Stop Shaming The Devs

AgentSkellyAgentSkelly Chicago Illinois At The Moment Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228760Members
Ok so this is my personal opinion but i keep scrolling though the multiple threads here and im noticing that almost half of them are negative and are not supportive towards the games devs. they're trying their hardest to make a great game and make every one happy. but they're
just people and they're trying to make a fun amazing experience but they will try to do everything they can in their power to make every one happy. but there are some things they just cant do though such as multiplayer. ive seen hundreds of negative and offensive comments directed at the devs because they wont be doing multiplayer or co op play. but what these people need to realize it would take YEARS! to rebuild the game for multiplayer because its currently built for single player. and they said they may release another version of the game kinda like dont starve with friends but only after the full release. and only maybe but another topic i see people blaming and shaming the devs over is performance and bugs. ITS A PRE RELEASE PROGRAM! c'mon people games are always bound to run into issues at some point. especially ones in development and theres no need to attack the creators they understand you may be angry or annoyed. but there trying they really are so please just dont be so aggressive towards them there job is already hard enough. Feel free to leave your opinion below. Thanks!

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    You were on a nice roll till you brought up the Taboo subject...

Expect this thread to take a nose dive and then be closed.

• AgentSkellyAgentSkelly Chicago Illinois At The Moment Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228760Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Taboo subject? what did i say that was forbidden?
  • xxxL3gitRushxxxxxxL3gitRushxxx United States Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219606Members

Nothing was Taboo, but Davey might be referring to the Multiplayer thing, which has been brought up way too many times and the discussions have been closed.
  • AgentSkellyAgentSkelly Chicago Illinois At The Moment Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228760Members

Nothing was Taboo, but Davey might be referring to the Multiplayer thing, which has been brought up way too many times and the discussions have been closed.

Oh... yeah now that makes sense
    When will people realise "It's in early access" isn't always an acceptable excuse?
    Yeah, it's in early access, it's pre-release... that's exactly why people are concerned. So, you know, those concerns are dealt with. That's the whole point.

Early access is specifically for addressing complaints/issues/bugs in the hope that what ever issue is fixed/mitigated before 1.0 release.

As long as complaints etc. are presented and and addressed respectfully they should be more than welcome. (If not, then fine, they're just being obstructive and not helpful.) Otherwise what the hell are we doing here?

Criticism should always be welcome if you hope to improve anything.

I can agree with that im just talking about the overly aggressive comments and threads but yes Criticism is fine in my book
    i totally agree because the devs would not know what to fix and chase after other wise
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    At least this isn't a online PVP game where people constantly complain about others being better than them......
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    At least this isn't a online PVP game where people constantly complain about others being better than them......

Well we do have the:

Plays marines, can't kill aliens, blames aliens for being overpowered
    Plays aliens, can't kill marines, blames marines for being overpowered

:D
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    @AgentSkelly - While I agree that some people get carried away, and personally have nothing bad to say about UWE, you should bear 2 things in mind;
    1. This is the internet - there are always going to be... undesirables we'll call them - the people that can't help but ruin the online dialogue with inexplicable ignorance and/or rage.
    2. Sometimes the people who express their opinions inappropriately nonetheless have a good point.
    3. The devs know about #1 & #2. They are not dumb - they fully expect to get the undesirables as well as sane human beings, because they know that this is the internet and avoiding them is basically impossible. And they are capable of parsing the useful bits from the foaming rage spittle filled rants if there are any to be found. That isn't to say that the behavior is acceptable, but try not to let it get to you.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members

Yeah. Git Gud!! :D
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Well we do have the:

Plays marines, can't kill aliens, blames aliens for being overpowered
    Plays aliens, can't kill marines, blames marines for being overpowered

:D

Russian bias.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    GET GUD M8888888

I'm terribly sorry, sir
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    edited March 2017
    @scifiwriterguy - As a guy who's loving the hell out of Andromeda... Yeah, they really SHOULD have polished it more. My PC can handle it and I haven't run into anything game-breaking, but even at my most merciful my comment to the Bioware team that made Andromeda is "Okay guys, good start... Now pay attention to where you're falling short, and if/when you make another game and I want another Andromeda game oh god, then for the love of the Protheans do better"

(Like, the whole 'Well Bioware delegated the game to a subteam that's never actually done a full game on their own is an explanation, not an excuse, and one followed by 'Bioware probably shouldn't have pushed a new game for one of their flagship IPs onto their C-team')

OT: So, yeah, I dunno if I'd call the majority of the negative posts 'shaming the devs'. Worst I'd say is a bit hyperbolic. I mean, sure, there's people who spout things like "No MP no guns 0/10 this game will die" but they're in the minority. Mosts of the critiques I've seen here have been like "Each time I try to scan a Seamoth fragment my game implodes", which is KIND OF what you need to report to make sure the game is in good shape come full release.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Russian bias.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here @phantomfinch and guess you play War Thunder?
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited March 2017
    While I think it's pointless to complain on the forum about something that has been confirmed from the very beginning to NOT be in the game...

