Mariana Trench Alteration

JimmyLanderJimmyLander Bulgaria Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218623Members
edited August 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
I’m going to rewrite this post a year later because it was awfully worded/explained up until now:

Basically - an explorable variation of The Void/Crater’s Edge/Ecological Dead Zone. A dark pit with freaks, with an eerie silent and empty vibe.

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Have you not seen the lost river?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Agreed; Lost River is much more interesting. The Marianas Trench is, well...boring. It's mud. And a few shrimp. More mud. A couple rocks. Mud. Ooh, is that a ... nope, rock again. Mud. Oh, looky, more mud. Sea cucumber creeping around in, wow, shocker - mud.

For how difficult it is to get to the world's basement, it sure ain't worth the trip.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Agreed; Lost River is much more interesting. The Marianas Trench is, well...boring. It's mud. And a few shrimp. More mud. A couple rocks. Mud. Ooh, is that a ... nope, rock again. Mud. Oh, looky, more mud. Sea cucumber creeping around in, wow, shocker - mud.

For how difficult it is to get to the world's basement, it sure ain't worth the trip.

Could find the occasional dead whale, or James Cameron. But there's really nothing there.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    Actually, a whale fall in a deep biome (like the Void) would be pretty cool. :) They create these isolated ecosystems that only last as long as the whale carcass does. They're pretty amazing - a pocket of thriving life amid a whole lot of empty nothing.
  • JimmyLanderJimmyLander Bulgaria Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218623Members
    edited August 2018
    I didn't say to literally add the Mariana Trench, I just said it should be a creepy biome, and The Lost River is too lively to be the Mariana Trench of Subnautica, but I guess it's not something that'd really fit in Subnautica.
    I didn't say to literally add the Mariana Trench, I just said it should be a creepy biome, and The Lost River is too lively to be the Mariana Trench of Subnautica, but I guess it's not something that'd really fit in Subnautica.

Ah, I get you now. I thought you meant a literal representation.

Well, there's Deep Grand Reef and the Crag biome...those are sparse and pretty creepy. Plenty dark, that's for sure. But there's something to be said for "magnificent desolation." :)

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but it'd be a tough sell. A lot of people are already complaining that parts of the game (or even the whole thing) feel "too empty," so a biome whose whole design principle is emptiness...not sure how many bites you'd be getting on that bait.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Thanks for posting the vaguest possible explanation of what this biome is. I don't even know what could be taken from it.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members

that was the greatest summary of anything I've ever read
    edited August 2018
    My explanation was bad indeed
  • BestUserNameEverBestUserNameEver USA Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217749Members
    Besides the Lost River or the (other biome with floating blue spheres) i think Subnautica needs a biome to actually "fear" going into
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Besides the Lost River or the (other biome with floating blue spheres) i think Subnautica needs a biome to actually "fear" going into

Koosh
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    There is a biomes like this. go towards the dunes until you find a drop off and just dive. there's no vehicles that can make it down there yet, so you'll have to be in creative. Just keep going and you'll find it, its dark though
    edited August 2018
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Koosh

Koosh is purply and sorta light, but those eels are annoying
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    There is a biomes like this. go towards the dunes until you find a drop off and just dive. there's no vehicles that can make it down there yet, so you'll have to be in creative. Just keep going and you'll find it, its dark though

That's actually genius. They should make the edges of the map an actual biome. And it should be a dark, rocky and extremely steep slope into a dark abyss.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Isn't the blood kelp trench essentially what you're looking for?
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    How about an opening in the deepened part of the BKZ where it's dead silent and there's seemingly nothing. Maybe they could add some skeletons of the finned whale concept art down there. I dunno something creepy at least
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members

Kraken was taking a nap and couldn't invite us in for tea that day. Shame really.

To be fair, for the amount of time we've spent down there we really don't know too much do we? If watching the Nautilus crew has taught me anything its that you never know whats going to pop up next down on the sea floor.

Ralij wrote: »

Kraken was taking a nap and couldn't invite us in for tea that day. Shame really.

To be fair, for the amount of time we've spent down there we really don't know too much do we? If watching the Nautilus crew has taught me anything its that you never know whats going to pop up next down on the sea floor.

We haven't spent a lot of manned time in the Marianas, no, but we've done extensive sonar surveys and, more recently, ROV scouting. Not a ton, mind, but if there were anything really out of line, we would've at least had a hint. From a geology standpoint, the trench is amazing, a real roadmap of the ancient Earth. But for just about everybody else...biiiig quantities of meh. It's just too inhospitable an environment.

Shallower deep ocean (which isn't really an oxymoron) can truly be amazing. @Ralij, if you haven't done so already, check out "whale falls." In short, when a whale dies, it sinks. The carcass on the bottom becomes its own ecosystem which thrives for over a decade. Amid a whole lot of dead seafloor (the benthic plains), you have this vibrant collection of life all dedicated to breaking down this dead whale. It's astounding, really.

Monterey also did an impromptu study in their marine sanctuary. One of their surveys found a shipping container that had somehow ended up sunk at the bottom of the Sanctuary. It's not uncommon; thousands upon thousands of shipping containers are lost at sea every year, washed off containerships. But rather than remove this one, Monterey decided to use it as a study point to see how marine life interacted with a sunken container. (With so many out there, it was a valid question.) It shocked everyone. Here's a metal box with anticorrosion paint which should make it a freaking poison plate, but instead it has turned into this funky almost-but-not-quite reef.

You can also look up recent dive photos of the ex-ORISKANY, the aircraft carrier that was sunk to be an artificial reef. (Fun fact: its last job was appearing in the Robin Williams film What Dreams May Come). The ex-HOYT VANDENBERG is another large military ship turned reef that has some fantastic dive photography because of its satellite tracking dishes. (Interestingly, it also had a final job in film; it was the Russian "research ship" in the 1999 turkey Virus.)

Taken together, though, all of this is meant to illustrate that deep ocean can be a very lively - and strange - place. Trenches are generally just too dang deep for life to find anything but a toehold...and an iffy one at that.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members

the lost river is more of a cave, the Marianas Trench is more like a canyon,

currently the zone that comes the closest to resembling the trench is bloodkelp zone 1 (i think)

if their was such a zone it would have to go so deep you and your vehicles would be unable to reach to bottom without taking fatal damage and the most you could do is explore the walls
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Its Already In The Game. As The Mariana Trench Biome Is The Void.
    edited August 2018

the lost river is more of a cave, the Marianas Trench is more like a canyon,

currently the zone that comes the closest to resembling the trench is bloodkelp zone 1 (i think)

if their was such a zone it would have to go so deep you and your vehicles would be unable to reach to bottom without taking fatal damage and the most you could do is explore the walls

Alterra technology will surely be able to handle it