SUBNAUTICA has skittle pox (really)

999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
edited April 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
:D Its true if you watch subnautica experimental updates videos you'll see it. the devs said its because there reaching the limit for unity so stay tuned for the rest of this problem

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I'm not too surprised to hear this. Someone had made some cool new posters and asked if they could be added to the game. The developers answered back saying something like they were worried about running up against the texture limit. It will be really interesting to hear how they solve the problem. Hopefully, there is some advanced technique that involves swapping out textures from a palette or something to overcome the limits. (Pardon my ignorant descriptions as I'm definitely not a Unity expert.) :)
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    garath wrote: »
    I'm not too surprised to hear this. Someone had made some cool new posters and asked if they could be added to the game. The developers answered back saying something like they were worried about running up against the texture limit. It will be really interesting to hear how they solve the problem. Hopefully, there is some advanced technique that involves swapping out textures from a palette or something to overcome the limits. (Pardon my ignorant descriptions as I'm definitely not a Unity expert.) :)

youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_iuviNmZo
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I know they want to get the source code for Unity, maybe they can tweak it?
    https://trello.com/c/2Mp2XNn5/6262-get-unity-engineering-help-and-or-source-code-access

Great! but for now it will have to wait (oh hey that rhymes)
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    The limit they've run into is this:

The issue does not seem to be related to total assets in the Resources folder. The issue seems to be a hard limit of 4GB on the total textures in the build. Grab the "Build Report Tool" asset. When you build your project, it will show you total texture size in the build under "Size Stats". It will say Textures, Sounds, Meshes, etc under "Used Assets Size Breakdown" on the "Size Stats" section. If the total size of Textures exceeds 4GB, you will run into the problem.

More on this, Karl Jones, Unity Technologies,

This is a limit of the maximum file size for resources. Resources are packed into a single file during the build. The file contains a header and one of the fields inside the header is size, this is stored as a 32 bit unsigned integer, the limit of which is 4GB. There has been some research into changing the size property to a 64bit unsigned integer but it is not a simple task due to backwards compatibility.