I don't think we should give the devs too much leeway to the point where it turns into absolute obedient loyalty. We lose our power as consumers at that point. And I think that leads to a bad game generally.

That is why I am hesitant with the intentions of saying, "They're working as hard as they can" and "Give them a break" or so on. A reasonable consumer will expect the quality product that the resources given can produce. But that doesn't mean I can't give them hell over things that I think will be an issue for me in the long run of things.

Like my opinion on the game's difficulty, or lack thereof.

Which is why I think it does more harm than good to become not just attached to a product, but loyal to it. You don't see what others would otherwise be able to; you have a bias. And thus the game may suffer as a result, especially if they take into consideration only those on this forum; usually the people here are here for two reasons; to complain about unreasonable things, or to express their joy for the game or ideas.

That's just my opinion and observation. Fair enough, devs are working hard, but as a consumer that is of no concern to me. I want the product that the resources they have call for; whether or not they work hard is irrelevant to me if the product is of a lower quality than I expect.

Just take a look at Mass Effect: Andromeda. The game, from what I heard, isn't completely horrible, but given the resources, money, and power behind the game with 5+ years of work, a lot of the mediocre to low quality effort and glitches that still made it in the game are unacceptable to most people. With the AAA standard that game will be put to the fire comparatively. Anyone who, given these circumstances, accepts the game for what it is... fair enough, you do you. But don't tell me I should accept it with your "objective lens" and "see the game as it is". If I do that I leave myself vulnerable to games that are cut short of quality to sell. Using that excuse is ironically making your defense less objective. Take into consideration the resources put into the game, and expect a particular quality in return.

With a game like Subnautica, I should put it to the fire when it falls short of the quality I KNOW the team is capable of. That's why I'm so hard on the Dev team for difficulty. I know they are capable of balancing the game out so that it's fun to explore and survive in.

It seems to me like the Consumers of the Gaming Industry are blamed for what goes wrong a lot of the times. Sick of that. So no I won't stop shaming the Devs if they shame is reasonable. In fact, you should be glad if I do that with a transparent team. It gives them more opportunities to satisfy the consumer. Criticism can do a lot of good. Just take a look at Titanfall 2 compared to the original Titanfall.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hey I'm still waiting on purple pants for my Fade, there has been zero progress on that even with me having a zero tolerance policy on that. It seems to even out that way... AND they even had the audacity to have @Hugh walk around in orange pants, without having written permission from our Queen at the time :D

So um... UWE is pants, is what I'm sayin' :trollface:

/me hides
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    Hey I'm still waiting on purple pants for my Fade, there has been zero progress on that even with me having a zero tolerance policy on that. It seems to even out that way... AND they even had the audacity to have @Hugh walk around in orange pants, without having written permission from our Queen at the time :D

So um... UWE is pants, is what I'm sayin' :trollface:

/me hides

I think I speak for...all of us, actually, when I say:

"PLEASE for the love of Peepers, give @Kouji_San pants! Things are getting weird in the forum lobby. And kinda awkward. Guy with a ski mask, a knife, suit jacket, and no pants...it's not setting a great tone."
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    @Kyman201 There was an excellent roundtable hosted by Gamasutra on the hows and whys of Andromeda's problems. It's really worth a read by anybody; it sheds light on how tortured the average game's development path is. Here's the link.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    "PLEASE for the love of Peepers, give @Kouji_San pants! Things are getting weird in the forum lobby. And kinda awkward. Guy with a ski mask, a knife, suit jacket, and no pants...it's not setting a great tone."

Also, im starting to doubt the degree of cleanliness of his underwears ''pinch nose''
    edited March 2017
    *cloaks*

<span style="color:dimgrey;font-size:4pt">Stop Shaming The Kouji</span>
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Russian bias.

