Whats Your Favorite Faction?

Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
edited March 2017 in NS2 General Discussion
Do you prefer the savagery of the Aliens or the organisation and co-operation of the Marines?

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    The aliens ability to move through vents with ease, sneak around and evolve into higher lifeforms with ease is what really makes the aliens special for me. And their abilities...
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited March 2017
    Only reason I play the game is to play aliens. Playing "cat and mouse" and ambushing have always been my preferred playstyle in any fps game.

I loathe playing marine as I hate the "run n gun" playstyle (literally all you do playing marine) plus I've always hated fps games where you shoot at fast moving alien/mutant/zombie enemies.

If NS2 was marine vs marine I probably would've quit after an hour and refunded it.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »
    From my alien perspective, the marines are the savage ones. They invade our homes, kill our young, and attempt to eradicate our entire species.

Well from my perspective, the aliens are evil!
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    fast moving alien/mutant/zombie enemies.

What about Human-on-Human FPS games like BF1 and Titanfall 2?
    fast moving alien/mutant/zombie enemies.

What about Human-on-Human FPS games like BF1 and Titanfall 2?
    BF1 is alright but I don't care much for the engine (buggy movement) and Titanfall 2 is matchmaking so it's not even worth trying...
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    As much as I like the alien gameplay and diversity of abilities, playing run'n'gun (as @MoFo1 put it) is flippin AWESOME. You need strategic thinking coupled with the anxiety of checking every corner and ceiling when entering a room. You can get immersed in the atmosphere so easily. It reminds of the old scream-filled AvP lan session we had x)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Titanfall 2 is matchmaking so it's not even worth trying...

You know how we keep telling you that mindset will hurt you in the long run?

Well, this is it. This is the point. You are missing out on one of the most fun AAA games of all time. You'd love it.

But hey, it has matchmaking. It must suck, right?
    Better not try it.
    @Vetinari
    I've tried plenty of matchmaking based titles and literally every single one of them I had to quit playing because finding games with matchmaking is such a nightmare. I could go on for pages listing all the ways it's broken.

I barely got 40 hours in the first Titanfall before having to uninstall, and I LOVED the gameplay. I'd have well over 4k hours in it by now if it had servers with a browser.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Titanfall 2 is matchmaking so it's not even worth trying...

You know how we keep telling you that mindset will hurt you in the long run?

Well, this is it. This is the point. You are missing out on one of the most fun AAA games of all time. You'd love it.

But hey, it has matchmaking. It must suck, right?
    Better not try it.

Everyone has different priorities. You don't mind having matchmaking, but many people do and it is a valid reason to avoid a game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    What about the third team though? Omnipotent and always watching...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    If this was about NS1 I'd have voted for the Kharaa, but since the Aliens don't have the same level of asymmetry in NS2 I have to go with the Marines.
    If this was about NS1 I'd have voted for the Kharaa, but since the Aliens don't have the same level of asymmetry in NS2 I have to go with the Marines.

The only thing I don't miss is having to spend your own res as alien to drop a hive... although the donate plugin was pretty useful for pooling together a hive :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Perma Gorge (mobile Khamaander) was kinda neat though
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    From my alien perspective, the marines are the savage ones. They invade our homes, kill our young, and attempt to eradicate our entire species.
    And don't forget those creepy things on the end of their limbs that move around, I think they call them fingers. ick.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    TinCan wrote: »
    And don't forget those creepy things on the end of their limbs that move around, I think they call them fingers. ick.

What is with that? I wonder if that is their sexual organs. We will never know. Their species is incapable of intelligent communication.
    TinCan wrote: »

What is with that? I wonder if that is their sexual organs. We will never know. Their species is incapable of intelligent communication.

Yeah, all they keep repeating is something like "ahnee dahmedpek statt". Puny humans.
    I saw some pictures of them with something called a "dog", it looks like they worship those creatures and they have a eerie resemblance of our Skulks... They seem to walk them, feed them, pick up their poop, wash and bath them and groom them.

If only we could come in contact with them, maybe we could communicate through them with these primates...
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shoooot her! Shoooooot her!
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I saw some pictures of them with something called a "dog", it looks like they worship those creatures and they have a eerie resemblance of our Skulks... They seem to walk them, feed them, pick up their poop, wash and bath them and groom them.

If only we could come in contact with them, maybe we could communicate through them with these primates...

I have also witnessed "photos" and "videos" of what they call "cats'. By the looks of it, the use them for comedy but some hoomans have "allergies" related to their cat creatures. Perhaps they could be useful towards our causes...
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Those Spectors creep me out. I think I collided with one of those invisible things the other day and it passed through me and spooked my youngest babblers! Their strange calls of "101" and "n00b lork" are most unnerving.
    You may laugh, but I believe those bipedal metal beings brought those Spectors into our world, with their creepy "light doors" that make them disappear and reappear.
    Those lifeforms often scream "Effor!", my big Ooffuk brothers told me. I must investigate further to find out the meaning behind that call.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    Those Spectors creep me out.
    Haha there is a Tremulous mod/patch that shows spectators in the form of bubbles so whenever you saw bubbles spawning and popping in the middle of the air, there would be a spectator there. Back then computers wasn't that good at rendering and getting too close to the bubbles would cause your framerates to drop drastically especially on integrated graphics.