charge Fins it means you're not at the mercy of being stranded anymore.

Also as someone else posted above, the Coffee Machine now is usable (with animations!) and is no longer restricted to just the two or three total you can find in the entire world. :love: Also of note, now you no longer can pick it up for the hundredth time when you're just trying to get a single~ cup of~ coffee~! :angry: Holy cow am I ever glad they changed that...
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    Latest experimental update lol
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    I personally feel the precursor story is the best part. Without that, it's just another survival game. The story makes the game unique. If I wanted to play a survival game, I would have just loaded up minecraft. The mods there at least give it replayability.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    edited August 2017
    I personally feel the precursor story is the best part. Without that, it's just another survival game. The story makes the game unique. If I wanted to play a survival game, I would have just loaded up minecraft. The mods there at least give it replayability.

I respectfully disagree with this

In my eyes the main and most interesting feature in the game is the dynamic environment. The world is, simply put, stunningly beautiful. I could spend hours on end watching the sea life swim around. It's a shame the devs didn't put a whole lot of time into creatures behavior A.I. but what we have is already amazing. The story is pretty cool and makes sense but you can get good stories from other survival games. Mincraft doesn't have an environment and world as interesting and detailed as subnautica.

K I'm done ranting for now :lol:
  • cutefishleviathancutefishleviathan United States Join Date: 2017-07-22 Member: 231975Members
    I would love it if in future updates they stick to the decision to implement a oxygen generator that uses power so that the game would require more multitasking, it would create another required stepping stone (small milestone) so the game would last a bit longer and make it closer to realistic survival. :)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    The update just before the survival knife started causing hull breaches in the base. After that change, done with the game never to play it again.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Bones & PRAWN were both wonderful... I really love the different perspective given by the PRAWN, and I love Bones... but the functionality of the extra rooms leads to more enjoyment of all biomes.
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    H2.0 was awesome, because it looked so good. Just... SO GOOD! Look at it! Plus now I can scan Mr.Cuddles, Mr.Fluffy (the reapers who live next to the Aurora.) and all their friends!
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    All the ones before They changed the way O2 tanks work.

:/
  • londonsmartlondonsmart anderson south carolina Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230782Members
    i like the new silent running and voice of the deep updates but my brother chose the infected update
  • cutefishleviathancutefishleviathan United States Join Date: 2017-07-22 Member: 231975Members
    H2.0 was awesome, because it looked so good. Just... SO GOOD! Look at it! Plus now I can scan Mr.Cuddles, Mr.Fluffy (the reapers who live next to the Aurora.) and all their friends!

I will officially refer to them as Mr.Cuddles&Mr.Fluffy. Thank you. o:)