Or World of Tanks. :)
  • QboQbo Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223264Members
    there trying there hardest to make a great game and make every one happy. but there just people and there trying to make a fun amazing experience but they will try to do everything they can in there power to make every one happy. but theres some things they just cant do though such as multiplayer.

not trying to be a prick, but

They're trying their hardest to make a great game and make every one happy. but they're just people and they're trying to make a fun amazing experience but they will try to do everything they can in their power to make every one happy. but there are some things they just cant do though such as multiplayer.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited March 2017
    Qbo wrote: »
    there trying there hardest to make a great game and make every one happy. but there just people and there trying to make a fun amazing experience but they will try to do everything they can in there power to make every one happy. but theres some things they just cant do though such as multiplayer.

not trying to be a prick, but

They're trying their hardest to make a great game and make every one happy. but they're just people and they're trying to make a fun amazing experience but they will try to do everything they can in their power to make every one happy. but there are some things they just cant do though such as multiplayer.

Not trying to be a prick, fellow Grammar Nazi, but...
    Capitalise that N and use punctuation!

gwf9i4f4cnd2.jpg

• TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    STUPID GRAMMAR NAZIS! *Insert Very High Pitch Cloner Xenomorph Screech Here*
  • QboQbo Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223264Members
    Not trying to be a prick, fellow Grammar Nazi, but...
    Capitalise that N and use punctuation!

It won't happen again, Sir!

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Russian bias.

Or World of Tanks. :)

Na I'm not a fan of HP bars.
    edited March 2017
    Going off-topic here, but I'm just so disapointed with these new/modern WW1/WW2 games...
    Whenever I see trailers for those tank games, my inner WW2 purist wants to go to war. The ballistics are amazing, but it's so damn arcady

Same goes for BF1, which is so far removed from historical accuracy it's not even funny. But weirdly the thing pissing me off the most is that female computerized bitching Betty along with the short short range "sniping" and people posting videos about how gud they are, pathetic 50meter shots

Come back when you shoot someone over 400m with a crappy Arisaka type 99 or heck, let's just use the older yet more accurate WW1 era Lee Enfield No.4 Mk 1

Forgotten Hope a BF1942 mod is still the best complete WW2 war game to date, but it is outdated in terms of looks, which is sad because it is a game with such a good skill floor and also so much depth and content! And with complete I mean all countries and army/navy/airforce units and proper ballistics and armor deflection values! It's not too simlike and not too arcady. It's just in that sweet spot where a game should be! It's basically what BF1942 should've been from the start...

The same goes for Battlefield 1918...

It's just a sad display that, with all this new tech, all they did was improve the visuals to super sexy mode. BUT!!! Completely fuck up the gameplay and depth. BF series has started to go more and more into arcady run and jump infantry combat with a few vehicles thrown into the mix. Friggin' shallow games, I wold love to see a new FH on the newest BF engine and show Dice and EA how you should make a game

FH2 just doesn't do it for me either, with that buggy/laggy BF2 engine :(
    edited March 2017
    Going off-topic here, but I'm just so disapointed with these new/modern WW1/WW2 games...
    Whenever I see trailers for those tank games, my inner WW2 purist wants to go to war. The ballistics are amazing, but it's so damn arcady

Same goes for BF1, which is so far removed from historical accuracy it's not even funny. But weirdly the thing pissing me off the most is that female computerized bitching Betty...

Forgotten Hope a BF1942 mod is still the best complete WW2 war game to date, but it is outdated in terms of looks, which is sad because it is a game with such a good skill floor and also so much depth and content! And with complete I mean all countries and army/navy/airforce units and proper ballistics and armor deflection values! It's not too simlike and not too arcady. It's just in that sweet spot where a game should be! It's basically what BF19742 should've been from the start...

The same goes for Battlefield 1918...

It's just a sad display that, with all this new tech, all they did was improve the visuals to super sexy mode. BUT!!! Completely fuck up the gameplay and depth. BF series has started to go more and more into arcady run and jump infantry combat with a few vehicles thrown into the mix. Friggin' shallow games, I wold love to see a new FH on the newest BF engine and show Dice and EA how you should make a game

FH2 just doesn't do it for me either, with that buggy/laggy BF2 engine :(

War thunder is a pretty accurate ww2 sim.
    The Germans are slow but have some of the best guns (in fact the only tanks that can stand up to them were developed during the Cold War)
    The British are..... there
    The American are fast
    The soviets have thick armour and are bias as fuk
    And the Japanese are target practice.

It features tanks, planes and soon to have naval combat as well.

This discussion has been closed.